Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie pages loading slower than a turd easing out of ones ass :(

Options
  • 09-10-2007 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

The yoke at the bottom says
    admin+srv1@boards.ie Page generated in [B]0.16707[/B] seconds with [B]10[/B] queries

but in fact it took 20 to 30 seconds for the page to load, due to ads.boards.ie taking it's sweet time.

At the moment, the following ads are in place, in the forums I'm visiting:
    "xbox360 live"
    "google ads" * 3
    "save €300 with Digiweb"
    Listed them in case they're to blame. Rather not just resort to blocking boards.ie ads again, but the fingers hovering over the "block all from ads.boards.ie" tick box, tbh.

Thus my qustion is: is this "normal", or did one of the load-boxes blow?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There is a problem loading up the ads. If you switch to the mobile theme it should speed things up a lot until one of the admins fixes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Slower than hell for me... It's actually taking longer than a minute now. :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Seriously lads switch to the mobile theme. I'm on it now and it flies along. This happened earlier and regi said that the adverts server was very laggy and it's services needed restarting. Because the mobile theme doesn't load the ads it doesn't suffer from the lag.

But the mobile theme sucks :(

It beats not being able to use boards at all.

• Advertisement

It doesn't seem to let me switch to the mobile theme for some reason. If I open up a forum, it goes back to the regular theme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Same for me, tried switching to mobile. But as soon as you view another page it switched to default.
    admin+srv5@boards.ie Page generated in 0.25782 seconds with 10 queries

iirc boards.ie installed a new 8 core (2 x 4 core ) 16gb ram box today. Maybe it has not been setup properly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You need to navigate to the new page FROM a page which is open in mobile. If you try to link to it from a page which you already had open in your default setting it will open it in that. Pain in the arse, i know!

EDIT: oh, and the front page always seems to open in default for me, regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

only been able to get on boards this morning by adblocking ads.boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It's taken me 50 minutes to make this post.
    I can't even get in to the forums I mod to act on a reported post email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Someone needs to recombobulate the thingiemajig, i actually had to do some work last night !! :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

@ Hagar: Rabies caught that one I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

We didn't install anything new yet.

The ad server is slow - if it happens again, block the adverts, use a different browser (bet you are all using firefox), or change skin.

I'm gonna make some changes now too.

Seems to be flying now again regi. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks, Mr Magnolia.

I just installed Firefox (was on IE6) and used adblocker as Ruggie suggested. And it's working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Cheers, Regi.
    regi wrote:
    use a different browser (bet you are all using firefox)
    Was same on Firefox or IE ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Hagar wrote:
    Thanks, Mr Magnolia.

I just installed Firefox (was on IE6) and used adblocker as Ruggie suggested. And it's working fine.

Yep, I just fixed it.

FF here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Whoever takes more than 30 seconds for a poop to come out of their bottom needs more roughage in their diet. Or less, I have no idea about consistency vs diet tbh. Although I know that I have had very quick ejections in the past and if boards speeded along at the rate of those ejections; it'd be cool.

Thanks Regi! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Good man regi. Still seems a small bit slower then normal. But more then useable.

Good stuff regi.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

regi wrote:
    use a different browser (bet you are all using firefox)

masochism

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

It went bang again tonight for me and a few others I've been talking to. Blocking ads.boards.ie (temporarily of course :)) has fixed it for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Ditto.

Gone again, back using the mobile theme, which at least seems to be working now, so it ain't all bad. ;)

Blockinf ads.boards.ie doesn't fix it for me.

Yay! Working again! :D

*jumps up and clicks heels*

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement