Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish dealer or import

Options
  • 09-10-2007 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

thinking of buying 9mm sig what would you recconmend irish dealer or german
    dealer say triebel or frankonia what are the advantages disadvantages

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

thinking of buying 9mm sig what would you recconmend irish dealer or german
    dealer say triebel or frankonia what are the advantages disadvantages

First thing you need is a licence :)

You might be advised to sound out your FO first, because if you go abroad, you'll have to pay in full up front to get a serial number which might be a problem refund wise if you don't get a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

rrpc wrote:

You might be advised to sound out your FO first, because if you go abroad, you'll have to pay in full up front to get a serial number which might be a problem refund wise if you don't get a licence.

In my experience this may not be the case. Some dealers in germany will issue you with a letter containing all you need for a firearms application without you having to lay down any cash. Oberland Arms for example look for no money at all until they're ready to ship firearm. It's worth explaining to them your situation. I bought a HK SL8 rifle a few years ago. The dealer said if the licence was refused he would refund my deposit (got this in writing)

packas wrote:
    In my experience this may not be the case. Some dealers in germany will issue you with a letter containing all you need for a firearms application without you having to lay down any cash. Oberland Arms for example look for no money at all until they're ready to ship firearm. It's worth explaining to them your situation. I bought a HK SL8 rifle a few years ago. The dealer said if the licence was refused he would refund my deposit (got this in writing)

It depends on the dealer. Either way, it's good practice to talk to your FO first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

If you want more choice and a better price shop abroad is my experience. If your firearm has a problem it is a little more inconvenient though.:D

fishdog wrote:
    If you want more choice and a better price shop abroad is my experience. If your firearm has a problem it is a little more inconvenient though.:D

Essentially because of the fact that most dealers here don't carry much parts you'd still have to go abroad for repairs.

• Advertisement

Essentially because of the fact that most dealers here don't carry much parts you'd still have to go abroad for repairs

True

I dont think a Sig will give you trouble anyway.

fishdog wrote:
    True

I dont think a Sig will give you trouble anyway.

I don't know much about the Sig, but I'd suspect that some parts would need to be replaced over it's lifetime. Parts like recoil springs, firing pins etc. would need to be replaced from time to time, so it's probably best to have them on hand before you need them.

I don't know much about the Sig, but I'd suspect that some parts would need to be replaced over it's lifetime. Parts like recoil springs, firing pins etc. would need to be replaced from time to time, so it's probably best to have them on hand before you need them.

Sigs have a long service life and great reliability, this is reflected in the price! Although you may need those parts some day it would be a long way off.

Anyway my advice still stands, buy abroad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

rrpc wrote:

I would think that I would have no problem getting a licence(could be wrong ?) already have shotgun,two centrefire,one rimfire, crime prevention
    officer inspected house 3 yrs ago said no problem for pistol,also member of authorised pistol club,sent triebel email reply said they need 20% deposit and 3 months to get pistol of sig (which would suit me take that long for pistol licence hopefully).get on ok with fo gave me his personal mobile number from when I was chasing up other licences

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭The Villain

fishdog wrote:
    Sigs have a long service life and great reliability, this is reflected in the price! Although you may need those parts some day it would be a long way off.

Anyway my advice still stands, buy abroad!

You can't really expect an Irish gun dealer to willingly take in a sig in need of repair, if he thinks that you bought the gun abroad :mad:

TV

• Advertisement

You can't really expect an Irish gun dealer to willingly take in a sig in need of repair, if he thinks that you bought the gun abroad

TV

I think that is obvious. What is your point?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You can't really expect an Irish gun dealer to willingly take in a sig in need of repair, if he thinks that you bought the gun abroad :mad:
    Of course you can. You're paying for it to be fixed, aren't you?
    Frankly, I'd be surprised if there are any dealers or gunsmiths who havn't twigged yet that the brightest future in Ireland for gun dealers, financially speaking, is in servicing firearms, not selling them.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if there are any dealers or gunsmiths who havn't twigged yet that the brightest future in Ireland for gun dealers, financially speaking, is in servicing firearms, not selling them.

I take your point, but I dont know of any in the ROI that will for example tune a trigger on a pistol. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

My pistol's an ISSF one fish, it's built to be adjusted easily by the shooter. So no, I wouldn't :D But there are dealers and smiths out there who would. Maybe someone else can suggest a name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Sparks wrote: »
    Of course you can. You're paying for it to be fixed, aren't you?

Irish firearms dealers have a lot to learn when it comes to acceptable customer service. i have imported a couple of my guns and was recently told by 3 different dealers that because they had't sold me the guns they could not/would not sell me the ammo (9mm/6.5x55) one went so far as to say I was taking the bread out of his mouth by importing myself, and to take my" f**king business elsewhere", and this from a fella who was €1900 dearer on the rifle. Sparks you're dead right about the servicing but that would mean them actually working to provide a service and those boys have had it to easy for to long.
    i will never buy another firearm of an irish dealer, i have also heard the line about supporting the local fella, but when he expects you to accept the crap service or a bul**** story so he can convivce you to buy somthing he has in stock rather than sell you what you actually want.
    my next project is to try and import my own ammo from Triebel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is ammo importing legal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭SMERSH

dfaf wrote: »
    i have imported a couple of my guns and was recently told by 3 different dealers that because they had't sold me the guns they could not/would not sell me the ammo (9mm/6.5x55) one went so far as to say I was taking the bread out of his mouth by importing myself, and to take my" f**king business elsewhere", and this from a fella who was €1900 dearer on the rifle

I bought my rifle from one guy and I have no problems getting ammo anywhere I want, no one has ever asked where I bought the rifle in the first place. So what the hell is their major malfunction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭GilGrissom

I have heard of this same sh1t from car dealers/garages before. You didn't buy the car from us so go somewhere else and get it fixed.

This is the first time I have heard of it from a gun dealer.

Advertisement