Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

carhome.ie

Options
  • 09-10-2007 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Thinking of a new business ideas and I remembered seeing an epsiode on Top Gear, where Richard Hamilton and James May went to work for a company who drive and your car home after a night on the town.

It appears that this idea has already been established in Dublin when I was researching the idea.

I havent heard anything about these guys at all.

Has anyone tried them out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭wba88

Ha i was thinking the exact same thing when i saw the program. Never seen them here but have heard they are available. I would be interested in finding out if they are popular here or not though

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

There was an article in last Sundays paper (think it was sundays) about them..

I think there was a similar operation a few years back but stopped due to high insurance prices..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

yup... but it isnt a bad idea imo because insurance prices are starting to come down... so expect to see more in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I remember they were around years ago alright. Never used them or met anyone who did, but I did see guys buzzing up and down the Stillorgan rd. on their fold up mopeds a few times. I also heard that insurance costs put them out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

S.I.R wrote:
    yup... but it isnt a bad idea imo because insurance prices are starting to come down... so expect to see more in the future :)

Hmm...I'm not so sure. I for one wouldn't relish the idea of letting some Joe Soap take me home in my own car whilst I am drunk in the back.

I have no idea how popular this service is in the UK or elsewhere but it sounds to me like an ideal opportunity for the undesirables to.......

1) Suss out the exact spec of your car, custom ICE etc.
    2) Know where you live & where you keep your car (garage/drive/side of road).
    3) Know how to start your car if you have fancy immobiliser - some new systems have codes, for eg, you must press brake twice & turn on rear wash/wipe before turning the ignition key.
    4) Swipe one of your house keys off your keyring and use to gain entry later on (knowing you have had a few to drink and are probably sleeping like a baby)

Not to mention the risk of some unregulated "business" employee causing damage to your car while getting you home (kerbed alloys, scuffed bumpers etc) and any other risks I haven't thought of.

Nope, defo not for me, I have come home from town drunk on many occasion and a taxi has always done the job for me in the past.

No way would I let some Joe Shmo drive my car regardless of their insurance cover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

isn't a taxi just as easy and i assume it would be far cheaper?

the target market would be very limited to the upper classes and to get money off them you'd have to prove your credentials as a legitimate and proper business, sounds to me like it would be alot of hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Has anyone used these guys yet? Im interested in the idea when i get back to dublin. Will be taking my parents out to dinner, and would be a great way for us all to get home at the end of the night. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Better than a taxi when you are dealing with the Friday night after work drinks. Drive to work as normal, have a few pints and get driven home in your own car. Sounds like a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Yeah I contacted them about 2 weeks ago and signed up for it !

Its particularly handy for me for a trip that I do on a semi regular basis.

Its cheaper than taxi out and taxi back and thats what sealed it for me !

They also take your car to and from garages, NCT, blah blah. I was happy with the information I recieved and the guy who phoned me seemed sound.

I havent actually used them yet but I intend to !

BTW I have no connection with this business or anyone who operates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

voxpop wrote: »
    Better than a taxi when you are dealing with the Friday night after work drinks. Drive to work as normal, have a few pints and get driven home in your own car. Sounds like a good idea.

Yeah this is my thinking, parents are not ones to be chasing around dublin looking for a taxi. Going to register for it and see how it goes, still love to hear from someone who has used it though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

wasn't there a company called "slan abhaile" or something doing this a few years ago?
    Haven't heard much about it recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Auto Consulting

I've used them, I had to get to Dun Laoghaire from Enniskerry the morning after a wedding and I needed my car as I was driving from Holyhead to Cardiff. It was ideal, a great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

There's one in my area alright! my dad's best friend sometimes works for them and they do all the nct stuff too! they're very popular it seems!:cool:

Advertisement