Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen ireland withdraws from squad

• 09-10-2007 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

He says he cannot do himself or his country justice!
    What the hell is going on with that lad:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

any linky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

SKY Sports are reporting it now. It will be all over the net in a while.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=29572

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Bloke is a disgrace

just seen it on the telly,the word 'loser' springs to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Mr Alan wrote:
    Bloke is a disgrace

I'd look a little bit closer to home if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote:
    Bloke is a disgrace
    :rolleyes:

What?

Explain that.

His antics before the last game now this . . . . shouldnt be allowed play for Ireland again imo unless he has a very valid reason for withdrawing from the squad.

Recklessone: i dont get ya?! care to explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

I'd look a little bit closer to home if I were you.

FAI / Mr. Staunton spring to mind.....

No-one doubts they are a disgrace

Mr Alan wrote:
    His antics before the last game now this . . . . shouldnt be allowed play for Ireland again imo unless he has a very valid reason for withdrawing from the squad.

my guess is he`s on about J carragher

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote:
    His antics before the last game
    Tell you what, when your girlfriend has a fúcking miscarriage, you tell me you are of sound mind, and could actually give a fúck what people think about you at the time, ok?
    Mr Alan wrote:
    now this . . . . shouldnt be allowed play for Ireland again imo unless he has a very valid reason for withdrawing from the squad.
    Well, I don't think you know the lad or anything about his personal life, so to call him a 'disgrace' without knowing the full facts is a bit silly isn't it?

Jesus Christ, some people need to get over it.

His girlfriend lost a child, HIS child, it has to affect him in some way. If he sees this as a way to have a break from the footballing world, then more power to him.

As Kevin Doyle said on the Premiership on Saturday, "These games aren't really qualifiers, because I don't think we can qualify". Maybe Ireland is thinking the same way.

The only disgraceful thing is the comments about Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Well imo if the blokes head is not in the right place then I would rather he didnt take his place as he wouldnt much use. These are massive games for us - not cos we can qualify but to cement 3rd place in the hope that it eases our group for the world cup qualifiers. And if he doesnt feel he can give 100% well then he's done the right thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote:
    Its obvious ya big ninny! He's saying that its you that is the disgrace and that you should never play for Ireland in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

I just think the guy is embarassed after the last game. He had a valid reason to go home but made a balls of how he dealt with it.
    And now he feels he has let the team and the fans down and doesnt feel its apropriate to play now.
    Personally I would prefer to see him back in the squad and playing.
    We all make mistakes, but I think this withdrawl adds to his original un-doings and people are going to be quick to attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

He's probably still embarrassed about the whole Granny Gate situation still.
    He's obviously not strong enough mentally to go into these two games for us, shame cos he's being playin' well for City.
    From here, he's obviously being goin' over the whole thing with Sven & Stan, and he's just come to the conclusion that he still can't handle the whole affair.

county wrote:

Why would I give a f*ck about Jamie Carragher?
    Mr Alan wrote:

I think your post is more deserving of being described as a disgrace. Nobody knows what his state of mind is right now, and hammering him for a difficult decision is ridiculous.

Its better he pulls out than plays when he can't concentrate on the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

In fairness he probably thinks he doesn't deserve to be in the squad because of what happened.

Either way, I'd have started Reid in the centre with carsley and have Mcgeady and hunt on the wings ahead of him.

Give the lad a break, he's just a bit messed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Mr Alan wrote:
    Bloke is a disgrace

He obviously has no motivation to play, I say fair play to him for actually admitting it - it would be far worse if he played having known that he would play poorly to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Seaneh wrote:
    Either way, I'd have started Reid in the centre with carsley and have Mcgeady and hunt on the wings ahead of him.

Dont let him near the team. Only player we have that is worse or lazier than him is JOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DeadSkin wrote:
    He's probably still embarrassed about the whole Granny Gate situation still.
    He's obviously not strong enough mentally to go into these two games for us, shame cos he's being playin' well for City.
    From here, he's obviously being goin' over the whole thing with Sven & Stan, and he's just come to the conclusion that he still can't handle the whole affair.

I think after been involved in some of Irelands recent games you get numb to being embarrassed.

I think it's fairly obvious what's going on and no one can put the lad down for what he's doing, himself and is girlfriend have gone/going through an extremley hard time especially for a couple so young.

anyone with anything bad to say about ireland is nothing but an idiotic moron.

it's a game of ball lads, he's lost his child.

• Advertisement

well i agree i should never play football for ireland, i'm unfit as ****.still have a good touch though :)
    If he does mean the Carragher thing, well then that is just stupid, they are two totally different things.
    Des i agree that if he has a "genuine" reason for needing to pull out of the squad, then fair enough, but to pull out with the reason he feels he couldnt do his country justice? Go and ask my bollox. He has been among Citys best performers over the last few weeks so the head is a mess-wont be able to play well is just a miserable excuse, and one that just doesnt wash with me.
    Des, i'm pretty sure this probably wont go down well with a lot of people on here, but the simple fact is, i dont believe his girlfriend had a miscarraige, i think he used it as an excuse after he had been caught out lying twice.
    Then he pulls out of this squad, to me it just reaffirms wat i already believed.

Example;
    if i told you i was an accountant, you then found out i was lying, so i said i was a car salesman, again, you found out i was lying, so i then said i was a chef....why would you possibly believe me?

Fact is, from wat was on his Bebo, he is more than likely just taking the break to laze around and play Pro-Evolution, the bloke has himself said he does not like playing football.

Hence why i made my original comment.

Mr Alan wrote:
    If he does mean the Carragher thing, well then that is just stupid, they are two totally different things.

Read the thread.

Mr Alan wrote:
    well i agree i should never play football for ireland, i'm unfit as ****.still have a good touch though :)
    Des i agree that if he has a "genuine" reason for needing to pull out of the squad, then fair enough, but to pull out with the reason he feels he couldnt do his country justice? Go and ask my bollox. He has been among Citys best performers over the last few weeks so the head is a mess-wont be able to play well is just a miserable excuse, and one that just doesnt wash with me.
    Des, i'm pretty sure this probably wont go down well with a lot of people on here, but the simple fact is, i dont believe his girlfriend had a miscarraige, i think he used it as an excuse after he had been caught out lying twice.
    Then he pulls out of this squad, to me it just reaffirms wat i already believed.

Example;
    if i told you i was an accountant, you then found out i was lying, so i said i was a car salesman, again, you found out i was lying, so i then said i was a chef....why would you possibly believe me?

Fact is, from wat was on his Bebo, he is more than likely just taking the break to laze around and play Pro-Evolution, the bloke has himself said he does not like playing football.

Oh dear God! I was gonna post and slightly side with you and defend your right to question him pulling out of the squad, but then you said that.
    I know I am just some random poster, but I can 100% assure you that his girlfriend was pregnant, so if she doesn't give birth in the New Year logically she lost the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Archimedes wrote:
    He obviously has no motivation to play, I say fair play to him for actually admitting it - it would be far worse if he played having known that he would play poorly to begin with.

Indeed, we have seen enough of players who look as if they would rather be somewhere else/havent got the fire in them (Robbie Keane primarily). I certainly want to see him back but if he isnt mentally up to it just leave him off.

Anyway, barring the worst run of improbable results in Czech history it hardly matters any more (though it would be good to finish above the Slovaks, they have 2 games against San Marino which they will win, and a Czech match they will probably, unfortunately for us, lose). I have this odd feeling we will win our remaining three, and, I dunno, the Czechs seriously feck up in the next two but win the third. Result: false hope raised, not enough points to get to the Euros, but decent enough results to keep Stan in. This will be followed by a victory, or at least a very good defense, against the Brazillians in March odd. Come next winter and WC qualifiers, same oul craic, lack of direction and bizarre sub descisions. We`re on the road again, but we havent a clue how to get to South Africa.

Ah well, cmon the Scots :D Tight run between them, France and Italy but Id like to see them through.

is he also taking a break from his duties at man city?

Why would I give a f*ck about Jamie Carragher?
    Nobody knows what his state of mind is right now, and hammering him for a difficult decision is ridiculous.

Its better he pulls out than plays when he can't concentrate on the game.

Kinda figured you weren't talking about Carragher.

His state of mind seemed quite all right playing for City the last few weeks. I'd imagine Sven knows his state of mind quite well and has had no issues playing him.

Mr Alan wrote:
    Kinda figured you weren't talking about Carragher.

His state of mind seemed quite all right playing for City the last few weeks. I'd imagine Sven knows his state of mind quite well and has had no issues playing him.

but he doesn't have to leave his girl friend alone for days with city.

not to mention the fact of leaving her for _nothing_ we haven't a hope in hell in qualifying.

You have to admire him for his honesty tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Sven has told him to go to a shrink.
    Also Man City pay his wages, its not like he can say no to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mr Alan wrote:
    i'm pretty sure this probably wont go down well with a lot of people on here, but the simple fact is, i dont believe his girlfriend had a miscarraige, i think he used it as an excuse after he had been caught out lying twice.

I would be absolutely astonished at this point if she didn't have a miscarriage. Think about it. The papers immediately checked out both granny incidents. After him lying twice, every rag here and in england would have been chasing this up to ensure that she had actually been pregnant. Its not a difficult thing to check out id imagine. They dont even need to get records of a misscarriage, just that she had been pregnant, as she obviously isn't now.

I do agree that this new statement makes little sense though. The "head in the game" comments aren't really true because he's been playing fantastically for city. I think its more a case of him not wanting to take the flak he's expecting to get, and which he will undoubtedly receive from some quarters.

I think its a bad decision on his part though, it has to be done sometime, and this will only make it worse when he does finally return. If the FAI had some sense they should talk him through this, tell him they'll keep him protected, away from cameras and the public at all times so he can just go out, play his football (on the right ;) ) and then be away again.

As for someone saying they wouldn't play him? He'd be one of the first names on the teamsheet for me, and the only realistic contender for RW with a CM of Reid and Carsley, and Hunt at LW.

• Advertisement

Nunu: how can you guaruntee me 100% that she was pregnant, do you know her? If you do, i will take your word for it, and take back my above comments, but i won't apologise for making them, boy who cried wolf and all that, he lied to everyone involved twice, i see no reason to believe the third reason when the first 2 were lies.

And i would still think he is bang out of order after playing for City for the last few weeks and then saying his head isnt in the right place to play for Ireland.

rebel: I would imagine it would be very difficult to find out if she was pregnant or not, unless her doctor would talk, which they obviously wouldnt.

He has to play and train if City tell him to, they pay his wages.

The Irish team already know what he can do, so here is a chance for him to have a break from everything for a week or ten days.

And this bullshít about not believing him about the miscarriage. I've heard some cold hearted things in my time, but that is horrible.

Mr Alan wrote:
    Nunu: how can you guaruntee me 100% that she was pregnant, do you know her? If you do, i will take your word for it, and take back my above comments, but i won't apologise for making them, boyed who cried wolf and all that, he lied to everyone involved twice, i see no reason to believe the third reason when the first 2 were lies.

And i would still think he is bang out of order after playing for City for the last few weeks and then saying his head isnt in the right place to play for Ireland.

rebel: I would imagine it would be very difficult to find out if she was pregnant or not, unless her doctor would talk, which they obviously wouldnt.

No, I do not know her. I would rather not elaborate on my knowledge and to be honest feel quite uneasy even mentioning it, but all I will say is that I knew she was pregnant weeks before the announcement of a miscarriage.
    Please don't ask anymore on the matter. This is the last time I will refer to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Mr Alan wrote:

ah here, if you are going to believe everything that people put on their bebo pages, ireland is full of amazingly sexy women who will do anything in bed.

perhaps he was lying, perhaps he was talking ****e, perhaps he was joking on his bebo pages. i dont use one, but im led to believe that people arent always truthful on them

Mr Alan wrote:

As a rule, its generally very common knowledge when someone is pregnant. With someone famous like Ireland, i would be surprised if it wasn't reported in some way in the City newsletters or or the website. Id imagine Staunton would know she was expectng. Id imagine a lot of the team would know. All their friends would know. All his teammates at city would know. Sven would know (lets not forget it was Manchester City who first questioned the second lie).

Again, i would be absolutely astonished if the rags didnt look into this. It would have been a killer story for them. Theres not a hope in hell they'd have just let it go without questioning everyone they could, and finding that she was pregnant.

true enough, unfortunately though, for a professional athlete to write something like that, even if a joke is a disgrace, and nothing he hass done since screams dedication or an attitude anything near what it should be.

Des, i understand my opinions seem cold hearted, unfortunately though, i am just being honest, and if i remember correctly, quite a few people at the time shared my beliefs

rebel; the impression i got was that she was only gone a few weeks, in which case people are advised not to tell anyone until 12 weeks have passed because miscarraiges are so common during that initial period.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote:
    true enough, unfortunately though, for a professional athlete to write something like that, even if a joke is a disgrace, and nothing he hass done since screams dedication or an attitude anything near what it should be.
    So? He's a god-damned idiot. Doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings.
    Mr Alan wrote:
    Des, i understand my opinions seem cold hearted, unfortunately though, i am just being honest, and if i remember correctly, quite a few people at the time shared my beliefs
    Look.

"My granny died" is an excuse most people use to get out of work, my jaysis, I've had more dead grannies than hot dinners over the years.

"My girlfriend lost a child" is not something many people will say off the cuff, so I doubt Stephen Ireland would have the brains to make it up.

Mr Alan wrote:
    rebel; the impression i got was that she was only gone a few weeks, in which case people are advised not to tell anyone until 12 weeks have passed because miscarraiges are so common during that initial period.
    Yes, but people don't always take advice given by doctors.

Maybe the girlfriend told her "bezzie mate" and swore her to secrecy, next thing it was probably all over Manchester.

Mr Alan wrote:

I dunno, i really think you're pushing it with this one. I still think its far more likely that they would have found some evidence that a misscarriage occured to have let it go, beit seeing a family in mourning or a funeral service for the unborn child. I really think something like that, a lie that big, would be incredibly hard/impossible to cover up while the media spotlight shines on you itching for a story like this. The way the media danced over their so-called "GrannyGate", it would take a lot of staging and lying from everyone, and I just dont buy it.

The more logical answer, is that she simply had a miscarriage, they greived with their families and that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

DesF wrote:
    He has to play and train if City tell him to, they pay his wages.

I'm not getting on his case or anything, because I don't know what happens in his personal life no more than anyone else here, but surely that bit above isn't true.

Surely he could ask for a couple weeks off to deal with his tragedy? It's not like City are gonna say "No! You have to play for us or we're firing you!"

Did he take a few weeks off, or did he play all of City's games since then? Genuine question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

county wrote:

Completely different situation though.
    DesF wrote:
    Tell you what, when your girlfriend has a fúcking miscarriage, you tell me you are of sound mind, and could actually give a fúck what people think about you at the time, ok?

Mine had one a few years back. I went to her boss and my own, explained the situation and organised the relevant leave, no fuss, no lies and all sorted very quickly. Situations go bad when people do stupid things.

Again before things got to this stage, why did he not talk to Staunton before squads are name or evn after the last game and let it be known he doesnt want to be consodered for a while. He seems to go about things in a way that ensures the maximum amount of trouble is caused.

Has he played for City since the last Ireland game?
    ntlbell wrote:
    but he doesn't have to leave his girl friend alone for days with city.

Thats not why he says he doesnt want to play for Ireland though.

shane86 wrote:
    Ah well, cmon the Scots :D Tight run between them, France and Italy but Id like to see them through.

It's a pity but I just can't see past anything but Scotland arseing it up against one of the small teams. They'd probably be grand if they could just play France and Italy, but like N.Ireland they seems to feck it away at the smaller teams.

DesF wrote:
    So? He's a god-damned idiot. Doesn't mean he doesn't have feelings.

Look.

"My granny died" is an excuse most people use to get out of work, my jaysis, I've had more dead grannies than hot dinners over the years.

"My girlfriend lost a child" is not something many people will say off the cuff, so I doubt Stephen Ireland would have the brains to make it up.

Yes, but people don't always take advice given by doctors.

Maybe the girlfriend told her "bezzie mate" and swore her to secrecy, next thing it was probably all over Manchester.

I honestly wasn't aware, my granny died was an excuse most people would use?! i certainly never would, and you called me coldhearted?!

His girlfriend having a miscarraige wasn't something he said off the cuff, it was something he said after he was caught out in two lies, out of desperation to get himself out of a hole he dig for himself imo.

At best (working on the basis his girlfriend had a miscarraige) the guy is an idiot, with an awful attitude, who lies to his management team . . . have to admit i find it very strange that me saying he is a disgrace has recieved such a bad reaction on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Jesus christ like, if she had a miscarraige, what you are suggesting is just utterly utterly utterly horrrible. If she didn't, then she's obviously also in a very very bad state emotionally and perhaps you should show some sympathy there. ****ing hell like, it's an international against Germany when we've no chance of qualifying, and doesn't matter a damm. What's important? Your job or your wife's emotional health. I'm pretty sure I know what most people on here would pick, infact I'd say most people in the world with any sense would pick.

PHB wrote:
    doesn't matter a damm.

These games are of massive importance to us PHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

county wrote:
    is he also taking a break from his duties at man city?

He gets paid to play for city, its completely different situation...

PHB wrote:
    What's important? Your job or your wife's emotional health.

The fact that he has not taken any break from playing for City would suggest that his gf has not needed his constant companionship. Surely if she did he would have taken a short leave from City, no one there would have be-grudged him that. So the sudden need for him to have time away from football coincides nicely with an international break where he may not be too well recieved.

Mr Alan wrote:
    These games are of massive importance to us PHB

there's more important games in the dodder tbh

Mr Alan wrote:
    The fact that he has not taken any break from playing for City would suggest that his gf has not needed his constant companionship. Surely if she did he would have taken a short leave from City, no one there would have be-grudged him that.

Can you not read? he doesn't have to leave her playing for city do you understand the difference?

play fore ireland - leave girl friend go away with lads for a few nonsense games.

city - train and go home to girl friend....see?

city pays for the roof over his head the food in his mouth bread on table/ ireland does fu*k all

spec savers? 2 for 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

from the guff on his public bebo page, granny-gate, regarded as being a bit thick by his peers, and his general scumbaggish undertones (well he is from Cobh), It wouldn't surprise me if the miscarriage thing is all a hoax as well.

But who knows? I think he's got issues, and if the Irish team wasn't piss poor and out of the running for qualification I don't think he'd be making himself unavailable for selection.

Well, let me explain some simple things for ya Mr. Alan:

He lives in Manchester, as does his wife. The game is in Ireland. Playing for City means ya know, you can spend most of your time at home.

This game means absolutely nothing. If I hadn't already booked flights I wouldn't be coming home for it. Actually, this game is possibly the least important game Ireland have played in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Well if that's the reason, how come he hasn't just come out and said that?

Why the **** would he have to explain himself to you? He told the FAI, that's all he has to do. He has no obligation to tell you anything about his life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement