Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnel closed tonight?

Options
  • 09-10-2007 8:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

I saw the info sign by the Sarsfield Road roundabout flashing something about a tunnel closure from 20:00 to 07:00 but I was past it too quickly to see when. Tried googling some info but there didn't seem to be anything out there. Anybody know more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

wednesday, thursday and friday this week as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

that be correct.. According to signs I've seen it's wed-fri from 8pm to 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

more of the usual nonsense with the tunnel!

Seriously, is there a fundamental problem with the tunnel that sees it being closed for maintenance so often?? How much money is being spent on it over the years??

I heard rumours about it leaking etc?? Surely this is a joke or is it another typically Irish problem! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

more of the usual nonsense with the tunnel!

Seriously, is there a fundamental problem with the tunnel that sees it being closed for maintenance so often?? How much money is being spent on it over the years??

I heard rumours about it leaking etc?? Surely this is a joke or is it another typically Irish problem! :mad:

Nah
    Its some polish truck driver ran into it a few months back and their continuing repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Truck damage is finished. They close the tunnel overnight every few months for routine maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Yes. The tunnel is designed to leak a bit - it's probably cheaper than having it actually air-tight or something - but the engineers never factored in tidal forces, so it leaks more than it should. They have to shut it down for maintenance every so often. The good news is that the cost of the maintenance was built into the contract with the company that built the tunnel so they have to pay for their **** up......for now. I've heard the contract expires next year.

Building a tunnel under an estuary and not accounting for tidal forces - genius.

Yes. The tunnel is designed to leak a bit - it's probably cheaper than having it actually air-tight or something - but the engineers never factored in tidal forces, so it leaks more than it should. They have to shut it down for maintenance every so often. The good news is that the cost of the maintenance was built into the contract with the company that built the tunnel so they have to pay for their **** up......for now. I've heard the contract expires next year.

Building a tunnel under an estuary and not accounting for tidal forces - genius.

oh right, thanks for the info Blitzkrieger. yes, a great bunch of clowns in charge of that tunnel I see!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

rymus wrote:
    that be correct.. According to signs I've seen it's wed-fri from 8pm to 7am

Thanks, BTW. Must try and get through before it closes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

They close the tunnel overnight every few months for routine maintenance.

aye tis true.. It's an ongoing project, applying more PVA glue to the papier mache to keep it all semi solid for another month. Or is it that we're now averaging one dopey truck driver a month?

rymus wrote:
    aye tis true.. It's an ongoing project, applying more PVA glue to the papier mache to keep it all semi solid for another month. Or is it that we're now averaging one dopey truck driver a month?

there are plenty of dopey truck drivers but maybe only one dopey truck driver with no English or a basic grasp of international road signs :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/roadstransportation/trafficdivision/roadclosuresanddiversions/

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and for ppl to cant find the info,

Wednesday 10th October 2007
    The Jack Lynch Tunnel will be closed from 08.00pm Wednesday night to 07.00am Thursday morning to facilitate scheduled maintenance

Thursday 11th October 2007
    The Jack Lynch Tunnel will be closed from 08.00pm Thursday night to 07.00am Friday morning to facilitate scheduled maintenance

Friday 12th October 2007
    The Jack Lynch Tunnel will be closed from 08.00pm Friday night to 07.00am Saturday morning to facilitate scheduled maintenance

AND wait there is more. LIVE!

Jack Lynch Tunnel – Temporary Maintenance Closure
    10th – 13th October 2007
    Notice is hereby given that a section of the South Ring Road (N25) between Dunkettle Interchange and Mahon Interchange, including the Jack Lynch Tunnel & Tunnel Management Building /Little Island access road will be closed to normal traffic overnight for three successive nights as follows.:

08.00 p.m. on Wednesday 10th Oct 07 until 07.00 a.m. on Thursday 11th Oct 07.

08.00 p.m. on Thursday 11th Oct 07 until 07.00 a.m. on Friday 12th Oct 07.

08.00 p.m. on Friday 12th Oct 07 until 07.00 a.m. on Saturday 13th Oct 07.

These closures are necessary to facilitate scheduled routine maintenance on the tunnel and its equipment.

In between these overnight closures period i.e. during the day on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the Tunnel and its approach roads will be open to traffic as normal.

Advertisement