Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing Walls

Options
  • 09-10-2007 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've recently built (by a builder) an extension and I'm now in the process of chasing walls myself. I have most of it completed but now I'm not sure if I've to chase the walls for an outside light. And if so, do I chase it under the fascia/soffit?

Help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Am not a sparks but AFAIK generally outside lights are serviced by drilling out from inside or fitting the wire before the external finish:
    if u chase the outside plaster it will be v difficult to 'make good' the chase to the original finish:
    hth

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

ircoha Am not a sparks but AFAIK generally outside lights are serviced by drilling out from inside or fitting the wire before the external finish:
    if u chase the outside plaster it will be v difficult to 'make good' the chase to the original finish:
    hth

chase on inside of wall, drill through wall with 1/2" bit, can get the drill bits very cheaply in aldi & argos (normally) or a hire shop for a one-off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

when chasing the walls in my house i chased more then i needed to leave provision for cables that i could use in the future. best to do it now then later. if wireing for an outside light ied advise 1.5 nym instead of twin and earth. it fits into glands better cause its round and the earth is pvc coated and doesnt corrode as quick as the twin and earth. no harm to put in a switch cable for a photo cell, if not used at the last fix just cut it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Thanks for the responses people.

Advertisement