Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent broadband for xbox360?

Options
  • 10-10-2007 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

We're looking to get the internet into the house (Dublin 15), only we cant get the ntl, and anything that needs a phone line or an aerial(landlord preventing us from putting up an aerial) is also out of the question. Its to connect to xbox live and net for 3 pcs. Any suggestions as to what the best value for money package is?

thanks
    Trilla

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Trilla wrote:
    Hi all

We're looking to get the internet into the house (Dublin 15), only we cant get the ntl, and anything that needs a phone line or an aerial(landlord preventing us from putting up an aerial) is also out of the question. Its to connect to xbox live and net for 3 pcs. Any suggestions as to what the best value for money package is?

thanks
    Trilla

2 options, ripwave or 3G and they are both muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ripwave and 3G/HSDAP are unsuitable for X-Box.

Digiweb's Mobile might work, with the router option, but I don't know where D15 is. The service is in Swords/Balbriggan/Naul/Finglas/Blanchardstown sort of area. It's totally different technology to the Mobile Phone companies "Mobile Internet". It depends on if you can get a signal and what speed you get/need. The ping is good for gaming. I've tested it with Guildwars.

Fixed Wireless Services: (IBB Breeze, Digiweb Metro)
    If you can see the required mast from an upstairs window, then the "wireless aerial" will work inside the window sitting on the sill. Companies are wary of installing that. They are also often coy about the exact location of the masts they use. I've also seen aerials clamped onto a balcony rail. Maybe the landlord would allow that as is it much smaller than a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

thanks lads. so we're talkin €50 a month for out of the box packages, with only 2mb download? that enough for what we looking for?

Which packages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jellycopter

Digiweb is available in my area and just might be the solution to my broadband gaming probs.

I'm on the 6th floor and have a balcony. How discreet is the "aerial", as I'd probably have to conceal it..?

• Advertisement

it's square, about 11" /28cm each way and about 4" / 10cm deep. Slightly grey/ white.

Digiweb Metro:
    Scroll down here to see outdoor unit and indoor modem (it's not a a Router so if you want more than one PC, a Firewall OR WiFi you need to buy a router from Argos or Komplett).

http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_faq.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=98&zzz=hm
    10-5%20antenna.jpg

coax cable comes from connector visible at bottom to your modem.
    Digiweb also do DSL, "Wireless", Mobile Internet/Broadband and two way Satellite as well as a few other systems. So I may not have given the right link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jellycopter

watty wrote:
    it's square, about 11" /28cm each way and about 4" / 10cm deep. Slightly grey/ white.

Digiweb Metro:
    Scroll down here to see outdoor unit and indoor modem (it's not a a Router so if you want more than one PC, a Firewall OR WiFi you need to buy a router from Argos or Komplett).

http://www.digiweb.ie/broadband_metro_faq.asp?i=80&i2=81&i6=98&zzz=hm
    10-5%20antenna.jpg

coax cable comes from connector visible at bottom to your modem.
    Digiweb also do DSL, "Wireless", Mobile Internet/Broadband and two way Satellite as well as a few other systems. So I may not have given the right link.

Cheers, Watty!

So is anyone on here using Digiweb with Xbox Live?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

watty wrote: »
    Which packages?

out of the box net packages, like the indoor aerial ones you suggested

Advertisement