Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cal for hunting deer?

• 09-10-2007 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I was wondering if someone can tell me if a .223 is allowed by law to shoot dear with,and if not what cal is the minimum allowed?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

.223 isn't legal; I'm open to correction here, but I'm pretty sure the legal minimum is .22-250.

There's been talk of bumping the minimum up to .243, but I don't know if that's gone anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

.223 is not legal for shooting, I think the minimum calibre is .22-250.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 R_B_D

thanks for the info,at least now i can go about getting the right rifle,all i have to do now is try convince the super:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

good luck takin a deer down with a .22

.223 or a .308 is much more ideal, i have friends in Canada and just go hunt over there when its season, once a year.

and how do i convince my local super to allow me get a .308,id appriciate all the info i could get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

the locust wrote:
    good luck takin a deer down with a .22

.223 or a .308 is much more ideal, i have friends in Canada and just go hunt over there when its season, once a year.

Didn't you read the thread? Who said anything about a .22?
    It is illegal to shoot deer with a .223 in Ireland.

well done tuxy.i didnt have it in me to call him on that one.

who said anything about .22? second post down roxi mentioned .22 as the minimum req...
    i love nothing more than hunting with a larger calibre thats why i mentioned Canada.

Irish Legislation says nothing exceeding .22

To get a rifle the super must be convinced your of sound mind, with no anger problems or known to be a person of violence. No criminal offences in which a firearm was involved, no involvement in subversive groups etc... and you must show evidence of belonging to a gun club and have written permission from a landowner of where you intend to shoot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

the locust wrote:
    Irish Legislation says nothing exceeding .22
    That has changed quite a bit in the last three years locust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

If it's sika deer you're after, a .243 is more than enough. It's a great calibre for whitetails and they get bigger the sika do. Plus you can get a whole load of different bullet weights so you can play around with ballistics and find out what's most accurate for your particular model.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    That has changed quite a bit in the last three years locust.

Has it? Can you show me where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

the locust wrote:
    who said anything about .22? second post down roxi mentioned .22 as the minimum req...

ROFL he says .22-250, a more powerful round then a .223.
    I don't think there is even a round called .22. However there is one called .22lr, which defiantly isn't legal for deer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭marlyman

i think to locust misread rovis post thats all. id say get a .243 as its forward compatible with any law changes, has lots of options for ammo and will do most of the deer shooting in this country.

great stuff,thanks to all for the info.just hope i can pass the HCAP now when i get my rifle.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭The Villain

R_B_D wrote:
    great stuff,thanks to all for the info.just hope i can pass the HCAP now when i get my rifle.:D

Is the HCAP compulsory for all new deer hunting permits? I thought that it was only compulsory at the moment if you wished to take a Coillte Letting, not if you weren't. Am I correct in saying this?

TV

To be honest i dont really know but i think ill go about getting it anyway,someone esle here can probably tell you a whole lot more about it than i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

Is the HCAP compulsory for all new deer hunting permits? I thought that it was only compulsory at the moment if you wished to take a Coillte Letting, not if you weren't. Am I correct in saying this?

TV
    the hcap is not compulsory for deer licence, but if you want coillte letting you will have to get one from 08 i think, got my letting this year they did not ask for hcap.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭freekhead

well i think the mininum for deer hunting is a .223 which is ideal as it can be used for foxes aswell .243 drops to much at anthing over 200m

MV (fps) V @ 200 yds ME (ft lb) E @ 200 yds
    .223 (55 gr win) 3850 3064 1810 1147
    243 Win. (80gr) 3350 2593 1993 1194

the .223 has more velocity than the .243 at 200yards and still has the same energy as a .243 granted its not an 80gr bullet but its still a 50gr and plenty humain for deer hunting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

freekhead wrote: »

Curious to know what load you're using to get 3,850fps out of a .223 with a 55gr bullet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

well i think the mininum for deer hunting is a .223 which is ideal as it can be used for foxes aswell .243 drops to much at anthing over 200m

the .223 has more velocity than the .243 at 200yards and still has the same energy as a .243 granted its not an 80gr bullet but its still a 50gr and plenty humain for deer hunting.

A lot of people think the 223 is legal for deer. However, the current legislation states it isn't ! Your opinion won't count in Court if you get caught shooting deer with a 223 ! 22/250 is the legal minimum

Remember, ignorance of the law is not a defence in law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sandy22 wrote: »
    Curious to know what load you're using to get 3,850fps out of a .223 with a 55gr bullet?

In his opinion that's the muzzle velocity :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

well i think the mininum for deer hunting is a .223 which is ideal as it can be used for foxes aswell

Well if you think that it's okay so:rolleyes:

22/250 is the minimum for deer, and thats even being advised against.

Judging by "Sounder's" pic that he posted recently of a fox he took down with a .243 I cant see why that wouldn't be just as good if not better for foxing than a .223 and it's a deer-legal calibre to boot

Look, 22/250 is the legally minimum requirement to legally shoot deer in this country, end of!:D

Advertisement