Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options in Phibsboro (want to move away from bt)

Options
  • 08-10-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I've been with BT for a year or so now. While the line is grant the 10gig cap for 1mb is just a joke tbh and i find my self (BB shared between 4) restricing usage. Recently they upped their rates as well (thats a mater for a different thread) and from looking around here are my options (according to broadband.gov.ie)

BT - Who I'm with now and would like to move away from
    Digiweb DSL - Similar Pricing to BT. Do they re-sell the eircom product like bt?
    Eircom DSL - cheaper that BT (new to me) with the exception of the 3mb package
    Imag!ne Broadband - Cheap, caps as bad as eircom and bt. Not sure if i have heard anything good about them
    Irish Broadband ADSL - No cap which sounds sweet (fair usage policy i believe). 1mb cheapest except imagine's package. Not sure what its like - isn't their wireless terrible?
    Magnet - Only seem to do fibre not sure why that site listed it (interesting thou)
    Perlico - Terrible caps so wont even consider
    Smart Telecom - I actually taught they went bust. Only have 3mb (is it a solid 3mb?) but still cheap, nearly half of what other offer 3mb at.

I'm edging towards IBB ADSL because they seem to undercut nearly all others in price except smart who i would also consider if they actually offer a solid package.
    With both of them if i can get a solid connection providing the advertised speed (or better :D ) then i would be nearly happy.
    Nearly because i'd like to have good pings for playing ut online.

What are peoples experience with the above mentioned packages (mailnly IBB ADSL and smart)?

And if this works my little comparison table in order of price:

Provider Package Price Cap
    Imagine 1mb 9.99 10
    Imagine 2mb 19.99 20
    IBB 1mb 21.95 none
    BT 1mb 22.50 10.00
    Smart 3mb 24.18 none
    Digiweb 1mb 24.95 10.00
    Eircom 1mb 24.99 10
    IBB 2mb 28.95 none
    Digiweb 2mb 29.95 20.00
    Eircom 2mb 29.99 20
    Imagine 3mb 29.99 30
    BT 2mb 32.50 20.00
    IBB 3mb 39.95 none
    Digiweb 3mb 42.34 40.00
    BT 3mb 42.50 30.00
    Eircom 3mb 48.40 30

Jozi

EDIT: Didn't factory in line rental for the above. On the broadband and talk option now with bt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Just so you know I'm on the Phibsboro exchange and there's no Smart available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

i have IBB just up from Phibsboro on Mobhi Road. Its fine, i have the 2mb conection and have a programme tracking my total dl and ul and totals etc and i get 240 both ways. although now it seems they are throttling bittorrent which will push me away if it's not sorted soon. Also i use an ftp based in Canada quite a bit and i get it hard to get my proper speeds sometimes. Acutally all the time until the admin gave me an altervative link but the speeds go all over the place (all above 100 mind you) and the admin of it have told me it seems i have a dogey connection? Im not sure if that is true, dl's use to be 100% on it then 4 months into it after each dl at 170 or so it wud creep along at 5 - 20 until i aborted and restarted and then someytimes i'd get it back to 170 but eventually it just seemd to completely die until they gacve me the new path which is working fine now. anyone shed any light on that for me?

Advertisement