Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman found dead near Lakeshore Drive

Options
  • 09-10-2007 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

can't really add anything to it ...

from breakingnews.ie
    Gardaí in Galway are investigating the death of a woman whose body was found on waste ground in the city this morning.

The discovery was made between Lakeshore Drive and Ceannt Railway Station at around 9.30am.

The scene has been sealed off for forensic examination and the State Pathologist has been called to examine the body.

A post mortem will be carried out to determine the exact cause of death.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Do you live near the scene Morbid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ironic name OP!

Nothing on Galwaynews.ie about it yet
    That's a big open area isn't it, or was it in the fields under the railway line?

Does this have any connection with the sexual assaults I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Thread re-opened.

If you have information you believe could be of assistance, please report it to the Gardai before posting it here :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

i just think it's all very sad, she only arrived in Galway and look what happens. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I believe she was 17, over here studying English or some such and had arrived just a week ago. I really hope they catch the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

Hello,

Please let us know that you reported this to the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

I believe she was 17, over here studying English or some such and had arrived just a week ago. I really hope they catch the guy.

+1.

A desperately sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

This is just so so sad, the poor girl :( I really hope they find the bastard who did this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Perhaps the council may consider putting lights or even cameras along that walkway.
    It will be used by pedestrians because it cuts quite a bit off the journey from eyre square to renmore, and things like this are going to keep happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Terrible, imagine being the family back in Switzerland and getting a phone call from the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Shocked to hear this. Just shocked.

What an awful way to go. Must be awful for the family on the way over from Switzerland now.

I wonder is there any connections with whats going on in Athlone. Down there they had to close a road recently due to the number of assaults on young women.

I believe the Gardai were handing out warning flyers.

Maybe something similar should be done here before another tragedy occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I live on lakeshore drive, just down the road from the incident
    I hope to christ they get the guy
    Cops didnt call here yet, I imagine they will be around tomorow
    I saw cops and forensics still there earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

We were talking about it at work today. When was the last time there was a Murder Inquiry in Galway? There has been a good few ManSlaughters but I think the last Murder was the Female Taxi Driver. I have a good imagination but I can't even slightly imagine how that girls parents feel for their daughter to be gone so soon after leaving home. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tragic story. Only 17 ffs.

Wonder is this the same bastard responsible for all these sexual assaults? There have been quite a few of them in the area between town and Renmore/Mervue in recent years.

Hope whoever did it is caught and rots in hell for it.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

I wonder was the murderer Irish or non-Irish.

Maybe you're thinking what i'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Thinks last murder inquriy was Nancy Nolan in Ballygar about 6/7 years ago. Not forgetting Jack Frost earlier this year.

I have a gut feeling they'll get this guy ... Christ imagine what the Swedes think of Galway today.

Bit like that fcuker that slashed the Aussie girl in town a few years back. At least she said she'd never hold anything against the city (IIRC).

The fcuker should be shot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Is the "Mister Freeze" case not a murder enquiry? I know he was murdered years ago and frozen but he was only discovered this year.

And that surely can't be manslaughter

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Shinto wrote:

Maybe you're thinking what i'm thinking.
    The Black'n'Tans?

The barracks are right there. Have soldiers patrolling these areas/bridge at night.
    No rifles needed, just truncheons.

Maybe a few snipers with night vision goggles creeping around the bushes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Shinto wrote:

That Railway Path to Renmore was very well populated by native scumbags for years, long before Ireland became a net importer of people.

I would look no further than the city limits. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

soundbyte wrote:
    Christ imagine what the Swedes think of Galway today.

I doubt they think any less of the place.......i think you mean Swiss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Wasn't there a medical student murdered by her boyfriend 2 summers ago, or what the verdict in that?

Very sad, and considering the number of rapes in that area over the years, probably very avoidable if the council had bothered with proper security.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Wasn't there a medical student murdered by her boyfriend 2 summers ago, or what the verdict in that?
    That was last summer, it has yet to go to trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Surely the host family/Language school could have advised her about the danger of the tracks. She was only 4 days in the country and knew about the short cut. I would have thought that no matter what country you are in, shortcuts are ususally off the beaten track and to be treated with caution.

Don't get me wrong here, the whole thing is tragic and I'm not finding blame with anyone, but surely shortcuts in a strange country when you're only 4 days here - she should have understood the risks.

Switzerland is safe as houses. She has no reason to believe Ireland is anything but. Galway would also be the safest city in Ireland, size wise - not that she knew this. People use these dodgy walks thousands of times a year without hassle.

It could have been any young girl walking down that way when this killer decided to hurt someone.

You know, for once it'd be nice if a psycho killer decides to only choose big strong men as victims instead of young girls. Just once.

• Advertisement

I was listening to the radio last night and they believed that she had ran on to the wasteground to escape from whoever was chasing her.

as of yet, there is no evidence to back this up, I don't think? so it's just hearsay for now I guess.
    Galway murder linked to sex attacks

Gardaí are investigating whether the murder of a 17-year-old Swiss student in Galway may be linked to recent sexual assaults.

Detectives are investigating several cases of sexual assault in the Ceannt station and city centre area over the past three months.

One man had been arrested in relation to a reported assault in late September and was released. Files were being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Postmortem results showed that Manuela Riedo, a student from Berne who had only been in Galway for three days, died from asphyxiation.

Ms Riedo was one of a group of 43 students in final year in school near Berne, who had arrived in Dublin airport on Saturday night. The group then travelled to Galway for a two-week English language course.

Source: ireland.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement