Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems allowing incoming SSH NTL Router

Options
  • 09-10-2007 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

I'm using the Netgear router that I got from NTL when I signed up to their 6meg package.

I am no stranger to port forwarding/ configuration but I am having problems trying to SSH to a VMWARE (directly connected to my internet network) from an external network.

I set up port 22 to forward to 192.168.1.20 (the internal network address of that machine.

and then I ssh root@myexternalip

Just to clarify and make sure that I am not going mad.
    This is how I forwarded the port:

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WPNT834/SSH.htm

I'm starting to think that perhaps there is a component in the Netgear router/ modem that provides security to machines in the internal network.

Can anyone tell me off hand if there is.... and if you have any idea about the additional configuration needed it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Shane

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I just set it up on a similar netgear router , worked fine , it can take a while if its doing dns lookup etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Did you try taking the router out of the equation and connect directly to the NTL modem?

Advertisement