Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman found dead near Lakeshore Drive

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Some good points there Morbid Angel.

As I posted in AH, I used to live in Remore and was the night porter in the Fairgreen Hotel (kip;))
    I walked that line 5-6 nights a week for 6 months and never any hassle unless it was a weekend night and it was warm and then you'd have kids on the Radisson helipad asking for smokes. I just ignored them

So I've more experience than most of that line and it never even occured to me that I was risking my life or serious injury walking on my own at night.

The line near Renmore is pitch black at night and you can hear people approaching long before you can see them.
    But I'd often meet women walking home on their own around 10:30pm as I walked to work. So it did go on back then, in 2004.

You raised a good point about the waste ground.
    The first time I tried to find the entrance by the barracks, I failed and I ended up in that area. It's very possible she could not find the line and so was never even on it. But that's a moot point.

Hope they catch this scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

wet-paint wrote: »
    nice post Morbid.

No such thing. I work there, and if anyone uses gloves to work with the dogs, which they don't, they'd be just regular garden gloves.

Where did you hear this curious reference?

like i said crime line or call whatever that crime show on rte is called. i remember because i was thinking why they hadnt caught the person if they could focus it there. i really did hear them say this and if thats true about the gardening gloves then thats awful of rte to say.

it was the screwdriver case i was thinking off in relation with the gloves.
    im so happy they got that bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Is it not possible that she was attacked on the Line and tried to flee over the wasteland?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

I hope they find him quickly. Galway is so small that you hear all kinds of rumours. All that I've heard that I'll put up here is that Ive heard that it is probably the same guy as Athlone. I drive, but I'm at home early at the moment. I hope they catch the ***************** soon (too many expletives to explain with *'s). I wish they'd castrate people like him.

I know that several of the language students who haven't been sent home are scared out of their wits. They won't go out at night even with friends (female). The story seems to be very slurred and twisted as far as they are concened. A girl who is a language student from Spain told me that the girl was brought out of the King's Head and brought to some forest by a man... She has heard and understood a completley different incorrect story, and will not leave her host family's home despite what they say. I understand that the language schools are doing a lot to ease the tension and anxiety of their students but really they should explain the real story as thought by the gardai so that they can enjoy their remaining time here safely.

I don't think it's racist to wonder if they attacker is national or non-national. In fairness, that would only be the case if it was suggested that the killer was of a certain race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

i think wondering if its a national or non national is like wondering if the persons from galway or cork or dublin, wondering if he's tall or small ect. everyone gets a image in their heads of what they think he looks like generally this is conjuged from what we ourselves fear.

it would be racist to ASSUME he's foreign however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Officers are searching for an E European according to the Sunday Indo, and are working on the theory it may be the guy who was carrying out attacks in Athlone.

Fey, you and the girlfriend better get out your angry pen and get onto the Sindo :p

Having said that, the Sindo is a rag you wouldnt wipe your arse with (thinks back to Liam Lawlors post death coverage)

it would be racist to ASSUME he's foreign however.

Unless he's Caucasian. Then it could hardly be racism. Or if you want to be specific and go into ethnic groups, he could be Scottish, or from Brittany or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

We all bleed red.
    There is no such thing as racism, unless you're prejudiced against dogs, dolphins or Giger-esque xenomorphs.
    "Nationalism" is what you mean in my opinion, but of course, that's to be applauded.
    "Brits Out" eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Having said that, the Sindo is a rag you wouldnt wipe your arse with (thinks back to Liam Lawlors post death coverage)

To true. It used to be halfway decent up until about 5-7 years ago. It's gone rapidly downhill and is getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

What if we assume he's a racist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 GalwaysMayor

A Foreign National between 20 and 30 is the profilers idea of the main culprit. That’s what a Garda said to me on the QT.
    The people of Galway have been very, very upset about this murder or any murder. We’re a very close nit City down here. A lot of women are scared and are being very cautious. I just don’t know why Manuela was allowed to walk into town from there! It was crazy, no one every walks that line after dark, if they do they are mad!
    I feel that the feedback of absolute shock across the country, about this type of thing happening in Galway of all places, from people that I’ve spoken to over the last week has lifted the Heart of Galway people a lot. Thanks to everyone who shared our shock. I’m sorry this has happened and hope the family of Manuela could one day return to see our beautiful City and also see the true charm, fun, warmth and love of the Galwegian people.

May Manuela Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Indeed. You should also see the true charm of them, by fúcking off to Glasgow.
    What a beautiful post, you do realise that the spoken word usually reads terribly when transcribed verbatim, aye?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A Foreign National between 20 and 30 is the profilers idea of the main culprit. That’s what a Garda said to me on the QT.
    The people of Galway have been very, very upset about this murder or any murder. We’re a very close nit City down here. A lot of women are scared and are being very cautious. I just don’t know why Majella was allowed to walk into town from there! It was crazy, no one every walks that line after dark, if they do they are mad!
    I feel that the feedback of absolute shock across the country, about this type of thing happening in Galway of all places, from people that I’ve spoken to over the last week has lifted the Heart of Galway people a lot. Thanks to everyone who shared our shock. I’m sorry this has happened and hope the family of Majella could one day return to see our beautiful City and also see the true charm, fun, warmth and love of the Glaswegian people.

May Majella Rest In Peace.

Um, Majella?? Is it not Manuela??

Sorry, spell check mistake! Didn't notice the change!

SyxPak wrote: »
    We all bleed red.
    There is no such thing as racism, unless you're prejudiced against dogs, dolphins or Giger-esque xenomorphs.
    "Nationalism" is what you mean in my opinion, but of course, that's to be applauded.
    "Brits Out" eh?

"hath not a jew eyes?"

I agree, I disagree with the concept of race. There's only the human race.
    But calling people racists for prejudice annoys the obsessive compulsive inside me.

In fairness though,I think prejudice against Dogs, dolphins etc is speciesism.
    As dogs aren't a race.

Yes I'm a bright, obersvant hopeless smart arse.

sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Christen

Good Day Everyone.

My name is Christen, and I presently reside in Northern California.

I was informed about Ms. Riedo's murder only yesterday, and therefore I'm a little late in joining in with any discussion concerning this situation. But have read everyone's messages and would like to comment if I may.

I would like to comment on the post made by GalwaysMayor.
    The post concerning the profile elementals which were made privy to him/her.

I would also have to agree, that the offender responsible is most probably someone between the ages suggested, and most probably in early 20's rather than being much older.
    I'm not so much agreeing with these parameters simply because it is a statistically-supported statement, but because the dynamics involved in this particualr case suggest as much.
    Those dynamics of course, taking into account the chronologics, locational factors-assault site selection, the manner of assault and cause of death.

The offender here appears to be someone with little experience, but may have, as stated in the newspapers, committed other similar crimes and in areas quite similar to the one chosen in this case.
    Without knowing exactly what was left for investigators at the scene, I would only be speculating about what may or may not have transpired between the killer and the victim. But going on what has been made available to the public, I believe the possibilities leave a us a narrow margin.

This man is obviously someone having some familiarity with the area. This may suggest he is a local of County Galway. But as was stated, he may be a visitor to this locale, and not someone who has spent considerable time here or had grown up in the area. I believe he is a visitor. His age would suggest a student.

The statement that Galway is a relatively safe community to reside when considering a number of factors appears to be an accurate statement.

Therefore something occurring with such magnitude as this, would be considered out of the ordinary and other crimes leading up to it would usually, but not always, be evident. The few cases of sexaul assault which have take place in the Centre area/Ceannt Station, have perked my curiosity and I believe may be of importance in the investigation. Rape-murder does not usually take place without some kind of precipitating event(s) or behaviors having been noted.

The dynamics here in Ms. Riedo's case suggest an offender who did not utilize a vehicle and possibly, does not own one.

He has some relationship to the downtown area. He may frequent the local pubs in search for his victim. And follows them around.

It is my understanding that Ms. Riedo was residing with a family within a few hundred meters of the location? If this information is accurate, may say something more about this offender than what we are made to believe.

I have quite a bit more to add here, but would rather hear from others here who can give me more in which to work with. And who can be a wealth of information due to being locals, something I would have no real idea about since I am quite a distance away and have never visted this particular part of Ireland.

I look forward to any and all responses and opinions. Thanks..

Sincerely
    Christen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Christen you say his age would suggest he was a student ! How do you know? The police haven't released a description of a suspect to the public because for all that we know they don't have one. Also it has never been released that she was sexually assaulted.
    As for not owning a car, Galway is very small and is easy to get around on foot or by public transport.
    I think it's best to leave the profiling of a suspect to the police.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Just when you thought the speculation on this thread couldn't become more wild and baseless and so far divorced from reality, you may as well postulate that Ceannt station is in fact a lunar base and the line itself is made of cheese...

Seriously though kids, why not leave the investigation to the cops, the bombastic speculation to the red top press and we'll all be a lot better off?

To be honest there was no need for this thread to be started in the first place. Yes, warn people that there is possible danger out there; yes, express your sympathies; but don't speculate.

The Gardai are working on the case, and I have full faith that they are doing their best. Why not just close this thread and leave it to the Gardai?

In any case, should a conviction be sought, the trial would be in danger of collapse because of rumours and speculation above. Lawyers for the accused would simply suggest that the media attention/rumours could have an affect on the jurors' decision. There will be plenty of rumours in the press, we don't need to add to that.

(And I don't think that posting information given to you on the 'QT' is responsible or necessary.)

Mods, is this thread really necessary anymore?

Maybe the reason for speculation is something to do with the fact that the Gardai haven't released anymore information. Their is definitely a sense of fear in Galway. I don't know how real this fear is, but it's there. The reason for the speculation could also come from this fear.
    I personal blame the Gardai, who have constantly stated that they have "No more information at present". This statement has been repeated almost daily.
    Don't get too hung up on people speculating, everyone is entitled to do it and it is a natural reaction to such a crime.
    I think, from my personal travels, that one of the most dangerous areas of any City or any town is the local train station.
    Going through all the major crimes in Galway over the past 10 to 12 years, you’ll find that the vast majority of them were carried out by people who were not Galwegians. So it is very fair to speculate that the person is not from Galway or maybe a foreign national!!!
    I seriously doubt that a couple of thousand views on a website would count as an inability for the accused to get a fair trial. It’s never worked before in Irish law, I doubt it’ll work now!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

So it is very fair to speculate that the person is not from Galway or maybe a foreign national!!!

umm..hmmm...

Elaborate, Please!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it *could* be a foreign national, but I don't think it deserved three !'s.

damn polish, coming over here.. murdering all our women.

Maybe the reason for speculation is something to do with the fact that the Gardai haven't released anymore information. Their is definitely a sense of fear in Galway. I don't know how real this fear is, but it's there. The reason for the speculation could also come from this fear.
    I personal blame the Gardai, who have constantly stated that they have "No more information at present". This statement has been repeated almost daily.
    Don't get too hung up on people speculating, everyone is entitled to do it and it is a natural reaction to such a crime.
    I think, from my personal travels, that one of the most dangerous areas of any City or any town is the local train station.
    Going through all the major crimes in Galway over the past 10 to 12 years, you’ll find that the vast majority of them were carried out by people who were not Galwegians. So it is very fair to speculate that the person is not from Galway or maybe a foreign national!!!
    I seriously doubt that a couple of thousand views on a website would count as an inability for the accused to get a fair trial. It’s never worked before in Irish law, I doubt it’ll work now!

Maybe the Gardai have no more information at present, or none that they can release because of lack of concrete evidence, etc. I personally would rather that the Gardai get on with the job, which is what they are doing.
    You say you blame the Gardai for the sense of fear in Galway. Perhaps speculation such as that above is to blame? Perhaps giving out descriptions of 'suspects' causes people to become suspicious of any person matching that description?
    I personally am not scared. I have no reason to be. Yes, there is someone out there who killed a girl, but at any one time in Galway there are probably many more who have or who have thought about doing the same thing. Why should I walk around in fear? Yes, I might take extra precaution like taking the bus or a taxi when it's dark, but I would do that anyway. It's common sense.
    You can't live your life in fear. You can be cautious, but that caution does not have to be motivated by fear. I have yet to speak to someone who is walking around in fear. People realise that these things, however tragic, happen, and that we must get on with our lives. Most people are smart enough not to walk alone at night, etc. This poor girl was not from the area, perhaps did not know better.
    In short, this sense of fear you describe is not caused by the 'lack' of information from the Gardai. (In fact, I would argue that most people are not living in fear.) Speculation is dangerous, it can cause fear if people go too far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Maybe the reason for speculation is something to do with the fact that the Gardai haven't released anymore information.
    So in the absence of actual information, let's declare open season for spurious conjecture and hearsay?
    Their is definitely a sense of fear in Galway. I don't know how real this fear is, but it's there. The reason for the speculation could also come from this fear.
    From what I've read of the case, the Gardai have put forward a reasonable amount of information. Perhaps you'd like rolling Sky News style coverage where every half-truth and minor update is treated as a cataclysmic revelation?
    I think, from my personal travels, that one of the most dangerous areas of any City or any town is the local train station. You'll also find
    It may also be fair to speculate that a large portion of the population of Galway are non-Galwegian or even foreign nationals!!!eleven!
    Does that give us free license to let our imaginations run wild?

GalwaysMayor, your sole Boards posting record is made up of posts in relation to this murder, which some may regard as inflammatory and agenda driven. This begs the question, you don't happen to be a politican (or lackey therof) or an even-lazier-than-normal hack?

How can you blame the Gardai? I'm sure if they had the information that would help the public identify the guy they would release it, they said they were doing DNA testing and this could take weeks for a result.
    My friends father is a detective and she has hardly seen him since this has happened because he and all the other gardai that are on the case are working their arses off to catch the scum bag.

Sorry, but that is totally hypocritical. You’re speculating, now, about the Gardai, and also speculating that I'm causing fear!!! This is a discussion website. It never ceases to amaze me hope many people on this site complain about what other people are saying or the way they are saying it as opposed to actually discussing the situation or problem at hand. I’m sure we are all entitled to our opinion and are free to express this without being told that we need to be politically correct or change our views to suit other people. Obviously taking “incitement to hatred” into account.

Robbo wrote: »
    GalwaysMayor, your sole Boards posting record is made up of posts in relation to this murder, which some may regard as inflammatory and agenda driven. This begs the question, you don't happen to be a politican (or lackey therof) or an even-lazier-than-normal hack?

I have another profile on boards that is actually my full name, I didn't wan't to put my actual name to this thread.
    Why oh why oh why do all threads on boards.ie eventually end up in assassination of character and then other board.ie users thinking they have some extra right over other board.ie users. No I'm not a politician.
    I'll speculate to my hearts content, thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Christen

Hello hairyfairy.
    Your response had taken me aback as it appeared quite harsh and unwarranted in my view. But I did ask for others opinions and I take it for what ever it may have been.
    My educated opinion, (and that is all it is) is just as viable as any other that has or will be given here, and worthy of contribution and discussion as much as yours or anothers. Wouldn't you agree?

As far as leaving the profiling to the police?
    Not many police officers are trained in the area of criminal behavioral profiling. Nor do they take much stalk in this type of analysis. They are more inclined to look for the things they can better grasp, those in the realm of the physical, like solid forensic evidence such dna, hair and fiber, etc.. An adept offender behavioral analyst is who should be making such statements.

I believe we can pretty much deduce that this crime was a sexually-motivated crime can we not? Therefore, I am taking such a posture drawn on inference only. One not entirely lacking in substantiation from the manner in which this young woman had been assaulted and murdered.
    You can be certain that she was sexually assaulted and there will be biological evidence recovered from her body and the scene. She will have most assuredly sustained a violent physical assault as well. This is the type of offender who commits such acts, it's part of his problem. And his crimes will only escalate. Do you happen to know if a knife or a weapon such as a rock or blunt instrument was utilized during the assault? No. I don't believe you would.
    But this is the type of personality who would require such an item of power and control as he would use this to either intimidate his victim into compliance or batter and subdue her so that she will be defenseless to ward off his sexual assault.

I was taking into consideration the exact location her body was found. The location is highly suggestive of her having walked along or possibly ran along the railway line. I would also believe the evidence suggests she had been forced down the small embankment and this is where the assault had taken place, not dumped there, nor had anyone driven a vehicle along the lower path to that site.

The fear that any speculation here on this about the offender responsible for Manuela's murder possibly harming the prosecution is fear mongering in itself.
    This is a public board and it's intentions are for reasonable and considerate debate concerning a number of issues that face society. Since when did having an opinion become harmful and elicit a response boardering on the suggestion of censorship? That is the impression I get from reading a few members messages here.

I'll tell you this much, and I have no difficulty in stating my views when I feel they are worthy and done so with sensible thought and consideration behind them. This individual is a serial killer. And hiding behind a rock is not going to help anyone or make him go away. I don't make this statement lightly nor do I wish to cause anyone to panic. But I know these types better than most others here. Just remember that I said this when the day comes you realize this to be the case.

With all due respect
    Christen Allen Iman

• Advertisement

IMO Christen you seem to have a very unhealthy obsession with this case, if you want to get some more information about this murder why don't you contact the local Gardai here in Galway and see what they make of your opinion!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement