Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini Me

Options
  • 09-10-2007 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Im buying a mini for myself in the UK, the one im going over to see comes with the 'TLC Pack' - basically this means that when the original owner bought it, they paid to have a service pack added on that enables him to get the car serviced for free (i think) up untill 09.

Im wondering does anybody know if this service pack transfers to Ireland when the car comes over here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

I know they offer that pack here too, but I am sure Ned78 will be able to clarify if it is transferrable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

TLC automatically transfers over. BUT, make sure there's some redeemable value in it. TLC covers the owner for either 5 years, or 50k Miles, whichever happens first. So while it indeed might have plenty of time left, it may not have any redeemable services left.

You can also upgrade to TLC XL if you plan to keep the car a while, and this will cover you up to 8 years, 80k Miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Im buying it from a private seller, theres just under 50k on the clock so i presume that means the TLC pack has run out and has no value... Bah Humbug :(

Still, its a bargaining tool to knock down the asking price a bit i guess... Anything i should watch out for when buying Ned78? You seem to know your stuff :)

Also, when im VRTing the car, is it my local tax office that i go to to get that sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

I brought a cooper S across last year with the 5 year tlc pack on it, it gave free servicing i only had to pay for wiper blades. :)

The last service was 35K though so i wont get another service because it is not due until 55K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Bendihorse wrote:
    Also, when im VRTing the car, is it my local tax office that i go to to get that sorted?
    IIRC, it's the local revenue office you've to goto. Theres one in Santry if you're in Dublin.

Bendihorse wrote:
    Anything i should watch out for when buying Ned78?

Depends on the year of the car, but I'm guessing as TLC runs out in 2009, it's a 2004 car. What you need to find out if it's a pre, or post facelift car. The changed the vehicle slightly in September 2004, newer gearbox, different lighting clusters, different bumpers, dashboard, ambient lighting inside, etc.

If it's a pre-facelift, make sure the steering column doesn't creak when going from full lock to full lock. Drive it a few miles, make sure the wheel bearings dont hum. If it has Aircon, make sure that's still charged up and working fine. Mechanically, the MINIs are bullet proof. There's very little that every goes wrong with them thankfully, and electrically they're just as sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Bendihorse wrote:
    theypaid to have a service pack added on that enables him to get the car serviced for free

LOL :D oxymoron at its finest

C_Breeze wrote:
    LOL :D oxymoron at its finest

Well, seeing as the service pack was 200 Euro at the time, and it covered about 1000 Euro worth of servicing, there was about 800 Euro's free. Oxymoron? Nope.

Ned, I wouldn't know if its pre or post face lift to look at it - can you tell me?
    So excited now, went to bank today and got finance approved straight away :D

Just got to book flights now and pray that its the right car for me and not a wasted trip!
    I imagine going by the price that its pre facelift so will keep an eye out for the things you mentioned...

media1.jpg

media2.jpg

• Advertisement

That has the John Cooper Works Aerodynamic Body Kit fitted, so it's difficult to tell. Can you post a picture of the rear and I'll be able to tell you?

ned78 wrote:
    Well, seeing as the service pack was 200 Euro at the time, and it covered about 1000 Euro worth of servicing, there was about 800 Euro's free. Oxymoron? Nope.

well if they paid anything , be it 2 cent , it is not free - so oxymoron yes

C_Breeze wrote:
    well if they paid anything , be it 2 cent , it is not free - so oxymoron yes

Good grief. There's 800 euros of free, f-r-double-e, servicing. What is it with this Forum and everyone having to have a dig at everyone else?

ned78 wrote:
    Good grief. There's 800 euros of free, f-r-double-e, servicing. What is it with this Forum and everyone having to have a dig at everyone else?

Ah not having a dig, more of a humorous observation (well to me anyway :o )

Good deal anyhow

media.jpg

There you go Ned, i dont think that they are original lights either so you probably wont be able to tell...

I find if i ignore people like C_Breeze they eventually get bored and go away. Boards is polluted with the likes of he/she/it with nothing worthwhile to contribute :rolleyes:

Bendihorse wrote:
    I find if i ignore people like C_Breeze they eventually get bored and go away. Boards is polluted with the likes of he/she/it with nothing worthwhile to contribute :rolleyes:

And who the f**k are you exactly.

Here for 2 months with a Vast contribution of 68 insightfull posts. :rolleyes:

Pleb.

Im bendihorse, very pleased to meet you C_Breeze :)

Going to take the tints off the front side windows and also thinking of removing the stripes... TBH i wasn't a huge mini fan before, but i saw a purple one the other day and thought it was gorgeous! There are only 2 purple ones for sale in the UK that i can find and they are both 1k dearer that normal because of the colour and they are both back in years too... The blue is a nice compromise tho :D

She's pre-facelift. The single reverse light mounted in the bumper gives it away. Lovely car though. I do agree about the front tints, but the back are nice.

My girlfriend's MINI Cabrio is Purple too. Took us ages to find a nice second hand one, and when we did, it was one I'd sold new originally :)

Kinda wondering if id be well advised to hold off and try to get the facelift model? What changes were made to the gearbox and why? Was there a problem with them in the original version?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

C_Breeze wrote:
    And who the f**k are you exactly.

Here for 2 months with a Vast contribution of 68 insightfull posts. :rolleyes:

Pleb.

Consider yourself warned, C_Breeze. Anything like that again and you're banned

• Advertisement

No, there was no issue with the previous box, they just upgraded it to one with different ratios, and it made the 0-60 sprint time slightly quicker.

Advertisement