Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTS Broadband

Options
  • 09-10-2007 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

I have done a search here but cannot find anything relating to a company called WTS.

http://www.wtsbb.net/about.html

Looks like it is based in Limerick and looks relativly new. Have any of you used this provider? Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

Foggy43 wrote:
    I have done a search here but cannot find anything relating to a company called WTS.

http://www.wtsbb.net/about.html

Looks like it is based in Limerick and looks relativly new. Have any of you used this provider? Any opinions?

From their site:
    Unfortunately, this page is not yet available. Our estimates indicate it should be operational in 2007

Hmm..not sure they're as 'dynamic' as they make out!

It looks like they are one of the companies that set up trying to make good on the GBS scheme. That of course went by the wayside, and it looks like the company did too.

could be wrong though, I've never heard of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Maybe they're testing a newer one of THESE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

They are installing in South East Limerick at the moment, Hospital, Knocklong.
    Install €200
    Monthly rental €35.00

I only know one person that has had it installed. Just over a week ago. He has had 'connection' issues with it from day 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

From their site:

Hmm..not sure they're as 'dynamic' as they make out!

It looks like they are one of the companies that set up trying to make good on the GBS scheme. That of course went by the wayside, and it looks like the company did too.

could be wrong though, I've never heard of them.

You are wrong, and, I have never heard of you either.

jbkenn

bushy... wrote:
    Maybe they're testing a newer one of THESE

I though that would be more your department Bushy, some people talk the talk, others walk the walk.

jbkenn

• Advertisement

Foggy43 wrote:
    They are installing in South East Limerick at the moment, Hospital, Knocklong.
    Install €200
    Monthly rental €35.00

I only know one person that has had it installed. Just over a week ago. He has had 'connection' issues with it from day 1.

The person was connected to an AP to test performance, there have been problems with the AP and it is being replaced, as they have been advised, on Friday.

Within the limits of our resources we are rolling out broadband in Co. Limerick and parts of Tipperary, that is our focus, we don't advertise, we don't need to, because unfortunately, in 21st. century Ireland, there's Bob Hope, no hope, and we are their only hope.

jbkenn

jbkenn wrote:
    You are wrong, and, I have never heard of you either.

jbkenn

So can I take it by that and your below postings that you have something to do with the outfit in question? A couple of words of advice:

Stop being rude/cocky, it puts people off.

Update your webpage, telling people your service costs
    €xx.xx incl. VAT
    doesn't give people the impression of a company that knows what it's doing.

Advertise. Don't assume that you don't need to. Remember, when people have exhausted Bob Hope and No Hope, the next step is usually F**k All Hope.

Finally, if you are 'walking the walk', good luck, just don't turn left onto any short planks.

So can I take it by that and your below postings that you have something to do with the outfit in question?
    Yes I own it.
    A couple of words of advice:

Stop being rude/cocky, it puts people off.
    What people?
    Update your webpage, telling people your service costs
    Don't do websites, do broadband
    doesn't give people the impression of a company that knows what it's doing.
    Hmm. let's see, how about:
    4Mb I.P. Transit and full E1 delivery to a construction site that could'nt get one phone line from Eircom
    1Mb I.P. transit to a company who could not get a leased line for love nor money
    Key personnel VPN access for a number of major multinationals
    Broadband delivery to a number of high tech SME's, some of whom will hit the headlines shortly.
    Changing the lifestyle of working parents, allowing them the option of teleworking.
    would that give the impression of a company that knows what it is doing?
    None of the above have ever complained about the website, in fact it has never come up.
    Advertise. Don't assume that you don't need to. Remember, when people have exhausted Bob Hope and No Hope, the next step is usually F**k All Hope.
    Like I said I don't have to, those that need to know, know
    Because of me, and many other companies you have never heard of, thousands of people in rural Ireland have access to broadband.
    Finally, if you are 'walking the walk', good luck, just don't turn left onto any short planks.
    We will keep shuffling along and continue to bring a ray of sunshine to peoples lives

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Ironic isnt it, the way people talk. In this thread it just took 2 posters to attempt to bad mouth this company for little or no reasong what so ever and for speaking about other peoples circumstances which they know nothing about.

Ironic isnt it, the way people talk. In this thread it just took 2 posters to attempt to bad mouth this company for little or no reasong what so ever and for speaking about other peoples circumstances which they know nothing about.

Thanks for the support bigpaddy2004, but, as one of the small companies involved in delivery of broadband to rural communities, you are more than aware of the obstacles we encounter on a daily basis.

This is Ireland, full of geniuses, as my dear dad used to say, "they would put legs under hens for you, if they only knew what a hen was".

jbkenn

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

WTS is a niche Wireless operator in the Shannon Region , its not a mass market wireless operator with a huge advertising spend and a brand manager with a BMW who discusses 'propositions' at marketing conferences.

There are quite a few of these around nowadays, says it all about Ireland , in general, really :(

Just coz you ain't heard of it in Dublin or in the Meeja don't mean its no good and sure don't mean that a lot of economic activity in its operational area is relying on it every day.

Mine was just a comment on the site , being dated 2006 and having xxxx for prices on the front page

* Home : xx.xx incl. VAT
    * SO/HO : xx.xx incl. VAT
    * Leased Line : xx.xx incl. VAT

makes you think " meh another abandoned project" - nothing personal or no company slating etc-
    I hope it all goes well for you so more people have access to the 21st century

Meanwhile in honour of these :
    jbkenn wrote:
    I though that would be more your department Bushy, some people talk the talk, others walk the walk.
    we don't need to, because unfortunately, in 21st. century Ireland, there's Bob Hope, no hope, and we are their only hope.jbkenn

I found this

bigpaddy, I'm not sure why you think I'm trying to badmouth a company I've admittedly never heard of.

My point FWIW jbkenn is that there are a whole plethora of sites out there referring to failed or never started "will o' the WISPs". If I come along a website that seems half-complete or out of date, chances are you're one of them.

You say you don't need to advertise:
    Because of me, and many other companies you have never heard of, thousands of people in rural Ireland have access to broadband
    Fair play, but maybe if the more of the general unwashed had heard of you, more people might be connected with you. Advertising isn't about people in sharp suits talking rubbish over expensive coffee and wasting your money, it's about letting people know that you exist, that you have a product to sell, and that it's something they might want. You might have a cunning plan for growing your business that doesn't involve letting people know who you are, but you might want to feature it in your plans somewhere.

Finally, I too wish you well for the future. If you are actually delivering a product and not just a promise, fair play, we need more people like you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You say you don't need to advertise: Fair play, but maybe if the more of the general unwashed had heard of you, more people might be connected with you.

Personally I think its quite safe to say that no competent ISP in the West needs to advertise. They are run off their feet on pure demand generated by word of mouth. The customers come to them, day in and day out.

They only have to reach out for infrastructure builds and high sites.

Thats one reason why its so infuriating listening to media fluff like eamonn ryan and karlin lillington on newstalk talking utter crap about demand

There is plenty of demand and only the wireless operators are catering to this demand with decent products and not some wheezy 128k up at the end of some run of substandard and overpriced copper ...if even that.
    Finally, I too wish you well for the future. If you are actually delivering a product and not just a promise, fair play, we need more people like you.

We also need a regulator and we need a government with vision and competence. No chance of those anyway :(

I run my business, as many small WISP's run their business, head down, and get on with it.

I have never pimped on boards and never will, I would prefer this never arose, I have no more to say on the matter.

Now, if ye will excuse me, I have work to do.

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dellsmore

I am trying to be impartial here, but some of these postings got me a little annoyed (yeah - I get my service from the "unheard of company" - IBB jerked me around for months, and Eircom just said "nope").

I know for a fact that all WISPs are run off their feet (thanks SpongeBob for that observation) - they do not need to advertise.

I am puzzled why Foggy43 (registered in London?) is looking for a Mid West BB supplier. I am puzzled why he listens to "bad news". Is it the old story - you're pleased with the product and you tell nobody, but if you're unhappy you tell *everybody*!

Also, I find it amusing that some "witty" posters don't actually say *where" they are - if you don't say where you are, what right do you have to comment? I say where I am. I am prepared to stand over my opinions.

As Jbkenn said - he's in the BB business. Not websites. If the service he provided really was rubbish he would have gone to the wall ages ago. I can do a "sweep" from my radio here - and believe me - there's not that many guys that make the effort to bring broadband out to the "sticks". (And I can do a sweep in the 2.4 and 5 gig bands - can even see the "cloaked" guys).

I *know* why wireless stuff doesn't always work in the "testing" phase (near channel neighbours, harmonics, other providers changing channels etc.). It's not as simple as wired stuff. To complain "it's rubbish" after 1 week, and after you have been *told* it's on test is just plain bad form. Hmmm. That's why it's called "testing"...

As for the "links", well, that's just puerile. A weak attempt at wit.

I think I now need to go and put on the flame-proof suit....:)

dellsmore wrote: »
    I am puzzled why Foggy43 (registered in London?) is looking for a Mid West BB supplier. I am puzzled why he listens to "bad news". Is it the old story - you're pleased with the product and you tell nobody, but if you're unhappy you tell *everybody*!
    Thats exactly what caught my attention , the website looked a little uncared for and suddenly someone going " has anybody etc" seems odd.
    Also, I find it amusing that some "witty" posters don't actually say *where" they are - if you don't say where you are, what right do you have to comment? I say where I am. I am prepared to stand over my opinions.
    Since he has a lot of happy customers, jbkenn should think about sticking a link to the site in his sig. Prob sorted. Then my response would have been " if you are having problems , phone the number on the site instead of whinging here like a kid"
    As Jbkenn said - he's in the BB business. Not websites. If the service he provided really was rubbish he would have gone to the wall ages ago.
    Site is grand , just looks odd with xxxx for prices.No need for drama. Its obvious he has lots of happy customers.
    I hope it continues to go well for him so he can expand and bring those abandoned by Eircom etc into the 21st century
    I can do a "sweep" from my radio here - and believe me - there's not that many guys that make the effort to bring broadband out to the "sticks". (And I can do a sweep in the 2.4 and 5 gig bands - can even see the "cloaked" guys).
    Thank you for purchasing staros,we hope that etc
    I *know* why wireless stuff doesn't always work in the "testing" phase (near channel neighbours, harmonics, other providers changing channels etc.). It's not as simple as wired stuff. To complain "it's rubbish" after 1 week, and after you have been *told* it's on test is just plain bad form. Hmmm. That's why it's called "testing"...
    The reason why someone would come here and try and badmouth a service they don't even have is done either out of malicousness or mmm plain daft ( have better expressions)
    As for the "links", well, that's just puerile. A weak attempt at wit.
    I think I now need to go and put on the flame-proof suit....:)
    stop wasting epaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dellsmore

Bushy - what's "StarOS"? Me only understand Mikrotik.

What's "epaper"? I used to work in a paper mill - never came across that stuff.

Am having a laugh *with* you. Actually - StarOS has problems - too much ripped off code in there....but that is another thread to be started!

Am having a laugh *with* you. iActually - StarOS has problems - too much ripped off code in there....but that is another thread to be started!

another thread ? it'd be a long thread. Nice feature the way it locks up if you are tweaking stuff and don't reboot it every so often.

bushy... wrote: »
    another thread ? it'd be a long thread. Nice feature the way it locks up if you are tweaking stuff and don't reboot it every so often.

Busy, are you speaking of MT or Star?

• Advertisement

Star , here's what happens .. if you keep changing say the distance setting , it can lock up that radio. To suss it ( a long time ago) i logged in over ethernet and wireless . After a few pokes at it , it showed the card mode as "Unknown". If its remote , no watchdog , you're in for drive. Last time I saw v3 , it still does it. Utter muck.
    I don't see what the problem is , they "bought" the drivers/support from atheros, just add OS . It also pretended to support ospf, there is a year long thread on their forums about it.

bushy... wrote: »
    Star , here's what happens .. if you keep changing say the distance setting , it can lock up that radio. To suss it ( a long time ago) i logged in over ethernet and wireless . After a few pokes at it , it showed the card mode as "Unknown". If its remote , no watchdog , you're in for drive. Last time I saw v3 , it still does it. Utter muck.
    I don't see what the problem is , they "bought" the drivers/support from atheros, just add OS . It also pretended to support ospf, there is a year long thread on their forums about it.

It sounds like you have hardware problems. I have been using Star for years, never had a board lock up once. Are you sure your doing everything correctly?

Yip, had star/mt/opensource for years . I just dump it in favour of somehing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

im with wts broadband and the service at times, is great, but i have been left waiting again for this person to come and fix the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LIS

tony1212 wrote: »
    im with wts broadband and the service at times, is great, but i have been left waiting again for this person to come and fix the broadband.

Jbkenn did say Bob Hope,no hope and he is the only hope.patience is a vertue.In an ideal world things never break down,you live in the west of ireland like me.any idea which world this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

At least the blanks have been removed from the website - no prices looks better than

* Home : xx.xx incl. VAT
    * SO/HO : xx.xx incl. VAT
    * Leased Line : xx.xx incl. VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Lol, *Note to self, much start up WTF Broadband*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Without WTS Broadband, I'd be in the land of two tins and a bit of string so sincere thanks to John and all those others out there providing wireless services to those of us who do live outside of the pale and are connected to an exchange that has two chances of being upgraded.

My experience with WTS has generally been good and I would recommend them to people who want broadband for general web browsing, email and some downloading (nothing too heavy mind!). I've never had any problems using VNC or remote desktop over VPN into work either.

Occasionally it has its issues. It has been known to drop completely a couple of times a month usually about 8 or 11pm but most often is back within an hour.

You don't get a public IP address and there are quite a few hops on a 10.x.x.x net before seeing the outside world. I know the number of hops is due to the nature of the network itself but I'd love to see a map to know the 7 sites my traffic is hitting before it gets to the Smart Telecom network! Of course there could always be more than one 10.x hop within a single site...

Speeds are variable depending on time of day/contention but unlikely to reach the full 1Mbit. At the moment they're looking as good as I've seen them in a while on IrishISPTest and I'd imagine Friday evening is quite busy. It's showing 785kbps download and 537kbps upload so I won't complain about that. QOS is at 66%, round trip time of 24ms and max pause 314ms.

I'm not a gamer or haven't gotten around to setting up for VOIP yet so don't know what these figures will do for your experience. Ping times to sip.blueface.ie are currently showing up as 40, 33, 19 and 21ms which in my limited knowledge would imply no problems with this particular VOIP option at the moment.

Just note that figures quoted are those showing up at this very moment, it does vary a lot and the figures above are at the higher end of my experience. I have been let down before where the service was down one morning when I had arranged to work from home but I'd still recommend them for users who would fit into the category mentioned in my second paragraph.

I don't work for WTS or any other ISP but just figured if there were any others reading this thread who wanted some more info other than what's been posted, I'd give it a shot. If anyone wants more comprehensive stats on upload and download speeds, I can run a test once/twice a day for a few days and post the results.

Thanks again to Jbkenn and BigPaddy2004 for not forgetting that the rest of the country does need and want broadband.

Cheers.

Thank you MickLimb for your praise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

just to say i am an extreamly happy customer of wts, so unless you have it dont knock it, how someone in london can comment on issues in south east limerick without using a particular service i dont know, i could comment on the street cleaners in his area but i cannot

Advertisement