Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

surface rust.....problematic?

Options
  • 09-10-2007 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

i was looking at a car the other day and it has a small bit of rust right on the nose of the bonnet, it is where the bonnet seems to have been chipped and a bit of rust has occur, its about the size of an old púnt coin.

was wondering would this be much to worry about, is there any way to treat it and get it sorted ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Left untreated, it will eventually get bigger and deeper until you end up with a large-ish hole.

Doing something about it isn't that difficult. You have to grind away the rust, go down to the bare metal, sand it, prime it, sand it, fill it, sand it, spray it.

If you do that right, the rust shouldn't come back.

The only problem is that you will never get the repaired patch to look the same as the rest of the bonnet ...especially not if you do it yourself with a spraycan.

If you want an "invisible" repair, pretty much the whole bonnet will need a professional re-spray ...and that's expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In my opinion, the main question here is what kind of an owner would allow a stone chip to develop into a rust patch of that size. I'd be surprised if the car has been properly maintained in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Anan1 wrote:
    In my opinion, the main question here is what kind of an owner would allow a stone chip to develop into a rust patch of that size. I'd be surprised if the car has been properly maintained in general.

Maybe so- eg, My cars gone to a panel beaters today to get the door edges touched up. Previous owner was careless with my doors and they were chipped and rusting. It was one of the few things on the car that wrecks my head even though it isn't too bad but i just had to get it fixed. If it still looks naff, I will probably have to get all the doors fully painted.

OP, worst case scenario is a new bonnet. I got one for an old car of mine and I ended paying €300 painted and fitted, but I that was a bargain so you could normally spend a bit more.

Whether it's worth a big pile of dough to fix depends how good the car is. If it's a slag- a Sunday afternoon will have it right enough to stop it spreading.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Anan1 wrote:

The car history is unbelievable, it has a service history that can only be described as religious, every reciept for the life of the car is there too, its been imported from the uk a year ago (car is 99) and has two car checks from the aa and some other company showing it was checked over before it was brought in, I dont want an "invisible" repair just want to get rid of the rust and patch it up, the car has been lying idle for awhile so could the rust have appeared then? also the last owner was an army officer so his other half had the car when he was away so it probably describes the lack of care to the bodywork.

Its a bit of a bargain too, it drives perfectly and comes with a 3 month warrenty too all i want to know is it possible to clean up and get ride of a slight bit of rust?

also the colour has faded a bit too, its honda milano red, I know a guy who will compound it, buffer it, wax it, polish ect.. for free if i get the stuff for him, and i've seen his work and he's good, I was wondering will this help bring the milano red back up? I've heard it's hard to restore it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Anan1 wrote:

Dont agree with you there. The car could have a full Service history and have been maintained meticulously by the last owner, just because it has a small patch of rust from a stone chip shouldnt set alarm bells ringing.

edit: just read darffodx post there. So it does have full service history and every receipt .. thats definitely a Huge plus! - and rust patches are very common in the UK.. as they use salt on roads thats why they always advertise the fact when it has No Rust.

What car is it anyway? now im curious

• Advertisement

Its an Integra Type R c-breeze

drives like a dream, well it did for the test drive anyway :D

only concern is the rust, and the bodywork is by no means mint, it needs a bit of tlc to get rid of scratches etc.. no dents that i seen though thats a plus too.

just wanna be reassured that it can be restored without an excessive amount of cost

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

draffodx wrote:
    just wanna be reassured that it can be restored without an excessive amount of cost

It can be FIXED for a tenner in materials and a few hours work.

Getting it RESTORED is a different matter.

If there are more scratches and dings, fixing all of them will leave you with a blotchy car ...if that bothers you it'll need a respray, and that's expensive.

no i just want it fixed for about a year and then i'll be looking into restoring it then, I was told a good compound will bring the car looking a good bit better?

sorry about the confusion about my restoring comment, no i only want it fixed and i'm not that bothered about how it looks cos driving it is incredible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

draffodx wrote:
    no i just want it fixed for about a year and then i'll be looking into restoring it then, I was told a good compound will bring the car looking a good bit better?

sorry about the confusion about my restoring comment, no i only want it fixed and i'm not that bothered about how it looks cos driving it is incredible

Im sure if you were to take the car to a bodyshop, they would be able to sort out the rust patch for a fairly reasonable price . Then just give it a T-Cut and It should look muuuch better .

As for the car .. Nice one, i'm very jealous!

Uk version i take it as opposed to Jap import?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

With a fresh, well maintained '99 car, especially one like this, it sounds like you'd really want to get it fixed professionally. If it hasn't eaten through, it shouldn't cost any more than a ton or 2 and you won't have to worry about it again.

I wouldn't begrudge it a little paint if it's a bargain.

• Advertisement

yeh its a uk version c breeze i originally set out after a jap version but the ukdm version slowly began to grow on me and the extra security and a/c swung it for me, plus this was just too good a bargain to pass up and from a honda dealer too :D

yeh i know what your saying cantdecide, unfortunately i'm not in full tme employment at the moment and i'm at college so just something to clean it up a bit for now will do and i'll be in full time employment by the summer (if i pass my exams, touch wood) and i'll be able to get a proper job done on it then.

Advertisement