Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stephen ireland withdraws from squad

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Celtic67

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I'd be suprised if that was true

I heard this a fair while back when he was playing underage with Ireland. He apparently told the management that England, Scotland & Italy were couritng his services as he was eligible to play for all three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

if he said that, and its not true, he is crazier than i gave him credit for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

He's obviously a nut...but I wish him well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I bet Italy came calling but he had already played for he National team by then.....perhaps?
    DesF wrote: »
    WTF are you on about?

Can you please back up these claims about Italy?
    I guess you could have read just a little further up when I said..

Well thats backing it up if ever I've seen it!

As for Ireland, I don't really know whats wrong with him (if indeed there is something wrong with him at all) and to be honest I'm not that interested. If a player wants to drop his shorts to celebrate a goal, good luck to him. Bit weird but whatever.

What I want to know is, how the hell can Fabregas get booked for his celebration against Liverpool but Ireland doesn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The lad just doesn't seem to have much going on upstairs. He's considered, shall we say, the lowest IQ in the Man City squad, and we can presume that there's a few others at City who won't be signing up to Mensa any time soon. He may thank that he was blessed with football talent.

• Advertisement

No...Mr.Joe Soap..I never claimed that Ireland was Italian, I said I read he was Italian, that is why I said ''surely not''.

If Desf had read my previous comment he would have understood why I said, maby Italy came calling but he couldnt represent them because of winning Ireland caps.Hence I finished with perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fair enough, but in the first post that you mentioned his "Italian roots" in you didn't mention where you read it or give a link, hence the confusion.

Well I knew reading it on Wikipedia did not give it much credence, I was hoping maby someone knew if this was true or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I heard the Italian thing years ago. Apparently He told Kerr when he was underage boss that if he didn't get into the squad he'd go and play for Italy or England so Kerr told him to **** off and play for one of them so. Got that info from somebody close to the underage squads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, I've heard many stories of his antics with the underage set up.

He just seems to be a messed up kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I think the Italian thing came from the fact that he didn't like the Ireland underage setup and decided to pick the next country in the alphabet! :D

At that time he could only count to 10 but knew the whole alphabet. Sven now has him counting up to 100 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

He refused to play for Kerr as Kerr wouldnt play him in front of his family in a u19 match in Cork.

Ireland lost the game but had already qualified and Ireland(cork lad) brought his whole family, he refused to play full internationals for Kerr over that. As he had brought his whole family out and they didnt see him play for ireland.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

KdjaCL wrote: »
    He refused to play for Kerr as Kerr wouldnt play him in front of his family in a u19 match in Cork.

Ireland lost the game but had already qualified and Ireland(cork lad) brought his whole family, he refused to play full internationals for Kerr over that. As he had brought his whole family out and they didnt see him play for ireland.

kdjac

Let's hope we don't qualify for South Africa in that case. It'd end up costing him a fortune.

You'd have to wonder what Irelands long term prospects are. He seems to be going off the rails at a faster rate than Gazza. Any takers on finished by 25?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pigman II wrote: »
    . Any takers on finished by 25?

Does playing for Cork City at 25 count as finished?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Does playing for Cork City at 25 count as finished?
    Playing for Cork City at any age counts as finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

DesF wrote: »
    Playing for Cork City at any age counts as finished.

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Micah Richard's column for the Beeb -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7083619.stm
    After all his problems, I was delighted to see Stephen Ireland score Manchester City's winner against Sunderland on Monday.

But it was quite disappointing to hear that people wanted him to be fined for his celebration in his Superman pants.

You have to be so careful nowadays with how you celebrate because it seems that the fun element when celebrating goals is disappearing.

It is not as though he was naked or anything and it was not hurting anyone so I do not really see anything wrong with it.

To be honest, I was supposed to do that celebration with him. We both bought the same pants at the same time!

However, I was not playing so I could not join him - and I am quite pleased now because otherwise I would have got the same stick.

I know Stevie really well, after coming through the ranks with him at City, and his mates here have helped him through his problems, which are well documented.

He lives opposite me - his front door is about five seconds away from mine - and we always help each other out.

I have been out since twisting my knee against Bolton but the good news is that hopefully I will be fit to face Portsmouth on Sunday

Some of the things that have been said about him in the press recently have been ridiculous and, at the end of the day, he is a normal human being.

People are always trying to criticise Stevie but he actually has quite a strong character, so for him still to be putting in good performances for City, with everything he has had to deal with, shows that.

He is a quality player who was always highly rated when he was a youngster at City and is now one of the top players in our first team.

Stevie has so much up his sleeve skill-wise and has a good goalscoring record as well. He is always in the right position.

If you have seen his goal against Sunderland then you can see what good technique he has. Some people would have taken an extra touch and some would have fluffed the volley but, from the way he took it, you can tell he is a special player.

It was frustrating for me to miss that game through injury. I watched it from my box at Eastlands and I was kicking every ball - like any player I just wanted to be out there.

I went down to the changing room afterwards just to congratulate everybody because it was not an easy game.

Sunderland work hard and have some good players. It was never going to be a walkover so it was a good three points to get.

We did not play well and people may say we are riding our luck at the moment but we are not third for no reason.

It was good to bounce back from losing 6-0 to Chelsea by beating Bolton in the Carling Cup and then to get another home Premier League win was important.

I have been out since twisting my knee against Bolton but the good news is that hopefully I will be fit to face Portsmouth on Sunday.

At the time my knee felt really painful but a couple of days later it was a lot better. It was only bruising and I should be back in training on Thursday.

Portsmouth will be a tough challenge because, even when they were not doing so well in the league, going there is always a hard game and they are currently fifth in the Premier League.

We have won seven out of seven in the league at home but we know there is room for improvement with our away record too.

I am not exactly sure what that is down to but it makes a big difference when you have 40,000 fans behind you at home. I did not think that when I used to watch games but when you are playing the crowd makes a difference.

Whatever the reason, we have to get it right and start winning games away from home if we want to challenge in the top six.

It seems that all the young lads at the club get on really well and Steve is just 'one of the lads'. All the players have nothing but praise for him on and off the field. In fact, in one of his previous columns Micah said that everyone wants to be on his 5 a side team and he's the most skillful player at the club. Let's hope he can iron out these little problems and show his true worth to both club and country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,429 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can't help but wonder what ribbing they would have got if they both pulled their shorts down and celebrated together. then told everyone they went underpants shopping together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

flanzer wrote: »
    I watched the match last night against Sunderland and the guy played an absolute blinder and was rewarded with a cracking goal.
    You must be referring to a different Stephen Ireland because I travelled over to Manchester for that game, and the Stephen Ireland playing for City that night was crap. He wasn't alone in his crapiness, but hey he scored a goal and wears superman undies so we'll cut him some slack I guess.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Chippy and tardelli are to go and watch ireland tomorrow:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/

What has happened to his receeding hairline?

Advertisement