Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco Network exams

Options
  • 09-10-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

hi, not sure where i should post this but here goes. Im looking for a bit of career guidance especially from pople who know the industry.

Anyway im currently a 3rd year student doing a BIS degree. The obvious career path for me when i qualify is a business analyst role. My problem is that im considering going into network Security.
    My course has only a little networking&Security topics so im thinking of taking the cisco exams.
    I prob should start with a CCNA course, then go onto a CCVP and then i think a cisco security1 and 2 (info based from cisco.cit.ie)

My main worrys here are that pursuing this career path and doing all the extra cisco exams that my college degree will be of no use to me and a waste of time.
    OR is there a role where i could blend the two qualifications.

As im 3rd year im still clueless so any info is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

You might find more luck here OP

Mods will move you either way Im sure.

IT Certification

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=882

Just thinking nellocon since you still in College why not start making contacts within the industry check out ISSA Ireland or Sage-ie.
    Anyway im currently a 3rd year student doing a BIS degree. The obvious career path for me when i qualify is a business analyst role. My problem is that im considering going into network Security.

I think a business analyst would be a great starting off degree for IT security. It would definitely stand for you later on if you go into Auditing or Consultancy

The problem with the advanced Cisco exams for you is that they really require a lot time on the box, you need to be working with cisco kit all the time if you really want to progress (IMO)
    My main worries here are that pursuing this career path and doing all the extra cisco exams that my college degree will be of no use to me and a waste of time. OR is there a role where i could blend the two qualifications.
    Having a degree is NEVER a waste of time, at the very least it shows you can think/study and its definetly needed later on when you want to apply for Management roles. You can also use it as a stepping stone to go on and complete Masters in various subjects after working for a few years.

My advice to you is continue with your degree and use any spare time you have to get the basic certs in Networking & Security.

1 Linux\Unix:

With the majority of security tools written for *nix you have to learn it.

Comptia: Linux+
    Linux Professional Institute (LPI) : LPIC Level 1, LPIC Level 2
    Red Hat: Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE), Red Hat Certified Technician (RHCT)

2 Networking.

Comptia: Network +. Very basic intro into networking
    CCNA: Cisco's first Cert which should give you a great intro into networking. Its a great exam and due to be revised next month.
    MSCA: Microsoft networking, love it or hate it, you need to know it.

3 Security.

Comptia: Sec+ again a very basic Intro into security mostly outdated material but you can use it as cv filler.
    (ISC)²: Associate of (ISC)² or Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP) These are the juniors to the much recognised CISSP cert.
    SANS Institute: GIAC

Hope that gives you some ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭nellocon

Hi Static thanks for the reply,
    I think im definetly going to have to seek some professional career advice.

Firstly,
    I will be doing some unix/linux in college this year so ill have some knowledge of this.

In terms of Networking, i was thinking of taking the CCNA exam, only problem is that its on during the college year so i dont know how feasible it would be to do college work and ccna at the same time...

In terms of security obviously im gonna have to take these exams also. CISSP is what ill will be striving for..

When i graduate, i will have relatively no networking experience and this is what im confused about. How do i kick off a career in netw. security form here?

Thanks for all the help
    Regards,
    Nellocon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

As everyone has said, having a degree is never a waste if time. Also, with your BIS degree and a Security cert you might want to look at this area: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_security_audit

There are well paid jobs in Ireland in it.

Also, to be honest, since your still only in college, why narrow your focus & interests too narrow at stage? There's plenty of time to find your career niche.

For example, people I know who studied accountancy at school, at college, and worked in it, ended up hating it and wanting more diversity in their lives.

When i graduate, i will have relatively no networking experience and this is what im confused about. How do i kick off a career in netw. security form here?

I would try and get a graduate role with one of the Sec Admin companies and work for the poor cash but great experiance.

Contact RITS, PWC or some such and ask them for a few minutes of their time. Perhaps you could do your final year project on them from a business analyst perspective? Good for them, great for you, they are all looking for ways to improve business and make money.

You could also ask someone in Eircom and work in the NOC doing basic Cisco support while improving your skills.

Your not really going to be able to come straight out of college and go into heavy network security because as you mentioned you dont have the skills. I would try and think of ways I could spend the year lining up a job for yourself when you finish your degree, getting the right company will make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭nellocon

Hi guys thanks for the replies youve taken abit of a load off my mind for the time being. right now im going on work experience for the summer with a strong IT company. Im going to see what i learn there and then try and take it from there.
    Donaghs:
    Thanks for the advice security audits is exactly the kind of career im looking for so this mite be a goal to lok forward to.
    Either way im gonna have to get some certs/training in security..

Any recommendations?? CSVP / CISSP ???

FYI

CISSP® Professional Experience Requirement

Applicants must have a minimum of four years of direct full-time security professional work experience in one or more of the ten domains of the (ISC)² CISSP CBK .

https://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?category=1187

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

As of this month you will also need endorsement from an existing CISSP to attain full status (Passing the exam without meeting the experience requirements or this endorsement only attains Associate status). It used to be your manager or someone else to whom you report could write the endorsement also, not anymore. There are 2 frames of thought on the new requirements, those that have the CISSP generally think it's a good thing, the majority I've seen of those that were planning to take it believe it will cause CISSP's to become a private club and stagnate - which I kind've agree with.

BTW the CCSP is Cisco's security cert not the CCVP, you will cover securing VOIP in both it and the CCVP but the latter is not a security cert in itself. The choice between CCSP and CISSP is a pretty common question, essentially if you want to implement do the CCSP (or CCSE for Checkpoint, or Juniper etc. but the CCSP for better or worse has more visibility...and it is a great course), if you want to analyze and plan do the CISSP.'Course if you take the CCSP then the CCIE Security is available as your next jump up and it pretty much stands on it's own for recognition/respect/earning power.

Advertisement