Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman found dead near Lakeshore Drive

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

biko wrote:
    People use these dodgy walks thousands of times a year without hassle.

Are that not a number of rapes there every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Are that not a number of rapes there every year?

No there aren't.

The line is not as unsafe as people make it out to be. Yes, things have happened there in the past but let's not get carried away.

There are not a number of rapes on the line every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

biko wrote:
    Switzerland is safe as houses. She has no reason to believe Ireland is anything but.
    But can you really think this, in this day and age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

Whoever the ****ing piece of **** bum who did this is needs to be buried alive

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

MargeS wrote: »
    But can you really think this, in this day and age?
    I guess as a young female you always have to be wary but that has always been the case. Killers have attacked single females throughout the ages.
    I've no stats but don't think attacks have risen drastically recently, again no stats.

Hopefully this crime will be solved quickly and something will be done about those risky areas. Cameras, street lights and arbitrary army/police foot patrols will scare these monsters away - but they will not go away completely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Shinto wrote: »
    I wonder was the murderer Irish or non-Irish.

Maybe you're thinking what i'm thinking.

The only thing I'm thinking is that you're a racist for making a comment like that.

Very sad story and bad news for the city. No need to go suspecting every foreign national in the city though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

finlma wrote: »
    The only thing I'm thinking is that you're a racist for making a comment like that.

Very sad story and bad news for the city. No need to go suspecting every foreign national in the city though.

It could very well be a foreign national, it does not make him a racist for wondering what the murderers nationality is, especially considering that there is a large number of immigrants in Ireland now.

I hate the fact that you can't say anything regarding a foreign national in Ireland right now without being labelled a racist. These guys coming into our country are people too, just like you or me, and among them there will be some criminals capable of committing an act such as this...its nothing new, just an unfortunate fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

biko wrote: »
    Switzerland is safe as houses.[/I]

You obviously never lived in Switzerland...

It's a horrible case alright ..Let's hope they catch this monster soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Since when has being non-Irish been a race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭pid()

This is awful, I really hope they catch who did it. I only moved to Galway recently and I hope this kind of crap doesn't happen anymore. The last thing we need is a series of murders. I hope the students walking home from GMIT and NUIG don't walk alone. I used to go to college in Tralee and a series of rapes happened down there; 5 people raped in one month - 3 of which were male. Warnings were issued around the college and meetings were held. I hope the same awareness is being raised at the colleges and schools in Galway. Tragic that such a young life is taken away so suddenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

pid() wrote: »
    This is awful, I really hope they catch who did it. I only moved to Galway recently and I hope this kind of crap doesn't happen anymore. The last thing we need is a series of murders. I hope the students walking home from GMIT and NUIG don't walk alone. I used to go to college in Tralee and a series of rapes happened down there; 5 people raped in one month - 3 of which were male. Warnings were issued around the college and meetings were held. I hope the same awareness is being raised at the colleges and schools in Galway. Tragic that such a young life is taken away so suddenly.

Apparently they're giving out free personal alarms in NUIG and also information on safety/safe ways of getting home, but I haven't noticed any of this, it was my mother in Cork who asked if I'd gotten an alarm.

Where exactly is this walkway? Because I'm new to the area I don't recognise the placename.

Tragic story. Is it true that the parents are still in Switzerland because they are too distraught to travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

It could very well be a foreign national, it does not make him a racist for wondering what the murderers nationality is, especially considering that there is a large number of immigrants in Ireland now.

Of course the murderer could be from anywhere. But the OP suggests that its more likely to be a non-Irish person than an Irish person without actually saying it. It's negative attitudes like that that perpetuate racism and ghettoism.

Either way it doesn't matter where a person is from - a murderer is a murderer no matter what.

Of course the murderer could be from anywhere. But the OP suggests that its more likely to be a non-Irish person than an Irish person without actually saying it. It's negative attitudes like that that perpetuate racism and ghettoism.

Either way it doesn't matter where a person is from - a murderer is a murderer no matter what.

Prejudice based on nationality is not racism.

If you want to know the place to avoid then go to Galway Train station from Eyre Square. Head on past the main door and opposite the carpark is a pathway with yokes on it to prevent bikes. it leads from the station to the army barracks in Renmore.

