Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Touchless car wash in Dublin

Options
  • 09-10-2007 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where there is one?

Even better would be a water tap I could hook a hose up to. I've recently moved from one apartment block to another but the new place doesn't have any place to hook up a hose. My motor is getting filthy...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What is a touchless car wash? If it's any help to you i've just started using some stuff called go-waterless, and i'm quite impressed. You just spray it on the car, give it a quick rub, leave it for a minute and buff it off. The effect on wheels its particularly noteworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think he means a carwash that does not touch the surface of your car with paint-damaging brushes, like most of the ones in petrol stations these days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anan1 wrote:
    What is a touchless car wash? If it's any help to you i've just started using some stuff called go-waterless, and i'm quite impressed. You just spray it on the car, give it a quick rub, leave it for a minute and buff it off. The effect on wheels its particularly noteworthy.

Washing a car without water would just feel wrong to me... :) where does the dirt go, and does it not just get rubbed into the car? (Obviously not if you're impressed with it, but it sounds like something you'd get on the Shopping Channel).

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Make friends with the caretaker and you can bet he has a water supply he would let you 'tap' into :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Waterless washes lift the dirt & grime off the surface and suspend it in the solution but you have to wipe away the lot very carefully with a soft microfibre cloth or it would leave marks in the paint. They are ok to use on a car that is not that dirty (i.e. driven around the city only and not on country roads - so for the townies, city slickers!) but a proper wash is the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I have one of those products that allow you to wash the car without water. It's called Poorboy's Spray and Wash and it's pretty great.

But it's no good for when the car is really dirty.

I've never seen a caretaker on my estate and I've looked all over for a tap.

So no touchless car washes? Guess I'll have to pay 5 euro for a few minutes of pressure hose...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Ernie Ball wrote:

Even better would be a water tap I could hook a hose up to. I've recently moved from one apartment block to another but the new place doesn't have any place to hook up a hose. My motor is getting filthy...

Whats wrong with one bucket of soapy water to wash, then a fresh bucket of clean water to rinse? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Whats wrong with one bucket of soapy water to wash, then a fresh bucket of clean water to rinse? :confused:

That could work but:

1) Washing alone usually requires two buckets.

2) I live on the second floor and would have to haul the buckets down.

3) The usual procedure is rince, wash, rince. So we're looking at several trips up and down the stairs.

But, sure, worth a shot especially since my car is filthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try the 'American' car wash in Omni, Santry, if that's close to you. Not 'touchless', but has long strips of sponge type material that get sort of dragged/flopped along the car. A bit like being attacked by a swarm of giant squid!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

theres a place along the canal (left before leeson st bridge if coming into town from donnybrook) you can pay and wash your own car, its a converted petrol station with 3/4 washing bays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah the american wash in the omni isnt the soft brushes. AVOID at all costs the garage across (esso i think) from annesley on the airport road. worst brushes i've ever seen.

best washes imo are the maxol in the airport or the maxol across from artane shopping centre...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

Those waterless washes will swirl your paint. The car may look clean, but you're damaging the paint.

Two buckets and a lambswool mit is the best way. Get a watering can to rinse off if you can't get a hose out the window. Zymol car shampoo is only €8.99 in Halfords, which is decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

I use the wash in ClareHall shopping center or Artane castle they are both very good i found they are in the tesco car park. I would advise against the wash in omni for a few reasons it can scratch cars and i know of cars that have been damaged in it. if you are in omni ask the guys there if you can look at the cloths in the wash, they are so dirty my car was damaged there and it was only when i walked through the wash and saw how dirty the cloths were i dont know how all the cars are not damaged. omni used to be an excellent wash but it has gone very bad over the past two - three years. i strongly recomend the car wash in Artane castle car park and Clarehall shopping center.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I use the wash in ClareHall shopping center or Artane castle they are both very good i found they are in the tesco car park. I would advise against the wash in omni for a few reasons it can scratch cars and i know of cars that have been damaged in it. if you are in omni ask the guys there if you can look at the cloths in the wash, they are so dirty my car was damaged there and it was only when i walked through the wash and saw how dirty the cloths were i dont know how all the cars are not damaged. omni used to be an excellent wash but it has gone very bad over the past two - three years. i strongly recomend the car wash in Artane castle car park and Clarehall shopping center.

do you mean the guys with the trolley things? they do a great job but there pretty expencive though.,

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

the price ranges between €8 - €15 euro which is not too bad when you think of the excellent job they do and the hard work that goes into it. its the only place i know that dries the car and puts the polish on the tyres

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

the price ranges between €8 - €15 euro which is not too bad when you think of the excellent job they do and the hard work that goes into it. its the only place i know that dries the car and puts the polish on the tyres

Jeeezus, your man was trying to rob me so.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Ernie Ball wrote: »

Can you park your car below any of the windows in your apartment? If you can then just get something like this and run a hose out the window when you want to wash the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

polishin your tires? sounds like an accident waiting to happen ;)

(called it tire dressing back when I used to do it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Morrismurf

Got to agree with highlandseoghan above - the "American" wash at Omni is not nearly as good as when it opened. Original it had novelty value... and a pretty decent wash, but from the look of the "squid" thingys, the material hasn't been changed in years. Nowadays its like dragging a large dirty grit-laden sponge across the car. No thanks.

Advertisement