Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security Alarms

Options
  • 09-10-2007 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

I recently bought a Yale Wireless Home Alarm HSA3400 and I bought an additional 3 PIRs, for a total of 5 PIRs and 2 door sensors. It was very easy to install, but I am sorry. This is no more than a toy. The alarm is faint at best it's hardly noticable and someone at the back of the house can't even hear it, it's suppose to be 104db I don't know if it is or not since I have nothing to compare it to, but it's too faint, others seem to be higher. My other main criticism is that it takes too long to go off. After it's set if you open a door (which has a sensor) and walk pass 2 PIRs and up the stairs it takes close to a minute before the lame alarm goes off. We could all have our throats slit by the time this thing goes off. I know I didn't buy a deluxe alarm, but I expect it to work!!

Overall here are my concerns:
    -Not loud enough.
    -Takes up to a minute to go off.
    -No external strobe or light when armed, only lights when alarm going off.
    -Has Yale written on external alarm box, is this a signal to the thieves that the house has a cheap alarm?
    -No audible countdown during exit.
    -Only one zone (it's all or nothing).
    -No option for or to add telephone dialer (this I knew wasn't included).

Basically, this thing is a toy and I wouldn't recommend it. Unfortunately I can't find my receipt, so I'll be dumping it in the trash as soon as I get a proper alarm.

I think it's a pity because there are plenty of good wireless alarms out there and junk like this gives them a bad name. As far as real wireless alarms, I've been looking for a proper one, but I don't want to get burnt again. I've called a few Alarm companies and got some ridiculous quotes for installation costs, this should be simple provided I find the right alarm at a reasonable price.

So any wireless alarm recommendations and where to buy them??
    :):confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

ive installed hundreds of wirefree alarms and its the same old story you pay for what you get. the best ive encountered is the eircom phonewatch wireless system. they do a cheaper package install which includes 2 contacts and 3 pirs, this is not a good choice as your relying on motions to protect your home which you cant have switched on when in the house. the other option is to alarm the ground floor and any accessable windows. this will keep the cost down initially and you can allways add on more units as time goes on.inertias on the doors and windows and 2 pirs, one in the hall and one on the landing mayby.
    ive lost track of the ammount of those yale and other mickeymouse systems ive removed. as all the sensors are battery powered they dont last long, but a good wireless system the batts will last usually 4-5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Thanks for the replies guys, but I'm well qualified to install an alarm myself and I want to install it myself, but most of the good alarms don't seem to sell to the public, plus I'm working on a tight budget. So if anyone has any recommendations where I can get a good wireless alarm at a reasonable price I'd greatly appreciate it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Kiniska

Yes, I agree Yale alarms are terrible, they shouldn't be able to call them alarms and should only be available in toy stores.

I also tried to buy a good alarm but couldn't find one and I ended up going with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

That's my point exactly! Why weren't you able to buy a good wireless alarm? Why is it all the good alarms are only available to alarm installers, alarm services or wholesale?

Can anyone recommend a good wireless alarm and where to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

While most security wholesalers are meant to be "trade only" the majority will not turn away a customer. A sale is a sale regardless of who is paying.
    I suggest you look through your golden pages and get dialing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Have to disagree with a lot of the above. I bought the Yale Kit 5 on the Internet. Got 5 PIRs, 10 door/window contacts, smoke alarm, and dampness monitor, along with remote monitoring (www.intamac.com) and remote control via web interface.

Yes you do get what you pay for. The cheaper Yale systems are poorly specified because they are bog standard. With Kit 5 you can arm for home/away, bypass certain sensors, etc. The timing on the control panel siren and the bell box can also be modified.

Eircom phonewatch quoted me (at the time) €1500 for 5 PIRs and 2 contacts. Each additional PIR was €80 and each additiona contact €30.

Unfortunately, as I'm on VoIP I cannot use the Internet facility. But I cannot fault the alarm system itself. Here's an eBay link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YALE-KIT-5-HOME-MONITER-AND-ALARM-SYSTEM-WIRELESS_W0QQitemZ300169739813QQihZ020QQcategoryZ41969QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Additinal PIRs: (these retail at €53 in the High Street):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yale-Wirefree-PIR-Detectors-3-pack-HSA3030-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ220169646234QQihZ012QQcategoryZ48636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Contacts ( are €30 in the High Street):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YALE-HSA3010-WIREFREE-DOOR-WINDOW-CONTACTS-PACK-OF-3_W0QQitemZ280173053075QQihZ018QQcategoryZ41969QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Advertisement