Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking bout adding another harddrive need advise

Options
  • 09-10-2007 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

So lads im thinking of getting another harddrive for my pc which will be mainly for storage..

i already got a 320gb one with os and all on it..now im just wondering when i put the new one in will it just add itself and show up in my computer as another storage drive..or do i gotta format everything again? just seeing if its worth the hassle..

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

IgsTer wrote:
    So lads im thinking of getting another harddrive for my pc which will be mainly for storage..

i already got a 320gb one with os and all on it..now im just wondering when i put the new one in will it just add itself and show up in my computer as another storage drive..or do i gotta format everything again? just seeing if its worth the hassle..

cheers

The new drive will have to be formatted.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

will it give me the option when i startup the machine the first time after installation of the drive?

or do i use microsoft disc or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

IgsTer wrote:

cheers

just get an external one? might be easier if u dont want the hassle...and close to the same price now too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

IgsTer wrote:
    will it give me the option when i startup the machine the first time after installation of the drive?

or do i use microsoft disc or?

Just use the disk management part of the computer management console to partition if desired, and format.

na i dont want an external one...id rather have one in my system..as i wouldnt be using the mobility for anything with the external and itl be taking up a usb :)

the computer management console? wheres that now :P

• Advertisement

IgsTer wrote:
    na i dont want an external one...id rather have one in my system..as i wouldnt be using the mobility for anything with the external and itl be taking up a usb :)

Under admin tools, or right click "my computer" and choose manage this computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

IgsTer wrote:

First off , make sure you get the right drive - is it IDE or SATA ? I'd guess it's SATA but check before you go out and buy one !
    If it happens to be IDE you need to set the jumpers on your new drive to slave - the jumper settings should be clearly marked on the drive . If it's SATA just hook it up .

Once it's physically installed go to your Control Panel and select Administrative Tools . That's where your Computer Management is hiding ;) . Click on Computer Management and select Disk Management in left hand panel( in Storage drop-down menu ) . You should see your new disk there - it might show as a drive letter and unallocated space or similar . Right-click on that and select Format .

Make sure you dont accidentally format your current drive (which should be showing as Healthy(System) :p

ah ha i see it now :D

yeah its gonna be sata one..so no need for any jumper settings then :)

so thats all i gotta do then..i might go ahead with it now and get it..cheers lads for all tha help :D

Advertisement