Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squeaky bum time for the Drogs.

• 09-10-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Behan is the new Henry, 9 goals in 6 games?? :cool: pretty impressive strike rate has turned season around, semi-realistic chance of winning the title.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If Cork City win the title this season I'll change my avatar to the CCFC crest for the duration of next season.

:)

Too little, way too late for them.

Drogs play Shams this weekend and will beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ambasite wrote:
    semi-realistic chance of winning the title.

lawl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

This weekend will test Drogs credentials. Now I am not saying that city will pip them, but Drogs character will be severely tested, as if they drop points against Shams, who will be very tight seeing as they have lost their last 2 games, and City win, there will 5/6 points in it with City travelling to Drogheda the following week. If it transpires this way, that will be the biggest eL game since November 18th 2005.

Having said all that, if City lose and Drogs win, Drogs can win it by beating City on Friday week.

Question is, does Doolin have the bottle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

I love the psychology of it. Drogs sitting on top with 8 point cushion, everything to lose, the pressure on Doolin & his team must be unreal even though they have one hand on the title. Will he do a Kevin Keegan? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Drogs V Shamrock Rovers (Away) L
    Drogs V Cork City (Home) L
    Drogs V Waterford (Away) D
    Drogs V Bray (Home) W
    Drogs V Pats (Away) D

Cork V Bray (Away) W
    Cork V Drogs (Away) W
    Cork V Pats (Home) D
    Cork V Sligo (Away) W
    Cork V Bohs (Home) W

The above set of results would see the title come down to goal difference. Drogs currently have a better GD of +7 but if the above set of results were to pan out obviously it would be a lot closer. Don't think teh above set of results are that ridiculous but obviously Cork are gonna have to beat Drogs at United park.

Come on Cork!

• Advertisement

Rovers won't win in United Park, Waterford won't win in United Park.

DesF wrote:
    Rovers won't win in United Park, Waterford won't win in United Park.
    :confused: Eh neither team are playing in United park. Drogheda are playing both Rovers and Waterford away from home. Come on DesF, you're better than this!

I read your list wrong :rolleyes:

Anyway, doesn't matter.

When Drogs play Rovers Stuey Byrne, Richie Baker and Ollie Cahill will be returning to the venue of their glory last November. This will help them.

No, Drogs won't bottle it. Of that I am sure.

DesF wrote:

Anyway, doesn't matter.

When Drogs play Rovers Stuey Byrne, Richie Baker and Ollie Cahill will be returning to the venue of their glory last November. This will help them.

They've played each other 3 times this season thus far with Rovers winning twice and Drogs once. Rovers scored 6 in those 3 games Drogs scored 2. Rovers have lost just once in their last 8 home games. Advantage Rovers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

DesF wrote:

Anyway, doesn't matter.

HA, Baker and Cahill have done **** all this season - however, it's in the bag for Drawda already!

• Advertisement

Current Form (Last 5 League Games)

Shamrock Rovers :
    Cork City 1-0 Shamrock Rovers
    Bray Wanderers 3-0 Shamrock Rovers
    Bohemians 0-2 Shamrock Rovers
    Shamrock Rovers 4-0 Galway United
    Shamrock Rovers 0-1 Longford Town

LLWWW

Drogheda United :
    Drogheds United 1-0 Sligo Rovers
    Longford Town 1-2 Drogheda United
    Drogheda United 1-0 Derry City
    Galway United 1-1 Drogheda United
    Drogheda United 0-1 UCD

WWWDL

So, Drogheda have a slightly better recent form, but if we take the last three games, Drogs are clearly the form team.

Advantage Drogs I think.

DesF wrote:
    Current Form (Last 5 League Games)

Shamrock Rovers :
    Cork City 1-0 Shamrock Rovers
    Bray Wanderers 3-0 Shamrock Rovers
    Bohemians 0-2 Shamrock Rovers
    Shamrock Rovers 4-0 Galway United
    Shamrock Rovers 0-1 Longford Town

LLWWW

Drogheda United :
    Drogheds United 1-0 Sligo Rovers
    Longford Town 1-2 Drogheda United
    Drogheda United 1-0 Derry City
    Galway United 1-1 Drogheda United
    Drogheda United 0-1 UCD

WWWDL

So, Drogheda have a slightly better recent form, but if we take the last three games, Drogs are clearly the form team.

Advantage Drogs I think.
    Ah c'mon DesF. Rovers lost away against the most in form team in the country right now(Cork) and lost away to Bray after they were reduced to 9 men and they beat Bohs away 2-0.

Drogs on the other hand got a winner in the last minute of the game against Longford, beat a woefully out of form Derry and had a decent win against Sligo.

Surely you have to factor in these mitigating circumstances before declaring Drogs are in better form.

The very fact that Rovers had two men sent off shows that they have lost the plot, they were title contenders up until that defeat, so the wind will have been knocked from their sails for sure. Drogs meanwhile show no signs of bottling anything, they have lost just once in their last ten league games and are top of the league by eight points.

Let's be honest here Pighead.

I just hate Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Pighead wrote:
    Drogs V Shamrock Rovers (Away) L
    Drogs V Cork City (Home) L
    Drogs V Waterford (Away) D
    Drogs V Bray (Home) W
    Drogs V Pats (Away) D

Cork V Bray (Away) W
    Cork V Drogs (Away) W
    Cork V Pats (Home) D
    Cork V Sligo (Away) W
    Cork V Bohs (Home) W

The above set of results would see the title come down to goal difference. Drogs currently have a better GD of +7 but if the above set of results were to pan out obviously it would be a lot closer. Don't think teh above set of results are that ridiculous but obviously Cork are gonna have to beat Drogs at United park.

Come on Cork!

LOl at pats getting a result in Cork on current form the only points we will get will be if the bus driver goes to fast

DesF wrote:
    The very fact that Rovers had two men sent off shows that they have lost the plot, they were title contenders up until that defeat, so the wind will have been knocked from their sails for sure. Drogs meanwhile show no signs of bottling anything, they have lost just once in their last ten league games and are top of the league by eight points.

Let's be honest here Pighead.

I just hate Cork.
    And I hate Drogheda!

To be fair to Rovers those two sending offs were pretty harsh. Murphy handled outside the box and got a straight red even though there was a covering defender on the line.

You say Drogs have lost just once in their last 10 games but its equally true to say they went 6 games without winning in that period. They've become the draw kings lately. Of course they're in the driving seat but at the moment they're driving like Otto from the Simpsons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

after watching last fridays game against sligo and how the lads were so up for it and how well they played i have no doubt in my mind we will win the league this year.

Cork will not win at united park and If i was a betting man id be backing a 0-0 draw;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pighead wrote:
    Drogs on the other hand got a winner in the last minute of the game against Longford

No they didn't.

Drogheda were 2-0 up at half-time, Longford scored a consolation in the last minute... It was nothing but comfort the whole way through.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/0928/drogheda.html

So in reality they beat Longford comfortably, beat Derry (regardless of their form) and beat Sligo in the last minute also.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    No they didn't.

Drogheda were 2-0 up at half-time, Longford scored a consolation in the last minute... It was nothing but comfort the whole way through.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/0928/drogheda.html
    Oops, meant to say Sligo! Always getting those irrelevant non descript counties mixed up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

No problem, the penny kinda dropped for me when I posted anyway.

Pighead wrote:
    Oops, meant to say Sligo! Always getting those irrelevant non descript counties mixed up!

Like Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

It's lovely Louth to you Des.

DesF wrote:
    Like Louth.
    May I remind you that Louth once had 4 players start an Irish match not too long ago. That meant that over 44% of our national soccer team were from Louth.

Also Dundalk are the second most succesful club in League of Ireland history.

Louth, Irrelevant? Not on your nelly.

redzerdrog wrote:
    Cork will not win at united park and If i was a betting man id be backing a 0-0 draw;)

It will be some variety of draw anyway.

another step closer after tonights results altough cork made things a lot easier by ****tin the togs tonight!

easy game tonight and a very professional performance, i cant even remember Dan making a save. looks like we will win it against the langers next week so that will be sweet. I thaught we'd win it against waterford and have the weekend booked down there:)

just wondering will we get the trophy at home to Bray or on the last game away to pats?:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think the title was won tonight.:o

Hopefully it won't be confirmed till the week after.

Congrats to everybody in Drogheda. You have been on the upward curve for the past 3 season and you got your rewards for your investment. Not a vintage season with so many teams in transition and from my own personal perspective it is a shame that we haven't been in the position to invest in the team as much as the supporters would have liked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I think the title was won tonight.:o

Hopefully it won't be confirmed till the week after.

Congrats to everybody in Drogheda. You have been on the upward curve for the past 3 season and you got your rewards for your investment. Not a vintage season with so many teams in transition and from my own personal perspective it is a shame that we haven't been in the position to invest in the team as much as the supporters would have liked.

surely you mean debt?!?

Fair play to Drogs, best team I've seen in Tolka, although we seem to have fizzled out somewhat and didnt really put it up to them.

Congrats to Shelbourne on winning consecutive titles.

gimmick wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Only The Hero Stuey Byrne has done much with Drogs this year. Baker hasn't featured, and Cahill has been a shadow of what he was last season.

You can't have expected City to do anything this season with the amounf of players sold, and quality brought in.

I mean, a team that brings in Farrelly deserve to win nothing.

Did he leave the centre circle this season?

Your anti City, pro Drogheda agenda has been apparent for some time now.

Farrelly to be fair to him is playing very well. His passing is fantastic. His movement is poor enough, but thats not really his game.

City have paid the price of success, however, we did not leave outside our means unlike a few other clubs which come to mind. Having players like George, Benno etc was great. Its just unfortunate, for CCFC, that they wanted to chance their arms across the water. Both will be back soon.

• Advertisement

City have paid the price of success, however, we did not leave outside our means unlike a few other clubs which come to mind. Having players like George, Benno etc was great. Its just unfortunate, for CCFC, that they wanted to chance their arms across the water. Both will be back soon.

what success? one league title is hardly a dysnasty.

you are selling players because you are owned by an investment company who are taking as much as they can out of the club. hence rico cutting the grass in your training ground himself.

