Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo ID for personal loan

Options
  • 09-10-2007 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭

Hi

i have an offer letter from a financial institution for a loan I applied for.
    All well and good but one of the conditions of acceptance is a copy of photo ID.
    I don't have an up-to-date passport and have no driving licence.
    I rang the bank and the lady said i should get a letter of identification from one of the following:

A solicitor
    A doctor
    An accountant
    A priest.

Does anyone know what i should bring to say, a solicitor (who won't know me from Adam) and what the charge would be? And could I just walk in off the street and get this proof of ID letter straightaway?
    I also don't have a regular doctor, don't go to church and definitely don't have an accountant!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭low

work id?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Won't your out of date passport do? It's the same procedure needed to get one whether it's out of date or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

Surely it would be easier to get an ML10 form from your local garda station??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

low wrote:
    work id?

It's a blank card for getting through security gates - no photo, nothing.

spurious wrote:
    Won't your out of date passport do? It's the same procedure needed to get one whether it's out of date or not.

The bank official said no to that one.

• Advertisement

Hester wrote:
    Surely it would be easier to get an ML10 form from your local garda station??

Aha! What's that then? (I'll google it)
    She didn't mention the garda so I'll ring again in the morning and see if that'll do. Thanks.

EDIT: found it - now to get a guard (I don't know any) to sign it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭low

get a new passport anyway

low wrote:
    get a new passport anyway

Well yeah, when I'm off abroad next year. Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Get 2 passport photos and head to any local garda station and ask for a ML10 as mentioned above.

ML10 is only issued if you do not have a valid Passport or Driving L.

Get 2 passport photos and head to any local garda station and ask for a ML10 as mentioned above.

ML10 is only issued if you do not have a valid Passport or Driving L.

Cheers, will do that tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

It's not Tesco Loans by any chance? This rings a bell with me. A guy I work with had the same hassle with photo id. Sorted it eventually with a form the guards signed but waited weeks and weeks for the loan to be approved. Are all the lending institutions looking for photo id now when you apply for a loan?

Lizzykins wrote:
    It's not Tesco Loans by any chance? This rings a bell with me. A guy I work with had the same hassle with photo id. Sorted it eventually with a form the guards signed but waited weeks and weeks for the loan to be approved. Are all the lending institutions looking for photo id now when you apply for a loan?

No, not Tesco.
    Unfortunately, i don't have current up-to-date photo id so the bank asked for corroborated proof of id, which is fine. Just the options given were a bit weird to me (a priest????)

Anyway, the local guards were more than willing to sign and stamp the ML10 form which is specifically used for this type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Lizzykins wrote: »
    Are all the lending institutions looking for photo id now when you apply for a loan?

Due to Criminal Justice Act, all customers of Financial institutes (banks/pensions/investments etc) must provide detailed evidence of their identity and address. This is primarily to prevent money laundering.

You only need do this once with an institute (ie, if you already provided these details when opening a current account, you do not need to go through it again to get a loan etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

dotsman wrote: »
    Due to Criminal Justice Act, all customers of Financial institutes (banks/pensions/investments etc) must provide detailed evidence of their identity and address. This is primarily to prevent money laundering.

You only need do this once with an institute (ie, if you already provided these details when opening a current account, you do not need to go through it again to get a loan etc)

i think this is also apply to other professions like solicitors and accountants - they have obligations in regard of money laundering activities under the Act i.e. if you are a new client of those, they might be asking for photo ID and confirmed address.

Marty

Advertisement