I was on the pathway Monday evening, it did feel pretty dodgy wandering aroudn on my own there (I was applying to the army reserves)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I was on the pathway Monday evening, it did feel pretty dodgy wandering aroudn on my own there

If I were you id contact the Gardai and let them know you were walking the path that evening. Granted you didnt see anything, but when cops ask other people in the area about that evening (and they visited quite a few houses today), they might give your description and you might end up a possible suspect. Dont get me wrong, Im not making accusations :) But it could help Garda investigation in limiting the number of people seen walking that evening

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

Finlma......how dare you!

Re-read my exact words. Re-read them again a second time. You have the audacity to accuse me of racism because YOU inferred that i suggested it was more likely that the murderer was a non-national.

Re-read my words for the 3rd time and tell me how you derived that inference.

You can't even mention immigration in this pathetic country without being accused of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I come from a small town but even so we always walked our female friends home, even if it happened to be in the opposite direction from our own homes. I hope guys in Galway make sure they do this.

The rape alarms are nothing new. They've been around since I was in 1st year (the 1st time around) in 2005. And they gave them out free to everyone in GMIT if they wanted one. Also, GMIT have a deal with Cara Cabs that if you don't have any money, they will take your student card and you can get it back from them when you drop the money in.

I'm unsure of if NUIG does this too.

I'm not doing this to advertise anything specifically, but just so people have the number for them, it's 091 56 39 39. I state again, it's not advertising them, it's to ensure people are aware of this

There's also a full list of cab numbers here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

MattKid wrote: »
    I come from a small town but even so we always walked our female friends home, even if it happened to be in the opposite direction from our own homes. I hope guys in Galway make sure they do this.

Yeah im sure most will walk a female friend home.Funny thing is you drive through Galway or any town for that matter after night club hours in the wee hours of the morning.Believe me its an eye opener to see the amount of dangerous situations people put themselves in, male or female.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I sincerely hope that whoever is responsible for this heinous crime is caught. I, for one, would support whatever punishment is meted out to the lower lifeform who killed this child (and, despite what some may think, 17 is still childhood).

As for the number of murders locally, I think that the last was the Freezer Man. In the last number of years there was, Malcolm O'Shaughnessy stabbed by an American on Dominic Street; the medical student in an apartment off Fr Griffin Road; and Eileen O'Shaughnessy, a female taxi driver, around 10 years ago. Each murder had strong suspects, IIRC.

And sorry for this OT, but it has to be done.
    Shinto wrote:
    I wonder was the murderer Irish or non-Irish.

Maybe you're thinking what i'm thinking.

And what, pray tell, would you be thinking? Personally, I'm thinking something that would get me barred for personal attacks.
    Shinto wrote:
    Finlma......how dare you!

Re-read my exact words. Re-read them again a second time. You have the audacity to accuse me of racism because YOU inferred that i suggested it was more likely that the murderer was a non-national.

Re-read my words for the 3rd time and tell me how you derived that inference.

You can't even mention immigration in this pathetic country without being accused of racism.

I've re-read your original statement several times, as has my partner. I'm Galwegian, she's Polish. We both read it as you saying "it's a foreigner done it, start the lynchings". I reckon that Finmla has read it the same way.

We "derived that inference" by reading what looks like the post of yet another bigot.

And for someone who, according to your sig, has immigrated, perhaps, if you are innocent of bigotry, you should learn to phrase things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Fey! wrote: »
    As for the number of murders locally, I think that the last was the Freezer Man. In the last number of years there was, Malcolm O'Shaughnessy stabbed by an American on Dominic Street; the medical student in an apartment off Fr Griffin Road; and Eileen O'Shaughnessy, a female taxi driver, around 10 years ago. Each murder had strong suspects, IIRC..

Freezer man was drug related. Wasn't the Malcom O'S one Manslughter? 2 lads from the US were caught and jumped bail?? The one in Fr. Griffin Rd was a boyfriend/girlfriend thing? I still have good faith that they will get the person who murdered Eileen. Its one of the Cold Cases been opened up by this new Task Force. Galway is probably one of the safest places to live.

