Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

considering Toyota Landcruiser Commercial LWB

Options
  • 10-10-2007 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

hello, i am considering changing from a car to a commercial 4x4, as i like the high driving position, and the fact that they can withstand, the crap Irish roads.

i dont have a vat number and it will be a private purchase, i will buy it outright, and dont want a lease.

can i tax it as a commercial considering that i only use it as my private method of transport.? is this standard? or are there more forms to fill out..so it can be taxed as commercial.

i had a commercial 4x4 back in the late 90's and had no problems taxing it as commercial, have things changed since then?

i have my eyes on a new commercial lwb gx landcruiser, but have heard people say they just drink the juice. does any one have any realworld experience of running one?

i am also considering a commercial patrol, had a look on carzone and the passenger ones are quite cheap, why is this? like for an 07 patrol passenger

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=801969

its only a few bob more than a commercial landcruiser.. whats the story here?

do you rekon there will be changes in the budget regarding these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

hello, i am considering changing from a car to a commercial 4x4, as i like the high driving position, and the fact that they can withstand, the crap Irish roads.

I have recently done the same....get ready for the fuel bills :eek:

i dont have a vat number and it will be a private purchase.

It's your choice of course, by why buy a commercial vehicle if you can't claim back the VAT? Sounds a bit mad to me. Sure the road tax is cheaper but unless you need a huge loadspace for your shopping you will probably get better use out of some back seats (that fold away when loadspace is required ;) ).

can i tax it as a commercial considering that i only use it as my private method of transport.? is this standard? or are there more forms to fill out..so it can be taxed as commercial.

i had a commercial 4x4 back in the late 90's and had no problems taxing it as commercial, have things changed since then?

Taxing it should be no problem as it is your responsibility to declare the catagory of vehicle. I read somewhere that if you are taxing it as a commerical then it must be used for that and not as a private vehicle to get you to & from work - however, (since the late '90s) we now have a dedicated Traffic Garda Corps and if you get stopped at a checkpoint by one of these lads and they start asking questions (eg. What's the name of your company? Who do you work for? Why do you have a commercial vehicle with no tools/goods etc in the back?)........who knows what will happen?

i have my eyes on a new commercial lwb gx landcruiser, but have heard people say they just drink the juice. does any one have any realworld experience of running one?

I have a very similiar size vehicle to the landcruiser and all I can say is ":eek: :eek: :eek: ", I am getting to know all the staff at my local filling station quite well.

do you rekon there will be changes in the budget regarding these?

Let's hope not or there will be a lot of 2nd hand commercial jeeps for sale.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I did 30000 miles in one of these jeeps in about 6months - not a cheap affair. I averaged about 26mpg I think. That was the only real downside.

They have an adequate amount of power and are nice to drive.

What car do you have now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Probably the best of the commercial 4x4's available and that might be the reason they are very, very hard to get hold off. Usually have to wait 4-6 months to get hold of one through an official Toyota dealer.

There are some for sale on Carzone with immediate delivery, but these are brought in from Malaysia to get around the waiting time. Not built to the same safety standards as the european versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭farva

R.O.R wrote:
    There are some for sale on Carzone with immediate delivery, but these are brought in from Malaysia to get around the waiting time. Not built to the same safety standards as the european versions.

How do you know that? it seems incredible that a dealer (independent or main) could get away with something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If I had that kind of money to spend on a car and I wanted a 4x4, I'd be thinking about and older passenger model.

Maybe it's just cos I don't like Toyotas but I really just see a van. I will say that a passenger L-C is nice car though. Prefer patrol, though.

You obviously have money in your sky-rocket and you want a new SUV and to write that kind of cheque so you can look like a brickie in the commercial for the want of a bit of VAT and road tax (when it is for private use afterall) doesn't make 100% sense to me.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=803417

No gymnastics invoved in picking it up either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I have a 2006 Landcruiser and although it is a good all round car it is quite heavy on fuel. 26/27 mpg. Insurance is pretty cheap and tax is only 250 euros a year. The Sat nav in the newer Toyotas is very good, much better than in my BMW and it is pretty comfortable on a long journey. If it wasnt for the fuel consumption I wouldnt have a bad word to say about the Landcruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Land Cruiser commercial is getting an upgrade in spec soon, different colour grille, headlamps and alloys, also standard in-dash CD changer. Price going up a few hundred too.

Be careful with the Patrol, I just read (here) that Nissan took a HUGE chunk off the price.

Advertisement