Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage in galway?

Options
  • 09-10-2007 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering about a garage in galway. I bought a second hand car about 3 weeks ago. 99 micra. Nothing wrong with it now but id like to know somewhere good to go if something did need to be fixed.

Somewhere of reasonable value, good and honest work, galway city would be good.

Just out of interest how much would it cost to get the car checked out. Like get the garage to really look at the car under a fine tooth comb to see if there is anything wrong with it and basically get a review of what needs to be done and what might need to be done in the comming months etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Kilduffs - Nuns Island. Honest guys, no guff and good, well priced service.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

where exactly is nuns island

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

nuns island is down the end of shop street, heading towards nuig - there's a big garda station down that area!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

where exactly is nuns island

From the Cathedral car park, make your way to the bottom corner by the NUIG engineering buildings. Its a one way street, and thats the way to bring a car down.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have the number for a guy in Headford, will look it up

You can also get to nuns island from the Galway Arms on Mill street. Just ask for the Bish, the garage is across the road from the school

• Advertisement

Man i really jinxed myself with this thread. lol.

Got up this morning to go to work. Out to the car. Turned the key in the door.

The central locking did not engage but the driver door opened. I said ah crap. But not too worried.

Then turned the key in the ignition and silence and i mean silence.

The car is totally dead. No lights come on on the dash at all. No electronics come on at all.

After the car didnt do anything the first time i checked all the lights and stuff and they were all off so im stumped as to why i suddenly have no power.

It was fine at 10pm last night.

The battery is hooked up but thats about all i know to check. Any suggestions before i go to a mechanic.

Im in castlelawn heights in galway if anyone is around there and want s to give me a hand. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Your battery's flat. Do you know anyone with jump leads?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

land9 wrote: »
    nuns island is down the end of shop street, heading towards nuig - there's a big garda station down that area!

Nuns Island is nowhere near Shop Street. It's the area between the Cathedral and Mill Street Garda Station. However, you can't drive down there from the direction of the Garda Station as it's one way; you have to enter it from the back of the Cathedral carpark.

For just general servicing, you could use Excelsior on the Tuam Road, beside Suites Supreme, or Ballybrit Exhaust and Tyre (they do service stuff, IIRC).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

OP; I'd advise you to invest in a set of jumpleads; I always keep a set in the car, and they come in handy every so often!!!

ya i borrowed a set from a friend and it did the trick for the moment. Dont see how the battery could have died overnight when i didnt leave anything on.

Gona get a new battery and some jump leeds at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Gona get a new battery and some jump leeds at the weekend.
    If you're buying jump leads, don't buy a cheap, flimsy set - they won't work.

Anan1 wrote: »
    If you're buying jump leads, don't buy a cheap, flimsy set - they won't work.

and by cheap you mean??

how much would a decent set cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,284 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't buy a new battery until you're sure you need one. It's possible you left something on - interior light, or if you left the indicator switch 'set' this can switch on the parking lights on that side of the car (not sure of this is the case with Micra). Also, check the battery terminals are tight with no visible corrosion (kind of powdery crud) visible. Clean and tighten as necessary.

A bit late to be hearing this, but the time to get the car thoroughly checked was before you bought it!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement