Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Best metal spooky keyboard moments

• 09-10-2007 9:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Y'know when metal bands (usually of the black/gothic variety) have these kind of spooky ambient synthesiser/keyboard moments? They usually occur at the start or end of a song or are sometimes put right in the middle. My favourite one is the intro to Deicide's 'Legion'- its a sound sample of loads of sheep mbaa-ing coupled with some clannad style creepy keyboard effects, absolutely hilarious; although I love that album.

On Sepultura's early recordings (morbid visions / Bestial Devastation) Theres a song called 'The Curse' (i think thats it) and it starts off with some guy doing a 'evil' burpy voice - classic stuff!

Anyone got even more hilarious spooky keyboard / rough burpy voice metal moments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Type O Negative can pull it off at times, especially on the "Bloody Kisses" album.

Hmm think I shall be having a Type O day in the car tomorrow, been too long since I listened to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Yeah, type o have a few - On Oct. Rust theres a soundclip of a woman laughing in a forest or something like that, still - classic type o.

I bet theres a few hard-core satanic-mtalheads reading this thread thinking "he has insulted the great lord of the underworld with his/her derogatory remarks about crap keyboard moments".

On sepultura's schizophrenia album theres a track that has a soundclip near the end of it, what you hear is a carnival merry-go-round which is then interrupted by lots of screaming and feedback - whats the name of the song?

c'mon now lads, its o.k. to laugh at a band you love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Tbh, im not sure if you're looking for 'spooky' keyboard moments or 'trying to be spooky but ending up hilarious' keyboard moments. Or even anything with keyboards for that matter

Anyway, not quite a keyboard moment, but the outro solos in Cosmic Sea by Death sound pretty creepy. Its more modulation effects than anything else, but still cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

morbid angel - chapel of ghouls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

Dio holy diver

Tbh, im not sure if you're looking for 'spooky' keyboard moments or 'trying to be spooky but ending up hilarious' keyboard moments. Or even anything with keyboards for that matter

Anyway, not quite a keyboard moment, but the outro solos in Cosmic Sea by Death sound pretty creepy. Its more modulation effects than anything else, but still cool

A bit of both really; you can give a funny and a serious one if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

LOL what a cliche, but oddly enough cant think of any of hand. Im sure there are a few Deep Purple tracks that go quite, and let John Lord do his bit before they Rock on again. However how about the spooky bit in the middle of Stonehenge by Soinal tap when the 12 inch Henge is being lowered

damonjewel wrote: »
    LOL what a cliche, but oddly enough cant think of any of hand. Im sure there are a few Deep Purple tracks that go quite, and let John Lord do his bit before they Rock on again. However how about the spooky bit in the middle of Stonehenge by Soinal tap when the 12 inch Henge is being lowered

Thing is, the spinal tap moment was meant to be funny, and it was. I was thinking about those moments when metal bands try to be scary but end up being hilarious. Yeah, john lord- the unsung hero of deep purple (2nd to the drummer).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

thing is, one word, helloween

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't get what's supposed to be "Hilarious" about using keyboards in Metal.

The way I see it, a keyboard intro to a song can be used in much the same way as the intro to Metallica's Battery. Not always as effective, mind you, but hardly something I'd consider hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

thing is, one word, helloween

What about Helloween? In case you missed the point, they're meant to be tongue in cheek :confused:

D.T. Jesus wrote: »
    What about Helloween? In case you missed the point, they're meant to be tongue in cheek :confused:

I think a lot of bands that are tongue in cheek are just lost on some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I think a lot of bands that are tongue in cheek are just lost on some people.

Maybe you're right. Their loss either way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Morf wrote: »
    morbid angel - chapel of ghouls

Oh Yes

I don't get what's supposed to be "Hilarious" about using keyboards in Metal.

The way I see it, a keyboard intro to a song can be used in much the same way as the intro to Metallica's Battery. Not always as effective, mind you, but hardly something I'd consider hilarious.

This is exactly what I was taliking about when I referred to over-serious metal fans. Theres no problem with using keyboards in metal; some metal bands use them all the time to add extra body to the sound - its just that its mixed in so well that you can barely hear it. What i was talking about was those moments when metal bands use them in an effort to create a eerie/spooky moment, but what you end up with is something quite unique and interesting, whilst simultaneously being hilarious.

The Helloween thing; I think in the beginning they genuinely meant to be a serious metal band, but during the course of their career ended up becoming (and they must know this themselves) a bit of a metal/comedy act - Iron Maiden have been flirting with this notion for a long time; shame, seeing as they made some great music.

I love metal - but like anything it has its funny moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I would love to mention a Rammstein song with a moment that you mention but there are far too many.

The keyboard is what enhances Rammsteins sound to me!

The keyboards in FNM's We Care a Lot also makes the hairs stand on my arms.

In a Gadda a Vida needs a mention whether its taken seriously as a song or a funny Simpsons moment

This is exactly what I was taliking about when I referred to over-serious metal fans.

So I'm over serious if I'm not poking fun at the music I like? :rolleyes:

So I'm over serious if I'm not poking fun at the music I like? :rolleyes:

Only when you truly love something do you see all of its flaws. And yes, if you can't find one moment of humour in the world of proper heavy metal, then you are over serious. Chill-out, its just guitars and songs after all- good ones at that, but thats all they are.

Only when you truly love something do you see all of its flaws. And yes, if you can't find one moment of humour in the world of proper heavy metal, then you are over serious. Chill-out, its just guitars and songs after all- good ones at that, but thats all they are.

Oh yea, seeing it's flaws... That's what this is... :rolleyes:

Look, you're asking for people to post something unintentionally funny, but people are posting things that are already knowingly tongue-in-cheek and cheesy, such as Type O Negative and Helloween, the joke obviously being lost on them completely, which only goes to show that people are only interested in poking fun at metal and guffawing reguardless of the intention of the band.

Of course there's plenty of humour, and who said that I can't find any? There's a lot of bands who themselves are poking fun at the pomposity of a lot of Metal, but this thread isn't about them, is it? Why not post a thread about tongue in cheek bands?

No, the very premise of this thread is laughing at bands who use a keyboard intro to a song, that's what it is. It's "OMGLOLROFLMAOBBQ, look at the silly metal band using keyboards! They're trying to be all spooky lololololol, isn't it so hilarious!" :rolleyes:

So excuse me if I can't get behind that. It's a freaking dumb thread.

• Advertisement

Oh yea, seeing it's flaws... That's what this is... :rolleyes:

Yeah it is; if i was going to slag it off i'd be using completely different material. I'd refer to such matters such as the quite often sexist and racist lyrics and the fact that most metal gigs usually have a 95% male attendance.
    I think crap keyboard moments are part of the charm - but they are funny.

Look, you're asking for people to post something unintentionally funny, but people are posting things that are already knowingly tongue-in-cheek and cheesy, such as Type O Negative and Helloween, the joke obviously being lost on them completely, which only goes to show that people are only interested in poking fun at metal and guffawing reguardless of the intention of the band.

All types of music can be guffawed at- no matter how serious the artist is trying to be (Ever heard 'Ivory and Ebony' by Paul McCartney). Sometimes a metal band can make it work; and they create a knind of unsettling ambient sound- but when it doesn't work it can be quite funny.

Of course there's plenty of humour, and who said that I can't find any? There's a lot of bands who themselves are poking fun at the pomposity of a lot of Metal, but this thread isn't about them, is it? Why not post a thread about tongue in cheek bands?

Being a metal fan means you have to trawl through hundreds of records looking for a jem- you may only get one great song on an album with nothing more on it. So when you find these funny moments you remeber them and they stick out. 'Tongue-in-cheek' bands are different; you already know what you're getting with them- the fun is gone out of it. Besides, those tongue in cheek bands, as i said, aren't trying to be serious- so its not neatly as funny.

No, the very premise of this thread is laughing at bands who use a keyboard intro to a song, that's what it is. It's "OMGLOLROFLMAOBBQ, look at the silly metal band using keyboards! They're trying to be all spooky lololololol, isn't it so hilarious!" :rolleyes:

So excuse me if I can't get behind that. It's a freaking dumb thread.

Well then f**k off- nobody asked you.

Well then f**k off- nobody asked you.

Right, well I think you need a break from this forum if you can't discuss things calmly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement