Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record players/Turntables

Options
  • 09-10-2007 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

I know nothing about vinyl, records, and turntables.

When I was about 7, I broke our record player. This was the late 80s, hard times, so it wasn't replaced.

Now I'm looking for a turntable for the purpose of sampling. (not DJ'ing)

What sort of outputs do most turntables come with? I know there are USB turntables, but Im on a tight budget, and I have a soundcard with various inputs anyway.

Is there anything I need to know?

How about something like this:
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/numark_pt01_tragbarer_plattenspieler.htm

Will that thing fit an LP? :eek:
    ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

That one looks fine for sampling as it outputs at line level. Most record players you'd need a mixer/preamp to bring them up to line level.

It's got RCA outputs on it so should be no problem for your PC's soundcard.

It does say though that it's 12"x12", the size of an actual LP... Don't think it'd fit unless it was poking off the side which might not be a problem.

Aha, From the CNet review:
    The small 7-inch platter includes a felt mat and can accommodate 12-inch records; felt "buttons" in four corners away from the platter protect larger records from abrasion. The platter is pretty stable--you can even scratch on it--but the 12-inch record protrudes a few inches past the unit's footprint.

http://reviews.cnet.com/turntables/numark-pt-01/4505-7860_7-31427536.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Thanks Steveland. :) Very helpfull.

G to the neven 4real :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Word

(also make sure you have a few inches clearance on the side of the record player for the thing to, ya know, spin... I hear those "vinyl-disk" things like to spin... It could literally rip your face off!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

lol cool. So if anyone trys to break into my studio they'll get a slice of Clannads greatest hits in the neck. :D

Not that I'd be listening to Clannad much :o

Advertisement