Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine storage/Wine rack advice.

Options
  • 09-10-2007 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I am looking for some wine rack advice. I travel to France two or three times a year and stock up when I am there. I don't know too much about wine so just follow recommendations. However, I don't know if I am storing the wine correctly, I just leave it in the boxes in the garage. I would like to get a good wine rack to store it in.
    I have tried furniture stores with out success, they only seem to have small ones for 6 to 12 bottles where I would need one for up to 50 bottles at a time. I have the room to store it either free standing or wall mounted.
    Would anyone have any suggestions of where I could get such a rack and is this the best way to store it.
    Thanks in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Are the boxes they are in wooden? If they are, then I'd imagine they are fine as is, just make sure they are out of direct sunlight and that the temp. in your shed is fairly constant, wine doesn't like changes in temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

What was said above. Far more important than what you store it in is where you store it. A constant 12 or so degrees is preferably I think. If funds allow how about a eurocave? They're quite expensive though. Just kep the wine horizontal anyway (which I presume you're doing.

As an aside, try establish whether you should age some of your wines. Perhaps you are drinking the wines too early especially if they are some grand crú burgendy's (sp?). Just google the names of the wines and see suggestions online.

Happy drinking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Garages aren't a great idea as there are usually all manner of foul-smelling chemicals (oil, weedkiller, drain unblocker etc) stored there. If the temperature is consistently cool (12 degrees or so), that's good, but strong odours are a problem.

I would just get some cardboard wine boxes from your local off licence (with the dividers still in them), and store the wines in them. Some say the wines should be horizontal so that the cork doesn't dry out. Fifty bottles is only four boxes, they would easily fit in a couple of wardrobes.

If you're looking to display the wines attractively, that's a different story. I don't know where you'd get something that big. Eurocaves cost a mint and would be unnecessary in your case. Maybe just store the bulk of the wines in anonymous boxes and the seasonal favourites in a smaller rack for drinking over the next two months.

Most wines should be drunk young.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭leuler

Many thanks for the replys, where I am storing them is in a utility room just off the garage, it is connected to the house so never too hot or cold, probably 10-15 degrees most of the time.
    I am leaving them in the boxes at the minute, stacked. I suppose what I would like is a wine rack where I could choose a bottle without have to move and open boxes.
    Someone said that Navan is full of furniture shops and that there might be something down there. I am heading down on Sat. to see if I can find anything.
    Cheers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I bought a couple of this sort cheaply in Dunnes some years back. Not very glamorous but ideal for backroom storage.
    page185-f283.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

If you have your heart set on getting a good one and want to spend money then eurocave is the answer

http://www.eurocave.co.uk/wine-racks-index.html

They used to do these cement blocks that you stacked and held wine that were cool, but I cant seem to see them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Krustacean

Thought this website would be useful.

http://www.wineobsessed.com/

Regards,
    Wayne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kim Anderson

leuler wrote: »
    I am looking for some wine rack advice. I travel to France two or three times a year and stock up when I am there. I don't know too much about wine so just follow recommendations. However, I don't know if I am storing the wine correctly, I just leave it in the boxes in the garage. I would like to get a good wine rack to store it in.
    I have tried furniture stores with out success, they only seem to have small ones for 6 to 12 bottles where I would need one for up to 50 bottles at a time. I have the room to store it either free standing or wall mounted.
    Would anyone have any suggestions of where I could get such a rack and is this the best way to store it.
    Thanks in advance.

The East Coast 'thing' Shop based in Inch, Gorey, Co. Wexford do a 50-bottle wine rack €39.00. The Paper Mill Comany in Dublin (086.266.79.79)supplies similar wine racks (trade only, minimum quantity).

Wine should be stored: away from draughts, sunlight, strong 'garage' chemicals, direct contact with wooden flooring, or any floor subject to vibration. An even or moderate ambient temperature is best (12*C).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Kim Anderson

See www.wineboxgift.com They have a 50-bottle wine rack featured under 'Box products.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

I think bubblebrothers in Cork supply good wine racks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement