Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia 8600GT or 8600GTS?

Options
  • 09-10-2007 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Which of these cards is better for a mid-range gaming pc?

PCI-e 256MB NVidia Geforce 8600-GTS TV_OUT_DVI

PCI-e 512MB NVidia Geforce 8600-GT TV_OUT_DVI

Am I to assume that the 512mb card is the better one because it has more memory? I have heard that the GTS card is a good one as it uses DDR3 Memory.

Would like to play Crysis and am wondering will either of these cards do a descent job?

~livEwirE~

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The gts is the better card but if you really want to play crysis you might need an 8800gts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

yep 8800gts is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

livEwirE wrote:
    Hi all,

Which of these cards is better for a mid-range gaming pc?

PCI-e 256MB NVidia Geforce 8600-GTS TV_OUT_DVI

PCI-e 512MB NVidia Geforce 8600-GT TV_OUT_DVI

Would like to play Crysis and am wondering will either of these cards do a descent job?

haha...neither! 8800gts all the way, pick up one for jus shy of 300 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

The 8800 it is then, thx for the advice guys:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Dude , wait a month or so , the new mid range cards from both ATI and nvidia should be out by then and even if you are not going to buy one of them ( although they are supposed to be in the same league as the 8800GTS ) they will at least cause prices to drop.

• Advertisement

forget about dx10.1 There will be no performance increase. And as of yet, not one developer has fully comited to dx10.1 apart from microsoft, and all they can do is make ****e games like halo... Forget waiting, just get a 8800gts now while they are cheap. And they will run anything you throw at it. Including crysis and ut3 !!

Sure you can wait 1 more month for the 8900, but do you want to pay that much extra cash for no performance increase, unless you go to silly high res, will stupid AA and AF ?

Save yourself some cash and get a 8800gts.... I wish i did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭BloodSugarSex

Anti wrote: »
    forget about dx10.1 There will be no performance increase. And as of yet, not one developer has fully comited to dx10.1 apart from microsoft, and all they can do is make ****e games like halo....

although i hate microsoft since they released vista i have to say that halo isn't a ****e game

The man has got to you !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

although i hate microsoft since they released vista i have to say that halo isn't a ****e game

I wouldn't say it was a terrible game, but the fact that it takes high end hardware to run a game that is and looks several years old, not to mention the Vista requirement for online and even official SP play, is an absolute joke.

Advertisement