Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porter's Five Forces

Options
  • 09-10-2007 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

I am trying to apply Porter's Five Forces to a college setting and I am having some trouble. Who would be considered buyers and suppliers in such an enviorment? Or what would a replacement product be? Or new entrants?

I could use a nudge in the right direction. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Prufrock wrote:
    I am trying to apply Porter's Five Forces to a college setting and I am having some trouble. Who would be considered buyers and suppliers in such an enviorment? Or what would a replacement product be? Or new entrants?

I could use a nudge in the right direction. Thanks.

Look at the UCD model of modular courses:

Students buy courses
    Colllege(or individual departments) sells courses

Replacement product would be new courses from either the same or different college
    New entrants could be either new departments or new colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

A replacment product would be more in the line of on-line education etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

P5F is always (or at least usually) a model of the organization, not parts of it. Try not to do an internal analysis with the P5F. That is what the value chain model is supposed to be for. Try to imagine the value chain in the box in the middle of the P5F diagram.

The key suppliers are the lecturers. There are obviously others, but this is the one that will make the difference. They are represented by unions and so on.

The buyers are essentially the students of various types. It is a little bit more complicated than that, because governments supply a lot of the money to the system. Research is arguably also a product, and again that is paid for by the government and occasionally others.

Competitors are obviously other colleges who look for students and government money.

I would agree that not bothering to go to College, or going to a trade or in-job trading are varieties of substitution.

Advertisement