CCTV is the only way to go to be a deterent to "baddies".
    I think all Housing Estates should be fitted with CCTV just like Street Lighting. It should be part of the Planing Application. As for Costs; How much money would be saved on Gardai/Courts/Prisons if there was less crime. Wasn't there a thing in the news during the week; In the UK they reckon you are been watched all the time (not literly but more than any other country in the world).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway City has 23 CCTV cameras that are monitored 24/7.
    "Every" brit (London?) is captured on a camera 300 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

CCTV is a cop-out compared to getting more cops out on the street, patrolling regularly instead of dealing with paperwork.
    An effort to reduce the amount of paper shuffling a Garda has to do would free up more man-hours to patrol the communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

I sincerely hope that whoever is responsible for this heinous crime is caught. I, for one, would support whatever punishment is meted out to the lower lifeform who killed this child (and, despite what some may think, 17 is still childhood).

As for the number of murders locally, I think that the last was the Freezer Man. In the last number of years there was, Malcolm O'Shaughnessy stabbed by an American on Dominic Street; the medical student in an apartment off Fr Griffin Road; and Eileen O'Shaughnessy, a female taxi driver, around 10 years ago. Each murder had strong suspects, IIRC.

And sorry for this OT, but it has to be done.

And what, pray tell, would you be thinking? Personally, I'm thinking something that would get me barred for personal attacks.

I've re-read your original statement several times, as has my partner. I'm Galwegian, she's Polish. We both read it as you saying "it's a foreigner done it, start the lynchings". I reckon that Finmla has read it the same way.

We "derived that inference" by reading what looks like the post of yet another bigot.

And for someone who, according to your sig, has immigrated, perhaps, if you are innocent of bigotry, you should learn to phrase things better.

+1

The casual bigotry in this thread is disturbing.

Poor girl, I hope they catch the pr!ck.

It's on all the newspapers today. Each one showing the same picture at the Spanish arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Fey - I thought the student on Fr. Griffin (Killed by her BF) wasn't murder? Could be wrong though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Fey - I thought the student on Fr. Griffin (Killed by her BF) wasn't murder? Could be wrong though :o

I'm happy to stand corrected on that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm happy to stand corrected on that. Thanks.

The case was very low profile, I didnt see it in the papers at all :confused:

I thought it was manslaughter but could be wrong... heard all sorts of stories, wouldn't know what to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

The rape alarms are nothing new. They've been around since I was in 1st year (the 1st time around) in 2005. And they gave them out free to everyone in GMIT if they wanted one. Also, GMIT have a deal with Cara Cabs that if you don't have any money, they will take your student card and you can get it back from them when you drop the money in.

I'm unsure of if NUIG does this too.QUOTE]

There was a deal like that when I was in NUIG anyway, not sure if it was Cara cabs, though. People should def use the facility.

Ive walked that train line once to get to the barracks and it was swarmed with skum with bottles of Buckfast I can honestly say i was scared and there were six of us in it. It was about 5pm.

What happened to this girl is so tragic, how could someone have let her walk along there after a night out? There must'nt have been any locals with her to advise otherwise really sad story, id advise anyone not to go near that railway line I was warned of it my first week in college.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Prejudice based on nationality is not racism.

If it's not, then it's pretty close to it.

Back on topic, let's just hope that the killer is caught quickly.

• Advertisement

big b wrote: »
    If it's not, then it's pretty close to it.

Easy response to that but the who "racism" hate stuff has dragged on too long here. So I'm not gonna say anything as it'd prolong the course.
    There was a deal like that when I was in NUIG anyway, not sure if it was Cara cabs, though. People should def use the facility.

Ive walked that train line once to get to the barracks and it was swarmed with skum with bottles of Buckfast I can honestly say i was scared and there were six of us in it. It was about 5pm.

What happened to this girl is so tragic, how could someone have let her walk along there after a night out? There must'nt have been any locals with her to advise otherwise really sad story, id advise anyone not to go near that railway line I was warned of it my first week in college.
    RIP

I know what you mean, it unnerved me when I was going to the barracks in broad daylight, I was just thinking about how easy it would be for someone to be mugged.
    I only found out it was dangerous as I looked on Wikimapia for the directions to the barracks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement