Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dropping out

• 09-10-2007 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

i want to, not really enjoying my course in the SLIGHTEST. only hit me about a week ago how difficult it is to concentrate on my subjects. SO boring!

Does anyone know the procedures to dropping out, is it possible to do it NOW, or must i wait till the end of the term? im first year.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I think you want to do the 'dropping out' as soon as possible to avoid losing your free fees. Do you wanna quit completely or do you have something in mind you'd like to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mouseman

Red Alert wrote:
    I think you want to do the 'dropping out' as soon as possible to avoid losing your free fees. Do you wanna quit completely or do you have something in mind you'd like to do?

So i may actually get the fees back?

well i actually want to take another year out to go away. reaply to a different uni next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

You'll only have to pay fees for half the year next time you go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 smallthing

Jus wonderin y u wanna drop out...... if you dont like your course or you want to change to a different college or even take a year out i suggest goin ta see the su education officer, ronan. he's really sound n he's there to deal with any of those kinda problems. On the other hand if it's personal or financial reasons then viv wrath, the su welfare officer's ur man! he's also really sound! let me no if ya want their details!
    Just out of curiosity, what course you doin?

smallthing wrote:
    Jus wonderin y u wanna drop out...... if you dont like your course or you want to change to a different college or even take a year out i suggest goin ta see the su education officer, ronan. he's really sound n he's there to deal with any of those kinda problems. On the other hand if it's personal or financial reasons then viv wrath, the su welfare officer's ur man! he's also really sound! let me no if ya want their details!
    Just out of curiosity, what course you doin?

i dont need help deciding, or should i say i dont need to be "convinced" i want to stay. i want to leave. its awful, the entire stucture of each subject is completely off the wall, i really dont know how people can actually keep track.

by the way, i assume if i were to drop out now, i would not get a refund for the halls of residence?

• Advertisement

fair enough... I'd still say go to the education officer to help you with all the paper work n stuff with droppin out, he's much more approachable than anyone in admin!! Dunno bout the halls of residence refund, i'd ask the edu officer bout that too, but ya might be able to cus they usually have a huge waitin listv ta get inta them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

smallthing wrote:
    fair enough... I'd still say go to the education officer to help you with all the paper work n stuff with droppin out, he's much more approachable than anyone in admin!! Dunno bout the halls of residence refund, i'd ask the edu officer bout that too, but ya might be able to cus they usually have a huge waitin listv ta get inta them

The leader is good, the leader is great, we surrender our will as of this date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 eihcir23

Seriously though, you have until the 31st of October to drop out before you start eating into your fees, so go to some of your lectures.

If you still want to drop out you can a) go to the SU or b) Go to the admissions office. The SU may be easier, but in any case make sure that you do it before the end of this month.

Pythia wrote:
    The leader is good, the leader is great, we surrender our will as of this date.

:p Ha i do sound a bit brain washed... sorry!! It's jus as a class rep it's my job to "inform students of the services offered by the SU"! I only found out how much they actually do in the last week or so, now i'm tellin everyone bout them!!! it'll wear off after a while i promise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

mouseman wrote:
    by the way, i assume if i were to drop out now, i would not get a refund for the halls of residence?

If you drop out now you won't get your deposit back from res but if someone takes over you're room you should get the rest of your rent back - it's dealt with on an individual basis though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭McSween

he is not the only one who wants to drop out :(

just got another test result this morning for something i thought i would have improved on, and i have done worse than the first test.

i am a mature student, did as much research on the course as i could in the last 10 months. i was told it wasn't easy, but it doesn't interest me at all.

my parents will go ape****. the other thing is, i got a very good recommendation from a friend's father who used to be a professor in UL, what do I tell him :o

EDIT: apologies, i got the page by typing "dropping out of ul" in google, didn't realise it was ucd's page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

EDIT: apologies, i got the page by typing "dropping out of ul" in google, didn't realise it was ucd's page

The same general advice here probably applies, and if you go to the EDU tab on the top of the boards.ie window, methinks there's a UL forum too so you can get advice there..

Oui, ici... http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

What course are you doing?

right so, how does one go about telling the parents :S?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

That's the toughie.

Honesty is best.

Also emphasise the positives i.e.

You want to come back and do something else next year.

Dropping out now leaves you liable for a lot less (if any) fees

You can work until you come back and get money together

At least you know now unlike a mate of mine who dropped out at the beginning of his 4th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

passive wrote: »
    The same general advice here probably applies, and if you go to the EDU tab on the top of the boards.ie window, methinks there's a UL forum too so you can get advice there..

Oui, ici... http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=500

In this country we speak english.... :p

Advertisement