Oh sorry, i will bow to your knowledge :rolleyes:

Oh sorry, i will bow to your knowledge :rolleyes:

what are you disagreeing with? the fact that cork village are selling their best, cutting wages and letting off the field employees go or that a glib cliche like 'paying for their sucess' is irrelevant here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

surely you mean debt?!?

its not the clubs debt tho

its the directors debt, which is a completely different thing

Helix wrote: »
    its not the clubs debt tho

its the directors debt, which is a completely different thing

which he is going to recoup from the sale of your ground, whether you get into the new place or not....

the fai own the ground, it was sold years ago when drogs were in trouble financially

seriously, the nonsense people spout about the drogs financial state is ridiculous

do some research ffs

• Advertisement

the fai own the ground, it was sold years ago when drogs were in trouble financially

seriously, the nonsense people spout about the drogs financial state is ridiculous

do some research ffs

the FAI hold the lease, Drogs/Zardock will get some money from the sale.

glad t see you arent at all worried about €2m debt and property specualtors being involved. hopwfully you will be the first LoI side to get involved with these sharks and come up smiling....

its not the clubs debt, its coming straight out of the pocked of hoey, the board, and seamus murphy so as not to touch the club at all

worst case scenario is that the board resigns and murphys cut sponsorship, that still wont leave the club with a debt tho, itll leave them in the black needing to reorganise finances so as not to go into the red

also, no complaints to planning permission for the new stadium despite talk that all the locals would be sticking their oars in. also worth pointing out that we're not paying for that either

its not the clubs debt, its coming straight out of the pocked of hoey, the board, and seamus murphy so as not to touch the club at all

worst case scenario is that the board resigns and murphys cut sponsorship, that still wont leave the club with a debt tho, itll leave them in the black needing to reorganise finances so as not to go into the red

also, no complaints to planning permission for the new stadium despite talk that all the locals would be sticking their oars in. also worth pointing out that we're not paying for that either

no, worst case scenario is board resign after selling Utd Park and before building that ground in Meath.

and you are ignoring the impact of licencing on debt. Directors might be swallowing the €2m, but it is still Drog debt, no matter what they tell you.

the board arent building the ground in meath, its being built by an outside developer for the club, at no cost to the club, and will be ready for the season after next once planning permission is granted, which should be in the next 2 months i believe

again, its not droghedas debt. the directors are fully aware that theyre not getting the money back. its only debt if the club owes that €2m to someone, which they dont

what are you disagreeing with? the fact that cork village are selling their best, cutting wages and letting off the field employees go or that a glib cliche like 'paying for their sucess' is irrelevant here?

Wages are not being cut. Quite the opposite actually. City currently have more off the field employees than ever before. The whole Rico cutting the grass thing happened once, between one groundsman being left go and another starting. Though Im told he does do it occassionally anyway as a form of relaxation!

Re players, we could not hold onto Roy O D, Premeirship Vs eL et al. We didnt want Neale Fenn for some reason, George threw a hissy fit and Rico acted the muppet, Benno went to the Premiership. Danny Murphy was offered a new deal and rejected it.

Village? Education! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

you have serious mental problems!

stuey is the only one that really contributed and he still wasnt even in our top 7/8 performers this year. ollie cahill has been pure muck all season friday was his best match (maybe coz it was tolka) richie baker has done well when he has played but hasnt played half the games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

fair deuce to drogs but city should hopefully put in a much stronger challenge next year. Drogs still due to get whipped on friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Drogs still due to get whipped on friday night.

I doubt it, but I won't be at United Park to find out. Tried to get my ticket this morning & they're all sold out already. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

redzerdrog wrote: »

stuey is the only one that really contributed and he still wasnt even in our top 7/8 performers this year.

I would think that Stuey Byrne is favourite to win your player of the year award. He's a winner, and alongside Robinson raising his game, the main difference between Drogs being contenders and champions

telecaster wrote: »
    I would think that Stuey Byrne is favourite to win your player of the year award. He's a winner, and alongside Robinson raising his game, the main difference between Drogs being contenders and champions

your obviously not a drogs fan he is nowere near the running for player of the year. It has to be Brian shelley he is a cert, followed by robbo and then Gartland.

I also think shelley has a very good chance for EL player of the year he has been by far the best player i have seen all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

redzerdrog wrote: »
    your obviously not a drogs fan he is nowere near the running for player of the year. It has to be Brian shelley he is a cert, followed by robbo and then Gartland.

I also think shelley has a very good chance for EL player of the year he has been by far the best player i have seen all season.

Yeah Shelly has been immense for you alright. Not a Drogs fan but have seen all their tv games, I've been impressed with Byrne almost everytime I saw him play.

A great bit of business by Doolin to send Fitzpatrick back to Dublin, and Bates has been excellent each time I've seen him.

Will be strange to think that they will win the title playing most of the season without Barrett and O'Brien.

Advertisement