Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lcd mounted on chimney breast Yay or Nay?

• 10-10-2007 8:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Bit of advice needed, We will be moving into our new house soon and I have been thinking of the possibility of fitting an Lcd tv over the mantlepiece on the chimney breast.

Is this a good or bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

It depends.I've got mine over the fire place. Have a look at this link. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055151451

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

Times have changed but the rule of thumb years ago with AV equipment was a Tv should be positioned in such a way that when you sat down your eye level should be in line with the center of the TV. Hence most TV stands being a standard height. The same rule applied to speakers they should be positioned at ear level when sitting for optimal performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Depends on a couple of things:

- How much you have to look up at the mantlepiece; you could get a sore neck if you're looking up too much for a whole night at a time

- Real fire / gas fire / no fire; the heat from a real fire could cause problems for the telly.

Personally, I detest tellys on mantlepieces. I have mine on a stand in the corner with all the AV stuff on shelves underneath, and as MalletHead said, all at eye and ear level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Benster wrote: »
    Depends on a couple of things:

- How much you have to look up at the mantlepiece; you could get a sore neck if you're looking up too much for a whole night at a time

- Real fire / gas fire / no fire; the heat from a real fire could cause problems for the telly.

Personally, I detest tellys on mantlepieces. I have mine on a stand in the corner with all the AV stuff on shelves underneath, and as MalletHead said, all at eye and ear level.

Same here - so I would agree. Having said that it's a matter of personal taste. But I would imagine it's hard to get used to looking upwards as opposed to directly ahead. And the mechanics of it have to be taken into consideration.

If the new house is finished how are you going to hide the menagerie of cables coming from the AV equipment to the TV. I've seen one in a house recently and it's terrible. All the gear on a corner stand and a jungle of trailing cables going to the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Same here - so I would agree. Having said that it's a matter of personal taste. But I would imagine it's hard to get used to looking upwards as opposed to directly ahead. And the mechanics of it have to be taken into consideration.

If the new house is finished how are you going to hide the menagerie of cables coming from the AV equipment to the TV. I've seen one in a house recently and it's terrible. All the gear on a corner stand and a jungle of trailing cables going to the TV.
    I'm sitting 10 feet away from the TV and the room is rectangular in shape so the viewing angle is perfect. If you follow the link I posted above you will see from the picture that I have no cables showing at all. And, that was done in an old house. Hiding the cables wasn't hard. It all depend on the shape of the room and the viewing distance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement