Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expert calling for speed limiters

Options
  • 09-10-2007 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭

"The number of people killed on Irish roads could be reduced by up to 30% if new technology was installed in vehicles to make drivers obey speed limits."

That's according to Oliver Carsten, Professor of Transportation Safety in Leeds University, from this article:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/1009/roadsafety.html

(don't shoot the messenger :p )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Professor of F**kwittery? Study after study has proven him wrong. You have to question his credentials and/or motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Study after study has proven him wrong.
    Could you link to some? I would have thought it was the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

phutyle wrote:
    "The number of people killed on Irish roads could be reduced by up to 30% if new technology was installed in vehicles to make drivers obey speed limits."

That's according to Oliver Carsten, Professor of Transportation Safety in Leeds University, from this article:

thats laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

no way, if someone buys a car, the government shouldnt decide what happens to it, people have the right to drive at whatever speed on private land.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Speed Limiters? Idiocy. They'll cause a multitude of accidents. Every few weeks some 'expert' calls for these, and thankfully the public realise how many issues you'd be causing by installing these. I'm hoping evolution will cause the extinction of these so called 'experts' and remove them from the genepool. In the event that Mr. Darwin is incorrect, or evolution takes too long, I'll have a shotgun waiting for the first person to try and fit any of my vehicles with a limiter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

I'll have a shotgun waiting for the first person to try and
    i bet alot of people said this about smoking outside, random breath tests etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

ned78 wrote:
    Speed Limiters? Idiocy. They'll cause a multitude of accidents. Every few weeks some 'expert' calls for these, and thankfully the public realise how many issues you'd be causing by installing these. I'm hoping evolution will cause the extinction of these so called 'experts' and remove them from the genepool. In the event that Mr. Darwin is incorrect, or evolution takes too long, I'll have a shotgun waiting for the first person to try and fit any of my vehicles with a limiter.

Well said!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

'..by up to 30%' ? so realistically, 20-25%? is that all? surely if they intended for this to be taken more seriously he'd have made up a bigger number..? imagine the costs involved (every car? :o ), and then think if they took that projected money and poured it into driver training, safer roads etc (not more shock-tactic road safety ads) and I wonder what out estemed prof would calculate for reduction in road deaths..?

Im all for the breathaliser fitted to cars idea mentioned a few weeks ago, but this ones just ridiculus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I think variable GPS controlled speed limitiers would be great!
    Everyone could drive around with their foot buried to the floor at all times in the sure and certain knowledge that the limiter would keep their speed just under the limit, thus ensuring everyone's complete safety.

I for one welcome our new speed limiter overlords. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

He should tell Pat Kenny about this wonder technology...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

phutyle wrote:

If it will reduce the number killed by 30%, then speed is only a factor in 30% of fatal accidents.

Should we be looking instead at what is causing 70% of fatal accidents?

ANd if it's only "up to 30% , then isn't this basically an admission that in over 70% of fatal accidents speed is *not* a factor?

Stark wrote:
    He should tell Pat Kenny about this wonder technology...

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I'd reckon they'd be really sneaky about it , give everyone a year to get sorted , then go on a speed trapping mission. If you are then caught over the limit ,you must have tampered with the limiter.
    There must be lots of data around by now from speed limiters in trucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

I think it makes perfect sense...:confused:

You'll be limited to 60 KM/H on wide open (non accident blackspot) Dublin dual carraigeways...most of the N11. In rush hour, traffic is generally exceeding 60 KM/H on this road...but thats apparently a safety risk!

And then you can go down the country to the vast majority of narrow country roads (barely able to allow 2 cars to pass) and can drive the absolute sh1t out of your car at 80 or 100 KM/H all day long until you crash and kill yourself or someone else! But you weren't doing anything illegal as you're keeping within the "controlled speed limits"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If cars can't break the speed limit then everyone will just drive with their foot to the floor cause it has to be safe. And we'd never have to worry about rain, mud etc as the box would see these and slow the car down.

I've read and seen before, but have no links, that they have made cars and roads that self drive. But no-one will install them in case of accidents:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I think you guys are missing the point. If technology can help deal with illegal speeding by motorists that will free up resources to tackle other dangerous behaviour such as driving through amber traffic signals, driving on the hard shoulder, going the wrong way around roundabouts, not indicating, hand phone use while driving, illegal overtaking, dangerous parking, not having a valid license etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

I think you guys are missing the point. If technology can help deal with illegal speeding by motorists that will free up resources to tackle other dangerous behaviour such as driving through amber traffic signals, driving on the hard shoulder, going the wrong way around roundabouts, not indicating, hand phone use while driving, illegal overtaking, dangerous parking, not having a valid license etc.

The basic rule of Economics is that people need incentives to do anything.

When seat belts, cushioned dashboards, safety glass etc... were introduced in the US in the 70's the number of accidents increased slightly as people 'felt' safer and so drove with less care and attention.

Limiting the car will only give the perception of safety and people will drive with their foot to the floor (as mentioned a couple of times above).

The best way to reduce accidents is to put a spike in the centre of the steering wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Aren't most Euroboxes limited to 155mph anyway :D

I know the M5 i was in wouldn't go over it anyway !

Motorbikes for provisional A drivers are already limited to 33kw, but its on power output which is understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭KlondikePaddy

Whats the big hurry about on our roads anyway? A guy/girl passes me out and when I come into the next major town I find that they are only two cars in front of me waiting at a junction. Happens every time. Anyone especially boy racers who are caught speeding should have their cars immediately confiscated, sold and the proceeds given to a good cause. That would cut out a lot of the idiotic behaviour on our roads-penalty points arent keeping the number of deaths down-simple fact!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭KlondikePaddy

Forgot to say-yes limit the speed on all cars lorries etc except emergency vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I think you guys are missing the point. If technology can help deal with illegal speeding by motorists...

But how is a speed limiter going to solve anything? What will you set the limit at, 120kmh? That will not stop someone driving at 120kmh in a 50kmh zone outside a school. It's the daftest idea I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But how is a speed limiter going to solve anything? What will you set the limit at, 120kmh? That will not stop someone driving at 120kmh in a 50kmh zone outside a school. It's the daftest idea I've ever heard.
    I guess they're suggesting using GPS enabled technology, as has been trialled dozens of times before without anything ever coming of it. It all sounds easy to do in theory, but in practice I can imagine all kinds of problems, not the least of which would be the inaccuracies of the current maps, and there being no official channels here through which changes in road layout or speed limits can be relayed to the map makers.

I agree though, its a stupid idea, and will cause more problems than it may solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Alun wrote:
    I guess they're suggesting using GPS enabled technology...

So the system would allow you to do 80kmh on this road: RroadLarge.jpg

Laughable!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anyone especially boy racers who are caught speeding should have their cars immediately confiscated, sold and the proceeds given to a good cause. That would cut out a lot of the idiotic behaviour on our roads-penalty points arent keeping the number of deaths down-simple fact!!

How old are you? Anyone who gets caught speeding has their car confiscated and sold? The economic calamity that would cause by literally having thousands of people out there, with no car, and still paying car finance for 5 years. And how exactly would you set up a grading system to determine who's a car enthusiast, or a boy racer?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We have laws because we have the freedom to make choices. Attempting to force compliance with the law in this manner, removes people's right to choose. Imagine if they banned the sale and use of all knives just to prevent knife murders.

Same principle. As others have said too, I also believe this would create a false idea of what is and isn't a safe speed to drive. Drivers need to be trained correctly to use their judgement, not have their judgement replaced with electronic automation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So the system would allow you to do 80kmh on this road:
    Laughable!

I think you need a new example pic, that one's been done to death.
    ned78 wrote:
    And how exactly would you set up a grading system to determine who's a car enthusiast, or a boy racer?

1 boy racer point for every year younger than 25 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

boy racers who are caught speeding should have their cars immediately confiscated,

Way too harsh. TBH, I'd group driving offences into two catagories : Dangerous Driving and Careless Driving. If you're caught deliberatly driving dangerously you should have the book thrown at you.......and maybe a fridge as well. For a serious offence you should do jail time. If you're guilty of careless driving the cause should be indentified and appriopriate punishment given out, but the focus should be on educating you so that you don't do it again. Repeat offenders should just be banned.

Speeding isn't nessecarily dangerous driving. I wouldn't admit to driving at 10kph over the proposed speed limit of 120kph (actual limit 100kph) for much of my drive to work this morning, but if I had, what difference would have made? The road has been deemed to be safe enough to have a 120kph limit and if my speedo shows 130kph, I'm probably actually travelling at closer to 115kph. How is that dangerous driving?

On the other hand, I was nearing home last night at 50mph when someone pulled out in front of me, causing me to brake. The speed limit was 60mph - what good would a speed limiter have done there? The same plonker eventually reached a speed of 45mph and maintained it through the town.......I guess - I slowed down when we reached the built-up area, he rapidly left me behind and started tailgating another car. A speed limiter might have slowed him down a bit but the impatient/ignorant prick would probably have been even closer to the car in front of him when it braked suddendly and parked without indicating.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Speed limiters would be a disaster, even GPS controlled ones. What if you're overtaking a car doing 50KMH in a 80KMH Zone and you've just about passed him when you enter a 50KMH zone. What happens? There are plenty of examples of straight, safe, broken lined roads where the speed limit drops. There are so many examples of when a limiter would do more harm then good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

This is a fookin idiotic idea dreamed up by idiots to keep idiots amused :mad:
    Its been bandied about for years and idiots still pick up and run with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

RobAMerc wrote:
    This is a fookin idiotic idea dreamed up by idiots to keep idiots amused :mad:
    Its been bandied about for years and idiots still pick up and run with it.
    Yip , but there would be a lot of moey to be made if you could come up with a workable one.

Advertisement