Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fireworks: quieter this year...?

• 09-10-2007 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if it's been as quiet around the country this year as it has been in my little corner of it.
    It's only been the last night or two that I've heard any sort of sustained volleys of gunpowder being set off....other years it would have been pretty solid by now and going sporadically since mid-september. Even the first black cats and screamers were late this year.
    So is it quiet round your way? Or worse than usual?

Poll incoming...

Many fireworks in your area this year? 182 votes

Definitely quiter this year.
    0% 0 votes
    More or less the same.
    87% 159 votes
    Possibly worse than usual.
    8% 15 votes
    Maybe you're going deaf OP.
    4% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Ive always wondered why they arent imported/sold year round, the skangs would buy them.

Maybe the importers think theyd spend all their drug money on them and drugs earn them more profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Less fireworks around Pigheads way as well which is bloody great. Shame about the increase in guns being fired though. Still, you can't have everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

A lot less around my way too, actually haven't heard any yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Definitely quieter here, or maybe its just early.

Haha, literally as I typed that last sentence one went off.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

Loads around my way for the last couple of weeks, there are kids as young as 6 or 7 lighting bangers and throwing them in gardens, it says a lot about the responsible parents...

Seeing as I live in Crumlin a lot of the bangs might just be gunshots!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Calm before the storm?

But yeah its very quiet this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Definitely quiter around my neck of the woods this year. I remember thinking the same last year actually and then on Haloween night it was like Baghdad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway city, not a peep so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yes it is quieter now that you mention it. The dog has not yet taken his place behind the telly. I did see some tracksuits pushing a trolley full of bonfire fodder earlier though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Surprisingly few here too... though I reckon they'll start kicking off eventually.
    I wonder is there some supply issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

boreds wrote:
    Yes it is quieter now that you mention it. The dog has not yet taken his place behind the telly. I did see some tracksuits pushing a trolley full of bonfire fodder earlier though.

You just reminded me of an old dog we had years ago. Every year when it came close to halloween we had to keep her in the shed incase she ran away when she heard the fireworks. She's run down the fields at the back of the house and mightn't return for a few days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Too earlier to say, have seen a couple of small bonfires already. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

There's plenty and on timers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

All's quiet around my area too. I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I've only heard one or two and they were just bangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've heard one or two in the distance - but nothing like previous years. I wonder why.............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I think I've heard only one or two. I noticed myself and was going to make a similar thread actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Definately quieter round here too. They're usually left, right and centre by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

this is just the calm before the storm!!

give it a week or so and it'll be like Iraq, round my way anyways!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

F**KING HATE THOSE BANGERS:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

in my part of the city it's usually pretty quiet in the run up. the kids save 'em up for the big day... there have been a few though, Biko lies!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

Maybe people are copping on. I've never have and never ever ever ever ever will buy fireworks ever. Why spend money on a sh1t load of sh1t fireworks when i can just sit back and watch the local skanks Deco, Anto and Paddo who purchased them with their hard earned (HAHA) cash for free. The only difference is i dont get to light them! So myself and the 3 yokels get the very same pleasure except my hands are nice and warm tucked into the pockets of my Lonsdale huddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

crosstownk wrote:
    I've heard one or two in the distance - but nothing like previous years. I wonder why.............

Because it's only the 9th of october.. Wait till a week leading up to and halloween itself, That's when it gets loud down here anyway. When everybody has been up north

Here are the rules for when you can sell fireworks in the UK
    The periods where selling fireworks without a licence is permitted are: November 5th, from 15th October and ending on 10th November; New Year, from 26th December and ending on the 31st December; Chinese New Year, the first day and the three days immediately preceding it; and on the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

hmm, odd, it's actually busier around my area than usual. They've been going for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

It really is much quieter than usual. Normally there is a build up but so far I haven't heard a single firework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

its a calm before the storm im got a stock pile of every differant firework you can buy ( up north ;) )

i cant wait for holloween. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yea it's been very quiet, a bit dissapointing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nice one folks, my market research project is now complete.
    I'm off out to jonesboro market the weekend to buy a grand's worth and head off down to flog them in Dublin suburbs for fat profit.
    Thanks for the input.

*waves Sparkler*

Seriously, though, as far as I can make out it's definitely a supply issue, but more from the point that the guys selling them are being more cautious now and aren't selling for as long in the run up to halloween. Since fireworks seem to be in short supply, the punter is buying what they can and saving them...the phenomenon of other years in our area where you'd have some unscrupulous scum selling bangers to kids from the boot of their car seems to have fallen off.
    Probably be loud as all hell for the 2-3 days around the 31st....thank f*ck I won't be around to suffer it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Some going off but only sporadicaly. Some nights nothing at all so yes queiter, either the Power That Be are making some progress or the skangers are stockpiling them for a night of Shock and Awe.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Started with a vengance round my way last night - about 1 hour after your thread started, OP....i'm pointing the finger of blame!:rolleyes:

Ah well, the peace was good while it lasted.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Generally quieter, but there was one a couple of weeks back that sounded like a nuclear bomb. Perhaps they used all the available gun powder in that one explosion leading to a shortage in available explosives everywhere else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Maybe because the little sh*tes who set these mini-nukes off every year have now gotten old enough to start using real guns - might explain the sudden rise in gun shootings!

Seriously though - it is so much quieter this year. I have not heard one of those huge bangers yet - you know the ones that sound like the sort of things an F15 would be dropping on baghdad a few years back and you can actually feel the shockwave/concussion wave. Well i have not heard a single ones of those yet and in normal years they start going off in early Spetember.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Been pretty quiet around my area too. One or two small bangers going off but then it's only the 10th still three weeks to go till Dublin sounds like it's on the receiving end of an Arc Light strike.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there was only deathly silence around my place last year

but this year is worse but no way near as bad as two years ago.

the dog nearly gave himself a heart attack last year, so off to the vets for sediatives for him :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyStones

irishbird wrote:
    there was only deathly silence around my place last year

but this year is worse but no way near as bad as two years ago.

the dog nearly gave himself a heart attack last year, so off to the vets for sediatives for him :(

Just buy him ear muffs :):)

you can keep the sediatves for yourself:D :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Quiet around here (Blanchardstown).

Out on the green playing rubgy the other day with a mate, two lads were lighting bangers in a bottle. They told us "Stay away from there", to which they promptly recived a "F**k off out of here with those".

Idiots. Fireworks can be fun. Bangers are just plain annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Heard a couple go off just now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

whats the story, why is it so quiet ??

are the cops & customs putting in an extra effort this year??

and how about that big fireworks depot that usually set up this time of year just north of border in bandit country...does anyone know if its in operation or has it been shut down??

They only (legally) went on sale on 15th Oct in the UK.
    Maybe it takes a couple of days for the supply chain to get going. :rolleyes:

Another couple of days and we'll hear (or not) all about it.

Was just gonna dig this thread up but it was in my subs list with new replies....back to a normal level of noisiness tonight, which ties in with what dolanbaker says about the 15th. Lot of rockets going off in the street behind.

As for the fireworks "factory" (shed) out near Clogh, the M1/A1 now bypasses them so I wouldn't be surprised if they've set up shop some place else...jonesboro market will be under a lot of scrutiny this year I'd imagine too

• Advertisement

Slightly OT, but wouldn't it make sence to legalise the sale of fireworks.

Shops would be licensed and could only be able to sell to people with proof of age etc.

Those "markets" just sell to anyone and don't follow any regulations on safe storage of stock etc.

Would certainly make it a bit safer than no law at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Quieter than normal so far where I live but over the last few nights it does seem to be picking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

Shops would be licensed and could only be able to sell to people with proof of age etc.

Those "markets" just sell to anyone and don't follow any regulations on safe storage of stock etc.

No.

Then instead of people having to put in an effort to get the fireworks they could just go down to the local shop and buy as much as they wanted. And restricting it to age wouldn't really work, look at the drinking problem in this country, does the age limit help that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

How do people manage to get them down from the north?
    Do they leterally drive on through with their van stuffed with rockets and nobody says nothing?

My poor dog has a nervous breakdown every holloween.
    It's just not fair on the poor thing :(

Orlee wrote: »
    How do people manage to get them down from the north?
    Do they leterally drive on through with their van stuffed with rockets and nobody says nothing?

My poor dog has a nervous breakdown every holloween.
    It's just not fair on the poor thing :(

That's about the height of it....fill up the car boot, back of the van or in some cases, a box lorry. Given that the border is very poorly policed and the only thing you're liable to meet is a drink/drive checkpoint, there's no real deterent...and the profits are enough to encourage a lot of small time dealers.
    It's not that nobody says anything, it's just the cops have bigger fish to fry most of the time...

My cat hates them too...but he's had it good so far this year. One week in the run up to halloween is acceptable enough...it's a different story when it's 1+ months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I suppose the madness is coming in the next week or 2 but so far its been very quiet compared to previous years.
    The Gardai will probably want credit for that, I guess we have to give them some dues.

As for the argument for "legalizing fireworks" - its quite obvious that Fireworks are already legal in Ireland otherwise you'd not see them at St. Patricks festival etc. If you have the right paperwork and qualifications/certs, you can legally import pyrotechnics and that's the way it should stay, in the hands of trained professionals not local idiots knacker drinking at the bonfire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Yeah right.

I've seen 6 year olds walking around with Dunnes Stores bags full of bangers selling them to other kids "No, you can't light it til ya give me yer 1.50 first!" They're little ****s. The older kids have bigger ones and even more bangers.

I've seen 8-10 year olds out on the green firing these things at one another and diving onto the ground as if they're in a war zone. It's the parents fault. There are two particular families here, one with a family of 5 and one with a family of 3 boys and they seem to be the suppliers. The parents of the family of 5 are split up and the kids live with the mother and her new partner. Their father pulls up outside in his white van and hands them all the firworks they'd ever want and more.

The parents of the other kids around must be condoning it because they let their kids run around in gangs leading up to and after dark every evening. If they even looked out their windows they'd see that they are being thrown at other kids. Judging by the amount of them being let off during daylight hours at the weekend there's no supply problem. I mean what a waste letting fireworks off during the daytime!

There are two boys in particular who stand beside the road (main road) and fire bangers at cars or let off big fireworks right beside the main road, then run off in a footpath beside houses. They're obviously trying their best to cause cars to swerve and have accidents.

There are lots of perfectly respectable families and responsible parents but the 20 or so kids who are let do what they want just ruin the place. Mind you, most of the year they're absolutely grand and just kick a ball around. It's only from mid-september every year until a few days after Halloween. I think it's worse this year and I think that's because the kids are getting older, especially that family of 5. The oldest of them (boy) is about 16/17 and still hangs around with all the kids here, even 6, 8 year olds and they all seem to hero-worship him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Still only heard two bangers go off so far, very quiet round here. Of course the last one did shake the building so maybe they are going for shock and awe after all.

They have just started in Tallaght! First of many over the next few days. ;)

edit: a few hundred went off at a guess or some of those "displays in a box" type

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

one or two bangers or screamers so far, thats bout it

• Advertisement
Advertisement