Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions needed for Gaming Build

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

sdonn_1 wrote:
    Hi folks, looking att building a new rig for Gaming, there'll be a lot of different games etc but mainly Flight simming etc, FSX being very power-hungry this needs to be a fairly good performer graphics-wise. It also needs to be a very good general-purpose machine for the odd bit of encoding, etc. Unfortunately I have a strict budget of €1500 and that'll ideally include a 22'' monitor. (Don't ask much do I? :P) I'd appreciate some input on the stuff I've been looking at till now.

Ideas so far:

CPU: E6850, Core 2 Duo 3.0GhZ.

Base: Thermaltake Soprano; http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VEParC38cCyDz/2/articledetail.jsp?aid=17525&agid=632

Mainboard: Question here. Do I really need nforce680i or will 650i do? I'd been looking at http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VEParC38cCyDz/2/articledetail.jsp?aid=9240&agid=659 which is a teeny bit pricy, but doable all the same, probably.

RAM:
    4GB of http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VEParC38cCyDz/2/articledetail.jsp?aid=7265&agid=599

HDD: 500GB WD Caviar

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 750W

GFX: 2 of these 8600GTS Superclocked: http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VEParC38cCyDz/2/articledetail.jsp?aid=10049&agid=394

CD/DVD: 2 DVD-RW writers, nothing special.

Totals about €1400 so far (on hardwareversand, works cheaper than komplett for most things but I haven't done a full spec up there yet), ideally I'm looking to get it down to €1500 or less with a 22''. I have a 19'' widescreen (worth about €200 new) that I'm willing to sell so if theres a need for that voiced here I'll pop it on adverts.

Any opinions appreciated, etc
    Cheers

well u have no sound card, or monitor for that price...u wont get a 22" monitor for 100 euros :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Right where to start.

For a 1500€ budget you will need to rejig a few of your items.

Drop the 4gb of ram ot 2gb. unless you will be using 64bit vista

Forget 2 8600gt's just get one cheaper and faster 8800gts.

Dont bother with a 650/680i motherboard, get a p35or wait for the x38's

You can also drop the cpu to a 2.4ghz E6600 which can easilly be overclocked to 3ghz on a stock cooler.

I would drop that case too, i has a coolermaster wave master. And the cooling is just terrible for high end components. And you will have problems fitting in a good cpu cooler. A tuniq tower, or TT 120 ultra extreme will simply be to big to close the case. So have a look for something a bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Is that company cheaper even with delivery??

Oh don't go with your original 2x 8600gts.. They're far too weak

Actually don't buy any DirectX 10 graphics card as yet as stories about 10.1 rendering these cards useless.

Buy a radeon 1950 for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

toco123 wrote:

Yup I have it and its sexual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Yup I have it and its sexual!

oooooohhhh...... K !!!!:confused::confused::confused: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

toco123 wrote:
    Is that company cheaper even with delivery??

Oh don't go with your original 2x 8600gts.. They're far too weak

Actually don't buy any DirectX 10 graphics card as yet as stories about 10.1 rendering these cards useless.

Buy a radeon 1950 for the moment

Some game developers are making noises about 10.1 being an annoying feature extension though so I wouldn't go with that being gospel yet. After all, most developers aren't even fully on board with 10, and development cycles are a 2-year business minimum. The reason I wouldn't buy a DX10 card yet is NV and ATI screwed over the midrange user bigtime with their last products which are beaten in DX9 by the 1950pro and can't even attempt to run DX10 titles. Wait for the next gen of cards from both before biting the bullet, or like the above, the 1950 is unbeatable in the midrange segment at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OK, thanks for all the replies so far.
    Drop the 4gb of ram ot 2gb. unless you will be using 64bit vista

Forget 2 8600gt's just get one cheaper and faster 8800gts.

Dont bother with a 650/680i motherboard, get a p35or wait for the x38's

You can also drop the cpu to a 2.4ghz E6600 which can easilly be overclocked to 3ghz on a stock cooler.

I would drop that case too, i has a coolermaster wave master. And the cooling is just terrible for high end components. And you will have problems fitting in a good cpu cooler. A tuniq tower, or TT 120 ultra extreme will simply be to big to close the case. So have a look for something a bit bigger.

I'm no way overclocking, I know its very doable but I've no experience with it and have no intention of trying in the immediate future, just to be safe. I'm surprised at the views on the 8800GTS - 720MhZ GPU and 2GhZ+ memory? As for RAM, I'm most likely gonna go for 64bit vista to be able to add it, maybe I'll leave it at 2GB temporarily and see how it goes.

I'm also only really interested in the stock cooler for the min, I'm not brilliant at experimenting (without breaking things) and simply don't have any more money :(
    Some game developers are making noises about 10.1 being an annoying feature extension though so I wouldn't go with that being gospel yet. After all, most developers aren't even fully on board with 10, and development cycles are a 2-year business minimum. The reason I wouldn't buy a DX10 card yet is NV and ATI screwed over the midrange user bigtime with their last products which are beaten in DX9 by the 1950pro and can't even attempt to run DX10 titles. Wait for the next gen of cards from both before biting the bullet, or like the above, the 1950 is unbeatable in the midrange segment at the mo.

I've been putting off a build for so long that I really want to buy now. How long are we looking at waiting for the next gen? Weeks/months/years?

I'm looking at keeping that case...shaggable though the armor is :rolleyes:, I can't afford it. The only reason I'd change would be to fit an 8800GTX, and that's tetering on the edge of my price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

sdonn_1 wrote:
    OK, thanks for all the replies so far.

I'm no way overclocking, I know its very doable but I've no experience with it and have no intention of trying in the immediate future, just to be safe. I'm surprised at the views on the 8800GTS - 720MhZ GPU and 2GhZ+ memory?

Never look at GPU speed and memory size/speed with graphics cards, just read reviews and compare test results. The 8600GTS is pretty rubbish, the old 7900GS can easily beat it. The 8800 GTS can handle just about every game out at the moment.

www.ankermann-pc.com have a very good gaming pc (mega gaming pc I think its called) for about 700e with a 8800 GTS 640, you can upgrade everything on it, my friend just got one and it works perfectly. If you want specific things (bigger power supply, particular ram) you can email them and they will give you a price. Postage is only 40euros for the PC, and they are German, so the whole thing is efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

go with a 680i mobo if u want the option of going sli with ur graphics. otherwise get a p35 mobo.

definatly dont get those two 8600's, get a single 88oogts for the moment, its way better than wat u have there and at 300 quid, its pretty decent.

4gigs of ram is a little bit overkill (u need 64bit os by the way) but if ur pushed to get 4 gigs, then why not, its cheap as chips these days anyway

cpu, psu, hdd, and case are fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement