Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some Help

• 09-10-2007 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I work as a technical trainer for a software company, and for the next couple of weeks I'll be working with a class who will all be Muslim. I'd like to be able to break for prayer as and when they want to, without having to be asked. Are there standard times for prayer, or does it depend where you are? (I'll be in Indonesia). Also, I understand everyone is different, but are there any topics (of general conversation) that would cause offense?

thanks,
    tbh

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Hello tbh. You're very welcome to the Islam forum.

I'd like to commend you on your effort and good intentions. Wish there were more people like you.

For the prayers, I think the best thing to do would be to ask them how they would like to do it in your introduction or something.

Not sure how much you know so I'll give you a quick lowdown. There are 5 prayers that a Muslim has to pray every day. The Fajr prayer should be prayed from the time of the fajr to the time of shuruq (sunrise). Then, the other four prayers are a window from one to the next. i.e. You have to pray the Thuhr (afternoon) prayer between the Thuhr and the Asr (late afternoon). The asr between the asr and the maghrib (sunset) times and the maghrib between the maghrib and the Isha (evening) times. This link might be helpful.

But, as I say, best thing would be to ask them how they want to do it as they may want to pray at the time of the call to prayer (which is better).

As for the topics, I'd say as long as you stay clear of using any casual swearwords and don't talk about sex or anything like that then you should be fine.

Hope you have a safe and pleasant trip!! :) (that sounds like it's coming from an air hostess, doesn't it? :))

And maybe you can come back on here when you're back to relate how it was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

thanks TNM - will do.

Advertisement