Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

Whitney for a girl, Westlife for a boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭karen3212

I just met someone called Oran the other day. Thought it was nice, I've never met an Oran before.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Daniel or Caoimhe...they were our second choice names.

I always like Sennan, Tristan & Breen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

What happened to the good solid names like Mary and John? If all the children were just called Mary and John there'd be none of this messing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

You won't find a unique name unless you are going to give a child a complete way out name like Moon Unit or something daft like that. And the point about Rhiannon or Sian is, in my opinion don't use them unless your second name is Evans, Phillips or Rhys-Jones, not Kelly or O'Sullivan! It's just my own preference-everyone has the right to call their child what they want. I hear that in France and Denmark there is a list of names you must pick from and they have to relevant to those countries either historically or culturally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Girls names I've always liked are Aoife, Chloe, Ava, Rachel and Kate

Boys names : James, Conor, Ciaran, Matthew and Andrew.

Nothing too far out but out of all of them I only went to school with one Aoife and one Conor so not incredibly popular either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Bards

my advice would be to pick a name that he will not be bullied by in later years or cause confusion in his professional life..

the name belongs to the child and he/she will have it for their entire lives so please bear this in mind and make it simple

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DeVore wrote: »
    Just dont name your kid something that they have to spell every time someone asks them their name.
    DeV.

Sound advise - its a pain in the ass. Especially when driving licenses etc come and they've got the wrong name on them etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Lizzykins wrote: »
    I hear that in France and Denmark there is a list of names you must pick from and they have to relevant to those countries either historically or culturally.

lol yeah, and next they'll be telling them what they should wear, eat, think, say, do....

Anyone has any right to give their child whatever name they like, regardless of their surnames, ethnicity. To say that someone with a perceived "Irish" surname shouldn't use a Welsh/Chinese/Uzbekistani first name is just crazy imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Ava, Eva, Aoibhe, Aoife, Sara, Sarah, Emily, Ciara, Eimear, Conor, Cian, Rory Ryan, Robert, Jack are some of the most popular names in the last couple of years

I haven't met too many of the following names especially in children
    Nicholas
    Isobel
    Adrienne
    Adrian
    Leah
    Elliot
    Henry
    Sandra
    Patricia
    Monica
    Ruth
    Tim/Timothy

See what names go with the surname, also see how the initials work out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

embee wrote: »
    lol yeah, and next they'll be telling them what they should wear, eat, think, say, do....

Anyone has any right to give their child whatever name they like, regardless of their surnames, ethnicity. To say that someone with a perceived "Irish" surname shouldn't use a Welsh/Chinese/Uzbekistani first name is just crazy imo.

Course you have the right to call your child whatever name you want. But you'll find the really popular popular names will date badly. When my eldest was born 18 years ago Sarah was the most popular girls name and likewise 35 years ago when my sister was born Lisa was the most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

emmiou wrote: »
    I've named my little boy Naoise, but also really like Oisin, Ruadhan and Fionn. For a girl I had picked Laragh and Sionna. All irish but also uncommon enough to avoid having many kids in the classroom with the same name!

I love the name Naoise for a boy but so many people are calling girls that name...and thats fine until their daughter realises she was named after the most handsome man in Ireland (focloir). Love Aoibhe, Aoibhinn, Cillian and Diarmuid.

Have you had the baby yet? If not, all the best!!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Course you have the right to call your child whatever name you want. But you'll find the really popular popular names will date badly. When my eldest was born 18 years ago Sarah was the most popular girls name and likewise 35 years ago when my sister was born Lisa was the most popular.

Popular names I find are generally safe names, like Emma, Rachel, Louise etc... but imo they don't age any better or any worse than more unusual names. I guess its just a matter of opinion though - I'd never in a million years call a daughter of mine a very common name, but then, some people would never in a million years give their daughter a more unusual name like Rhiannon.

One thing I DO object to is people using zeitgeist-y names and regretting it... how many 18 year old Kylies are out there? I remember when I was in 6th year, there was a pregnant girl in my year who had a girl and named her "Shania"... can't help feeling that naming your child after a popstar is not a good way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I remember reading an article about a couple in Lybia in 1990 who tried to call thier son "Scud". The Goverment wouldnt allow it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭galwaygirleen

I chose Sheila for my lil girl but i love Laoise, Naoise,Hannah, Ruby, Stella and Sheana
    for a boy i had David, Matthew, Shane, Daniel, Johnathan. Congrats!! and you will know the minute your lil one is born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

i like ruben for a boy, or troy but hubbie says they'll be bullied in the playground!!
    for a girl if you like irish doireann is good. although i do like mia. in my career ive come across every childs name you can imagine, and funnily enough you assosiate the child to the name, so a lot are out of the question! (i work in childcare!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Names I like: Gabriel (Gabe), Elijah (Eli), Matthew, Aimee, Naomi, Michaela, Ava

Boy's Irish names: Turlough, Fiachra, Killian, Oisin, Finn

Girl's Irish names: Aoibhinn (Ay-veen), Saorla, Aoife, Sadb, Saidhbhin (Suh-veen)

And just for coolness: Scorpius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aoife13/01/2008

I like the name Alex for a boy and Ellie or leianna for a girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

I love Cadhladh for a girl, pronounce Kyla. I cant remeber the meaning but it is really nice. I also like Rowan, i think it is nice and different
    Boys names, Phelim and Caleb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

How did things go? What name did you decide on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 NiamhEile

andrew wrote: »
    andrew ftw

or sínead.

It's 'Sinéad'. If you spell it 'Sínead' she'll be called 'Sheeenid'.

Advertisement