Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outlook freezes using exchange mailbox

• 09-10-2007 12:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

I have a user connecting to an Exchange 2000 mailbox from Outlook 2003.

The mailbox is one that he has always used on his computer, so its not like he is adding a new mailbox.

Sometimes he reports that outlook freezes on him.

And sometimes gets a similar message to:

"Outlook was not shut down properly last time....."

I've taken a look and asked him to clear down his "deleted items" because there doesn't seem to be any problems with the install.

Apart from this he does receive alot of PDF's.

Anyone got any suggestions? - I mean I just assume that outlook will be slow if you have alot of mail, deleted items and attachements.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I've been Googling a bit more into this and haven't found anything too useful yet.

I'm starting to think that it can be taken as badly designed software on microsofts behalf.

Would appreciate any feedback though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Does he have a lot of PST files? Also, is he connected to an Exchange mailbox or is he downloading his mail from Exchange via POP?

Also check out his temporary internet files. There's an interesting overrun bug which we encountered;

When you open a file directly from Outlook (instead of saving it first), it stores a copy in a hidden folder in the user's temporary internet files, with the same name as the file itself. We have MFD's which allow scan-to-email. The scan arrives in the user's inbox with the name "scan001.pdf".

When the user opens the first "scan001.pdf", it gets saved into the temporary internet files with that name. Then when the user receives another scan (same name, different file) and opens it, it goes into the temporary internet files as "scan001(1).pdf". The next one goes in as "scan001(2).pdf" and so on. One user received so many scans that he got to "scan001(99).pdf". Each time he attempted to open a scanned PDF file after this, Outlook got unhappy. It didn't crash, but did give errors. It was also deadly slow.

One quick dump of the temporary internet files later, and the user and his Outlook were happy and productive.

Not saying that this is your issue, but when you said "PDF" it reminded me of this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Interesting you mention that.

I cant get near his computer at the moment.

Will give your suggestion a go though, it may help - sounds like it could be the problem... as far as I can remember there were alot of PDF files.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

are there any problems with the backup on exchange, we've had to recreate corrupt accounts before :(

do they use PST's or local OST - use the scanpst / scanost tools to check them out (from the not shutdown message)

how big is the mailbox in case you are hitting the old 2GB limit or even the 4Gb fat32 one

do you have any addons ?

try exporting the entire pst to a new pst and then swap the names over

Advertisement