Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me?

Options
  • 08-10-2007 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hi everyone,

I am having trouble deciding on a name for my baby, which by the way is due in 2days:confused:

Can anyone help me find a unique/ relatively nice name for my baby.

I am not sure of the gender of the baby so I need both boy and girl names.

If anyone has any websites that you think would be usefull to me could you leave a message.

Thanks a million guys...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hi, there's a Parenting forum where I'm sure they know all about this. Here

OT, Stephen Bantu Biko is my suggestion. Best of luck with the baby!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

andrew ftw

or sínead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

i now you are looking fo websites but i dont know any. I like the names Phoebe and Sinead for a girl and Oisin for a boy. Just 3 suggestions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i always thought Saoirse was a lovely girls name.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

violet
    ruby
    vera
    mollie
    elodie

fiachra
    finian
    charlie
    cassius (cass for short - after cassius clay)

britney
    justin

ok the last two were jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

My own top 5 girls names were

Rhiannon, Imogen, Matilda, Lois and Eabha. Chose Rhiannon in the end.

Only boys names I had picked were Rhys and Conall.

http://www.babynames.com

http://www.babynamesnetwork.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Conal is a nice name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tyranis

i always loved the name manu for a boy...its german for matthew!
    poppy and heather are nice girls names!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Just dont name your kid something that they have to spell every time someone asks them their name. I recommend Tom, its always done me well. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

embee wrote:
    My own top 5 girls names were

Rhiannon, Imogen, Matilda, Lois and Eabha. Chose Rhiannon in the end.
    what the?! why not Haemoglobin too :confused: weird name.. anyway, Rhi is a good name :)
    Only boys names I had picked were Rhys and Conall.
    a weird name my cousin named his child was 'Skye' or if male, it was planned 'Skylar'

anyway.. Is bhfearr liomsa ainm gaeilge :D

best of luck with the name/baby!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

tyranis wrote:
    i always loved the name manu for a boy...its german for matthew!
    poppy and heather are nice girls names!!

So what's Matthias then?
    I thought that was the German for Matthew?

Anyhow, Maia is nice for a girl and goes with most surnames, Joe is nice and simple for a boy.
    Conor is also an understated name.
    Ehm, I like Eleanor. A weird one I heard recently is Beibhinn, pronounced Bay-veen. I always thought that meant baby pig. Apparently not.

Then again I was going to be called Rebecca, until I was born and my mother said that after looking at me, it didn't suit me, and picked the name of a boat she saw a few weeks previously in a harbour. :/
    Maybe you'll get a similar intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Always likes Evan, Ryan or for a girl, Ava or Eva.

Nothing too complicated!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Myself and the Sis love Irish names even though no one in our family has one or is there any history of them (actually come to think of it, it's the only thing we agree on :) ) She lives in Switzerland with her Swiss German husband and her two kids are called Oisin and Aoife. I just love the whole history and romance of the Irish names.

http://www.babynamesofireland.com/
    http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/iri.php
    http://www.ireland-information.com/heraldichall/irishfirstnames.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭kf1920

Seanies32 wrote:
    Always likes Evan, Ryan or for a girl, Ava or Eva.

Nothing too complicated!

I prefer the irish version of ava, Aoibhe(pronounced the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

Now you see, wasn't there a very good reason for the tradition of naming eldest boy/girl after their paternal/maternal grandparents! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

what about Serena or Letha for a girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

dade wrote:
    what about Serena or Letha for a girl?

Seriously? Thinking butch tennis player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

What about Elizabeth or Louise for a girl? They're not all that common now. Look back at your family tree and pick something from years back. I can't bear all these Rhiannons and Sians-we're not Welsh for God' sake. The worst I've heard recently are Poppy and Jayden-that's a boy's name by the way!
    My girls are Louise and Elizabeth and the lads Kevin and Gearoid. Uncommon enough but not too way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

yvonne for a girl. (its my own name and i managed to go through all of school without anyone having same name! unlike the 5 amys in my class!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭angelicsaz

arkadia, amelia, ildiko, tessa for girls
    oden, griffen,noah for boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Ciara, Aoife, Megan, Kathryn, Fern for girls
    Ethan, Thomas, Dylan, Kevin, Ryan, Adam for boys

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Unfortunately I can't be of any help to you as I was in the same position 3 years ago. We had no girls names and only one boys name (rhys) - thankfully we had a boy.....

Best of luck with the remainder of the pregnancy & birth. Don't forget to post again in a few weeks with pics & the name you finally choose.

All the best ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Apologies to any Ryans (or their parents) reading, but it brings Mr. "Breastfeeding in public is like p*ssing in the street" Tubridy to mind :eek:

We were thinking about Ronan for a boy's name, but (a) we remembered about Mr. Keating (b) Mr. O'Gara didn't exactly cover himself in glory in the rugby world cup!!! so we're back to square one. At least we have until March. Not sure of baby's gender yet but thinking of asking at the later scan.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Mr. "Breastfeeding in public is like p*ssing in the street" Tubridy
    Gah please tell me did not say that !!!!

I do believe that names should have a reason and a story behing them.

Both mine have names taken from the Táin and I tell them the stories of thier names.

Names that are kept in the family are lovely too but not if they are going to cause stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭emmiou

I've named my little boy Naoise, but also really like Oisin, Ruadhan and Fionn. For a girl I had picked Laragh and Sionna. All irish but also uncommon enough to avoid having many kids in the classroom with the same name!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Girl:
    Angelina Jolie.

Boy:
    Max Fightmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Lizzykins wrote: »
    What about Elizabeth or Louise for a girl? They're not all that common now. Look back at your family tree and pick something from years back. I can't bear all these Rhiannons and Sians-we're not Welsh for God' sake. The worst I've heard recently are Poppy and Jayden-that's a boy's name by the way!
    My girls are Louise and Elizabeth and the lads Kevin and Gearoid. Uncommon enough but not too way out.

The OP wants a unique name. I wouldn't have said Elizabeth or Louise were unique in the slightest.

My daughters name is Rhiannon. Its Welsh. Could it have occured to you for even a second that perhaps I have Welsh ancestry? Yeah, we're not all Welsh. Here's a heads up - we're not all Irish either.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Thaedydal wrote:
    Gah please tell me did not say that !!!!

Yes, he did, the Broadcasting Complaints Commission didn't uphold the complaint because it was supposedly 'humorous' :rolleyes:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

how do you say that name Rhiannon -- is it ree - annon ???
    im not due my lil sprog for 4 months

so far i have caitlin or katy for short, bronwyn (welsh)

and i havnt a clue for a boy, - maybe ciaran or summit irish

(sorry im really bad at spelling) :p

Advertisement