Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Downloading music, yay or nay?

• 09-10-2007 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

Do you download music instead of buying cds?

I'm just wondering because it's happened to me so many times when talking to people about music and someone says "yeah I have that album, it's great". When I ask them could I borrow it they say they don't have the cd because they downloaded it.

I love having the actual cd and I don't get the same enjoyment out of listening to something downloaded (Maybe I'm crazy :p ). I've even on ocasion bought banged up used out of print albums off ebay instead of downloading them. Am I in the minority here?

So what do you do?

Do you download music? 22 votes

No! I like having a cd collection
    0% 0 votes
    Yes but I pay for it
    9% 2 votes
    Yes, and I don't pay for it
    18% 4 votes
    Yes but if I like it I'll probably buy the cd
    22% 5 votes
    Yes but only if it's something out of print or really hard to find
    50% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭klaus flouride

Yeah, I know what you mean. You don't value the music as much when its all for free and theres tonnes of it. I can remember putting money aside because i really wanted to get a particular album, or trawling through shelves of bargain c.d.s looking for that diamond in the rough - nobody does that nowadays. I miss it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Always an option 'C'.

Depends on what I'm looking for. Getting music just for the sake of saying I have x amount doesn't appeal to me. I only get it if I'll listen to it so much so I went along and deleted a few gigs of stuff I didn't listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

If I was to vote I would vote A, with a little bit of D and E. Oh and C, but not necasserily in an illegal way, as seems to be implied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,638 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I have about 2500 cd albums and then something hit me. I spent a fortune amassing a collection of rare, out of print albums and for what? Sure its nice to support the artist but a lot of my collection supports ebay sellers too. Maybe I got older and realised spending 10-40 euro a week on cds is not as productive. Now, I still buy the cd but I make sure that its one I really like first by previewing it online if possible. I have far too many in my collection that has 2-3 quality tracks and 10 filler that I skip. Having said that, at the end of the day, for most people its about enjoyment and not about having a collection so if someone only downloads, let them on as it keeps them happy. Who cares whether people have a huge cd or mp3 collection as long as they're happy with their chosen media?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I always download and usually pay. It's pretty handy to put a few albums on my MP3 player, then if I want to hear them from the sitting room I just play them through the Xbox. If I want to hear them at my PC I just play them on that. I don't have a stand alone CD player anymore.

I think Radioheads model might have a future. Download the album and pay what you think it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,371 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I don't really buy much music anymore unless it's something that really appeals to me. It's just seems too expensive and doesn't seem worth it for what you're getting. Will still buy the odd album

I don't really download either though.

These days listen to some music on satilitte radio, a few hours of podcasts a week, concerts of tv

can goto the cinema two or three times instead of spending the same amount of money on a cd

Or feel better about buying a dvd, usually cheaper, two hour dvd with high quality surround sound & extras seems better value than 50 or 60 min cd with maybe 5 songs I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Haven't bought a CD in about 3 years. Haven't listened to one in about 2 and half years.

Will try and get what I want for free but not afraid to pay for it

Advertisement