Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen ireland withdraws from squad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It must be poxy going bald at 21.
    Yeah, it is.:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DesF wrote: »
    Yeah, it is.:(:(

it's a long time since you seen twentybleedinonecheif

ntlbell wrote: »
    it's a long time since you seen twentybleedinonecheif
    Seven years yeah.:)

But, I was going baldy seven years ago, I was going bad in my teens ffs.

I never got in a strop with my buddies over it though, and they used to give me a fierce slagging. Guess I must have thicker skin than others (especially on my forehead).

Baldness is due to a high testerone level.

It's also genetic, my two Grannies were bald, so that's where I got it from.

Oh, and, it could be worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That's what he gets for not bleaching it anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

so can i take it that this casts doubt on the miscarraige story as well? :mad:

i'm beginning to think this guy is not worth the hassle. its been non stop since day one with him. the FAI and to be fair, Bobby Staunton, have handled this guy with sensitivity and he has thrown it back in their faces.

time to cut our losses?

could be a hell of a lot worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The guy already has 2 kids(first at 15) and just broke up with the mother 6 months ago. This new missus is meant to be a right bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

so can i take it that this casts doubt on the miscarraige story as well? :mad:

That is the rumour going around down here since that story came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

psi wrote: »
    IN ANY CASE, there has been alot of personal attacks on the player here, calling him whatnot. What he did may be called into question, but attack on the intelligence, morality or any other personality trait of he or his family will not be tolerated.

Just in case you think I'm kidding, I'll be handing out 2 month bans on this thread for those who ignore this warning.

Rasta banned - 2 months.

I wasn't joking

• Advertisement

According to a couple of the lads on the City fans forum Ireland has paid the FAI back the money they forked out for that private jet to take him home. No official as of yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

FFS this is the kind of thing you'd expect from group of seconary school kids. If the guy has got himself some hair then they could have left him alone about it. He'll get a slagging for losing his hair and then will get a slagging for doing something about it. He can't win! No wonder the camp is in disarray if you have stuff like this being started by the assistant-manager of all people.

Ireland sure sounds like a mixed up kid but this kind of puerile treatment of him can only make things worse not better. In the meantime we lose one of our few match-winners, possibly permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Pigman II wrote: »
    FFS this is the kind of thing you'd expect from group of seconary school kids. If the guy has got himself some hair then they could have left him alone about it. He'll get a slagging for losing his hair and then will get a slagging for doing something about it. He can't win! No wonder the camp is in disarray if you have stuff like this being started by the assistant-manager of all people.

Ireland sure sounds like a mixed up kid but this kind of puerile treatment of him can only make things worse not better. In the meantime we lose one of our few match-winners, possibly permanently.

That kind of stuff happens all the time. Players are constantly getting stick for whatever reason. Admittedly, this sounds like it went a step too far.

Ireland sounds like a very troubled individual and one who seems to have the ability to hold a grudge (eg. like against Kerr). I wouldn't be surprised if he quit international football but I wouldn't go laying the blame on the other players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

If "Daddy Dick" doesn't want to play for his country because he got a bit of slagging over his hair transplant, then I'm not sure what business he has being in the spotlight as a professional footballer.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with his girlfriend, she's dead on.

Just incase anyone forgot, http://www.mulley.net/2007/09/17/is-this-irish-football-international-stephen-ireland-in-a-thong-love-the-pink-dude-love-it/

Stephen Ireland has seemingly grown an extra ear out the back of his head if a picture of the team celebrating Elano's winner is to be believed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So the rumours about him putting his head in a grow bag are true?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Stephen Ireland considering international retirement
    Saturday October 20 2007

Stephen Ireland is said to be considering retiring from international football.

The Manchester City midfielder has recently courted controversy with his decision to sit out Ireland's drawn games with Germany and Cyprus.

And according to City boss Sven Goran Eriksson, Ireland will take a break from Irish duty for the next year with his long-term future yet to be decided.

That would be unfortunate as he was one of our brightest emerging talent. I dont think he will play for Ireland again tbh. He has serious issues he needs to sort ASAP. However if his Irish team mates have been bullying him that would anger me big time. I dont think those clowns are in a posistion to bully anyone at the present time! If they have they should be dealt with and named. Muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

fcuk him, hope he never gets the privilege to play for his country again.

He's obviously got some serious mental health issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Take a break from the Irish squad for a year?

Considering that by the end of November we only have one confirmed friendly between then and the qualifiers in September/October odd of next year, what is that meant to mean?

Speaking of which, any more word on that tournament that was meant to be around August between us, the nordies, Scotland and Wales?

And LOL at the ear photo :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I doubt there'll be any tournament in August. Nothing confirmed but it looks like Italy in March and Brazil in April, both in Croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

darkman2 wrote: »
    That would be unfortunate as he was one of our brightest emerging talent. I dont think he will play for Ireland again tbh. He has serious issues he needs to sort ASAP. However if his Irish team mates have been bullying him that would anger me big time. I dont think those clowns are in a posistion to bully anyone at the present time! If they have they should be dealt with and named. Muppets.

Yeah, I expect/expected great things from him in a green jersey. He's playing very well for City.
    I hope he does play for us again, suppose it could depend on who'll take over the Irish job when Stan goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I can't seem to find this anywhere else in the soccer forum and I don't think it warrants a new thread but what the fúck is up with Stephen Ireland. I watched the match last night against Sunderland and the guy played an absolute blinder and was rewarded with a cracking goal. The what do he do to celebrate, pulls his shorts down to reveal his Superman boxers!

During the match I was in awe of him and the way he was playing and was praying that he returns to the Ireland fold but not now! The guy is a clown. He must have been starved of some oxygen at birth or something. He's 21 going on 8. He's got the world at his feet and if was a bit more grounded, I'd say he could easily be one of the best midfielders in the Premiership. He now has and impending fine and suspension. Sad really and obviously neither Sven or anyone at City can get a grip of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Just read Ireland could have played for Italy....does anyone know more about his Italian roots?

Italy squad.
    4.De Rossi
    5 Barazagli
    7. Irealnd
    8 Aquilani
    9.Pazzini
    10.Rossina
    11.Montolivio

I'm sure there is something wrong here?

flanzer wrote: »
    I can't seem to find this anywhere else in the soccer forum and I don't think it warrants a new thread but what the fúck is up with Stephen Ireland. I watched the match last night against Sunderland and the guy played an absolute blinder and was rewarded with a cracking goal. The what do he do to celebrate, pulls his shorts down to reveal his Superman boxers!

During the match I was in awe of him and the way he was playing and was praying that he returns to the Ireland fold but not now! The guy is a clown. He must have been starved of some oxygen at birth or something. He's 21 going on 8. He's got the world at his feet and if was a bit more grounded, I'd say he could easily be one of the best midfielders in the Premiership. He now has and impending fine and suspension. Sad really and obviously neither Sven or anyone at City can get a grip of him

I thought it was pretty funny....

Lads surely not...According to Wikipedia:

''Since then, Ireland has pulled out of the Republic squad a second time. Rumours have begun circling that Ireland is avoiding the Irish squad due to alleged bullying by teammates. Ireland has supposedly been losing his hair in recent years and is rumoured to have either had a hair transplant or acquired a wig, and this has reportedly led to the player being insulted and severely teased by some of his Irish teammates. This teasing is said to have led to Ireland distancing himself from the rest of the squad and gradually developed into more serious bullying, with one alleged incident involving Ireland being forcibly held down on the dressing room floor for several minutes while teammates pulled out his hair. Ireland is said to be receiving treatment from a psychologist to help him deal with the alleged bullying''

Ireland thinks he is losing his har?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

if thats true its a disgrace somehow doubt it tho. hard to believe anything to do with him.
    the lad jus seems like a fool to me...unfortunatly hes one of this countrys most talented footballers so he should be encouraged to come back.

He probably edited the page himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

In a perfect world we could tell him to sling his hook. don't want people like him around the national team, but as is pointed out, we dont really have a massive pool of great players to choose from, so i presume the next manager is gonna include him in squads.
    BUT that is where the line should be drawn, no begging or pleading for him to come back, include him in the squads, if he doesnt fancy coming over, then fine. he can **** off.

Hunt said that the thing about the bullying about his hair is absolute ****e, that he is always very friendly qith the squad when he is over and there is never any hassel, Hunt then went on to say they if they were bullying people about hair styles he himself would've have had to leave ages ago! :)
    Guy has issues, nothing to do with his gf, or his hair, think he is just a bit mad or just plain not interested in representing Ireland at international level.

I bet Italy came calling but he had already played for he National team by then.....perhaps?

I bet Italy came calling but he had already played for he National team by then.....perhaps?
    WTF are you on about?

Can you please back up these claims about Italy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Just read Ireland could have played for Italy....does anyone know more about his Italian roots?

I heard his roots aren't what the seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Pigman II wrote: »
    I heard his roots aren't what the seem.

LOL :D (if you're referring to his syrup!)

Great goal last night for anyone who hasn't seen it

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3egbx_man-city-sunderland-10_sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i must say i was disgusted with what Sky Sports said this morning about stephen ireland.

firstly they defended his right to pull down his shorts, as it was funny and i agree with them.it would be very harsh to punish him for that.
    however your one Jacqui (sp?) went onto say that it wouldnt be the first time he was involved in controversy as recently he had lied about his grandmothers dying so "he would not have to play for his country".

now whether or not people believe his Gf had a miscarriage or not is not the point, the point is that Man City and Stephen Ireland released a statement to say that the miscarriage was the reason for the incident and it is the medias responsibility to take this as the "story"

for the woman on sky to then ignore that vital piece of the story is being sensationalist imo.

I presume they were refering to the second time he pulled out of the squad?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Great goal last night for anyone who hasn't seen it

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3egbx_man-city-sunderland-10_sport
    Video is gone.

Ya have to give it aul Stevie, he certainly knows how to bring attention on himself.

i must say i was disgusted... with Sky Sports.. being sensationalist

Really?

Erm, maybe you should stop wacthing then.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    But the second time had nothing to do with his Granny. He said it was because he felt he couldn't give 100%

Mr Alan wrote: »

well they must have gotten their stories mixed up because the Grandmother lies were what led to the miscarriage revelation -

there were no grandmother excuses when he pulled out of the squad the second time cus his head wasnt straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Not in the squad.

Don Givens on Sky Sports News, given pretty vague answers surrounding Ireland, says Ireland gave no word form his side that he wanted to be called up. Did you at least ask Don????

• Advertisement

Really?

Erm, maybe you should stop wacthing then.

good advice Des, ill go watch Shels instead.;)

well they must have gotten their stories mixed up because the Grandmother lies were what led to the miscarriage revelation -

there were no grandmother excuses when he pulled out of the squad the second time cus his head wasnt straight.

true enough, not that suprising really, sky being fond of sensationalism?! who would've thought it!? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

flanzer wrote: »

During the match I was in awe of him and the way he was playing and was praying that he returns to the Ireland fold but not now
    ! The guy is a clown. He must have been starved of some oxygen at birth or something. He's 21 going on 8. He's got the world at his feet and if was a bit more grounded, I'd say he could easily be one of the best midfielders in the Premiership. He now has and impending fine and suspension. Sad really and obviously neither Sven or anyone at City can get a grip of him

What game were you watching? Nobody played a blinder. It was an awful game. Citys midfielders, Ireland predominantly, were guilty of giving the ball away constantly. Sunderland were too poor a side to punish them.
    All that said his expertly taken goal does show that he has that little bit something extra that Ireland(the team) doesn't have much of.
    We need him in our squad. Hopefully our new manager can talk sense into him.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Video is gone.

Just clicked on it there and it's working fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just clicked on it there and it's working fine.

It works for you because it's already cached in you temp net files.

the video has been removed.

Seaneh wrote: »
    It works for you because it's already cached in you temp net files.

the video has been removed.

Ah right. Strange though cause I posted it as soon as I saw it for the first time myself.

WTF are you on about?

Can you please back up these claims about Italy?

I guess you could have read just a little further up when I said..
    ''

Italy squad.
    4.De Rossi
    5 Barazagli
    7. Ireland
    8 Aquilani
    9.Pazzini
    10.Rossina
    11.Montolivio

I'm sure there is something wrong here?''

where did you read it?

Wikipedia......it seems a bit too random to make up.

• Advertisement

I'd be suprised if that was true

Advertisement