Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower leaking through tiles

Options
  • 08-10-2007 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

There is a damp patch all up the outside of our shower (just up where the stall meets the wall) and on the kitchen ceiling below. There seem to be gaps in the tiles at the bottom (grouting I think is the technical term). Also, where the shower tray meets the wall is a kind of rail thing that does not look like it has any kind of sealant. I'm assuming there should be something.

How do I try and fix this? I am a total novice at this type of stuff but willing to have a go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Vic 23

Hi,

Have you tried using a dehumidifier to dry out the area? This will take about a week to reduce the humidity levels until the area is completely dry, ready for you to repair the damage.

Check out http://www.ebac.com for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

While you do need to dry out the area it first needs to be put out of use to prevent further moisture from getting into the crack. It's quite common to have a leak in this area - I had the shower tray drop 7mm in my case and I had to pump the gap with silicon sealant to fill it.
    Grout is brittle and isn't ideal in these locations due to this fact.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Similar thing happened me, I just filled the gap with silicone which seems to have fixed the problem.

Advertisement