Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attention all VW Golf experts!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Sandwich wrote: »
    Shouldnt even cost you the few euros. Sale of good act should cover you if its only a few months old, was new, and was clearly not abuse by yourself since the garage is telling you "they can go anytime".

Yeah, they didn't charge me anything when I collected the car. I'm afraid to drive the thing now for fear of what might go next!
    cowenstaff wrote: »
    Thought I might throw my tuppence worth in - was there a "clatter bang" noise coming from the engine when the clutch went the first time??
    :mad:

No, nothing. Not a sound.
    BrianD3 wrote: »
    The major worry I'd have here is not the 9 euro clips but the 1100 euro clutch and flywheel change that was done. It just seems quite coincidental that the clips went, then the clutch went now the clips are gone again. I'd be wondering was clutch replaced unnecessarily.

When the clutch went what were the symptoms? Were they the same as the symptoms when the clips broke?

Yes. The exact same symptoms i.e. the clutch went to the floor completely.

When it happened the last time I thought the clutch was gone again (and wondered how was it possible having only been replaced), but it was only the clips. You couldn't tell the difference.
    Seems an awful lot alright - and there's no way they needed to take the gearbox out to get the gearbox code or the engine code of your car - the chassis number and a quick call to a dealer would tell your engine and box codes. To me it sounds like they took the gearbox out to put you in the position of not having the car until they fitted whatever they told you needed changing at whatever price they said.

True, those clips can go any time and wouldn't be part of the normal clutch change procedure, but it's odd that they went without that much time in between...

I totally agree with you, it doesn't seem to add up. And, having looked at the invoice for the new clutch again, it stated that they actually replaced the clips back then aswell. (I'm assuming this is why they didn't charge me anything the other day, that and the fact that maybe I've been ripped off here)?
    crosstownk wrote: »
    If the plastic clips were faulty in the first instance then replacing the clutch wouldn't have made a difference.

Yeah, so now I'm wondering was the new clutch absolutely necessary back then, or was a simple set of said clips was all was required again?
    cantdecide wrote: »
    It sounds like you had to pay for their education....

I couldn't have put it better myself. That could very well have been the case.

Advertisement