Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Apnea

Options
  • 09-10-2007 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Im new to this whole forum thing!Have just been diagnosed with sleep apnea..fun fun fun eh!!!..just wondering if anyone has it, how they're coping..any tips??....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I am moving thsi to long term illness, it may be more appropriate there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Welcome (sick) to the club. I have it about six months and have the CPAP machine to control it. I am not sure about giving out email addresses to contact me as the MODS may not like it. There is a support group in ireland who have a website www.isat.ie. Personally I think they are doing more harm than good, but check it out and you will learn some more details.

If the mods allow, you can email me on stifler@iolfree.ie. I will contact you and we can have a chat. This is a disposable email address so it is irrelevant if it is abused.

Jeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 playtara

hi im 23 and i have sleep apnea for nearly 5yrs now but only found out 3yrs ago what it was! not 2 many people in ireland with it then but number seems to be growing

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Derrin

Hi,

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea 7 years ago now, although I suspect I was suffering from it since my mid teens, I’m 31 now. It had been misdiagnosed, one of the diagnoses was depression and I was prescribed medication which I am very glad I never actually took! I agree with Playtara, back then not many people knew about sleep apnea and I have to say that I found that some people still don’t seem to take it very seriously. One comment which will always stick with me was “God, they’ll make up any type of illness these days if your willing to pay for tests”. My mother said that! Lol

I didn't find the ISAT of any use to me.

I’ve been on CPAP and medication since being diagnosed. I had my tonsils removed to help minimize the effect, at the time the doctor thought that the tonsils were the main cause of the problem but they were not. I suffer quite a bit from respiratory and sinus infections and it’s my belief that the infections make the effects of the apnea worse and that the apnea and use of the CPAP prolong recovery from the infections. Other than that and the obvious setbacks of having to plan any overnight stopovers, taking the machine with me whenever I go anywhere overnight and not being able to fall asleep on planes to pass the time I have dealt with it quite well I think.

I'm not sure if I can give you any tips. Maybe if you PM me with any specific issues you're having I might have an idea for you. If you don't mind posting it rather than PMing it might help any other people in the same position as you. Either way I'll do my best to help.

Derrin

Advertisement