Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Myths/Legends/Tales/Histories etc.

Options
  • 09-10-2007 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello all,

I am currently seeking tales, histories and the like of North Dublin City - particular focus on Benburb street area - stories, histories, experiences, etc - most welcome.

Thank you,

Bluemonocle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

intriuged by your request! sorry cannot contribute anything useful at the moment. Do tell us what you can about your intended research.
    You might also canvass the Dublin thread in the 'Region' section. All the best with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Benburb street was notorious in the 70s for picking up prostitutes outside the now demolished tenements. It is best describd as probley one of the last Dublin tenements to have basic living conditions were 4 to 6 famlies would have to share a communal lavatory , although i suspect that some people who lived there (of which i was not on ) will have fond memories as well , as lots of inner city Dubliners do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

OP, it might help to post this thread in the Dublin City forum too. My parents lived on Ellis Quay when they first married. I have some annecdotes about shops etc around there. If you are interested PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I recommend this book OP.
    Ok, only a small section is focused on Benurb St but it's very detailed and they had interviews from people in most areas around the city

You might find something.

If you don't buy it, the DCC library in Marino Mart has it
    http://www.amazon.com/Dublin-Tenement-Life-Kevin-Kearns/dp/0140296255

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

When Newstalk were a Dublin only station they'd a feature called Hidden Dublin. I'm pretty sure they had one about Benburb Street. My old man used to run the post office on Stoneybatter. Not sure any of his stories could be made public....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

damienom wrote: »
    When Newstalk were a Dublin only station they'd a feature called Hidden Dublin. I'm pretty sure they had one about Benburb Street. My old man used to run the post office on Stoneybatter. Not sure any of his stories could be made public....

Good call, you can't download them by podcast anymore but I've uploaded it here.
    I've all of them downloaded

Here's the Stonybatter one, it's the most relevent
    http://rapidshare.com/files/63485566/Hidden_Dublin_on_Stoneybatter.mp3.html

Advertisement