Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan speed/cpu temp sanity check

Options
  • 08-10-2007 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

I have new build up and running (Gigabyte Poseidon case with 2 x 12cm Fans, Gigabyte 965P/DS3 MOBO, Intel Core 2 6700 @ 2.66Ghz, Zalman 7700 cooler).

As I am new to this game I just wanted to check with you if the fan speeds and cpu/system temperatures I am seeing are in line with what should be expected. I have removed the "Fan Mate" variable speed controller from the cooler and plugged directly to the MOBO.
    (With the Fan mate the fan was sometime stopping but temp of CPU still stayed around 30 degrees)
    (My system fan, i.e. the rear case fan, has a problem kicking in on boot up - it needs a gentle tap and off it goes - need to open case with Komplett)
    (My BIOS is running Smart Fan Control Method - Auto)

High CPU Usage (60%)
    CPU - Fan RPM = 1400, Temperature = 44 degrees c
    System - Fan RPM = 520, Temperature = 37 degrees c

Low CPU Usage
    CPU - Fan RPM = 1050, Temperature = 30 degrees c
    System - Fan RPM = 500, Temperature = 35 degrees c

Are the above in line with what I should expect? I am worried that things are running a bit slow, as if not enough voltage is being routed to the fans and could be the contributing factor to the rear case fan needing a gentle tap to get it going.
    The system HW monitor alarms on the CPU running less than 2000 RPM and the System running at less than 1000 RPM - alarms are turned off needless to say.

I have turned off the Smart Fan Control and RPM's fly up (CPU=2000, System= 1000) but so too does the noise. Would prefer the MOBO to control the fan(s) so that they run in quiet mode. Smart Fan only looks to be configurable for the CPU (60 degrees= 100% and 20 degrees = 30%) so it seems that I would continue to have problem with the rear case fan kicking in.

Confused? I am !!
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

as if not enough voltage is being routed to the fans and could be the contributing factor to the rear case fan needing a gentle tap to get it going.

:rolleyes: Exactly what i think, download Speedfan & use it to control the fans instead of what your using.

What utility are you using to measure temps? Cant really comment on temps unless i know what measured them. Best utility is Core temp as it reads the temperature directly from a sensor on the chip (most motherboard utilities read from a sensor on the mobo). There can be a 10-15' difference in the measurements depending on which sensor is used.

What are you using to stress your cpu, i'd suggest using orthos, it'l run both cores to 100% for maximum temperatures.

Now its time 2 warm that baby up by overclocking it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭nibble

Straight off those temps look to be perfectly safe for the cpu, generally if you keep them under 65C loaded your good. To get a better idea of your max temps when the cpu is stressed download orthos run the small ffts test and read temps with core temp as Pog said. Probably just the HW monitor is misconfigured.

Advertisement