Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No cross hair???

Options
  • 10-10-2007 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Ok rifle buffs, its stupid question time with Al: You have probably touched on this already, I was out with Showandgo last night shooting bunnies (and almost a fox), the problem was I could barely, if even, see the crosshair in the scope. Do you need a special scope for lamping or can I make some sort of adjustment to remedy this? (I didnt fire at the fox because I couldnt see the crosshair- bummer!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭revan23

i use a scope with an illuminated reticle (crosshairs) its very handy for shooting at dusk or in low light... and it has 10 brightness settings.. and adjustable zoom (3 - 12 x) good for short range stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

What kind of dollars are you talking for one of tose guys and are they a good scope during daylight, its probably a case of you get what you pay for, I guess??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What kind of scope is it? The crosshairs on my last scope was too faint for lamping so I had to trade it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ShowAndGo

What scope did you did you end up getting and what rifle did you put it on?

We were using a CZ .22 last night, not too sure what the scope was though.

Tasco (not Tesco!) very fine cross hair.

• Advertisement

it was an "atlas" explorer, pretty good value, and it is no different from a normal scope during daylight, you dont have to turn on the illumination.
    you can get for cheaper than you might expect, try ebay or whatever.

i had a night vision scope a few years ago but i wouldn't recommend them, they are pretty rubbish really... unless you go for a gen2 or higher spec, but then you're talking more than your gun's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭The Villain

revan23 wrote:
    i use a scope with an illuminated reticle (crosshairs) its very handy for shooting at dusk or in low light... and it has 10 brightness settings.. and adjustable zoom (3 - 12 x) good for short range stuff

If you're not too fussy about the brand of the scope, you'd pick up a nice illuminated reticle scope, with mounts, attachable laser and lamp (both thumb button actuated), for about €100 on ebay. It would be perfect on a 0.22lr.

TV

Get out of town!! Thats too cheap to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭The Villain

alan123 wrote: »
    Get out of town!! Thats too cheap to be true.

I bought one on ebay about 12 months ago and it cost about €80 delivered to my door. I have the sights on a Krico 0.22lr magnum, and use it for rabbits. Its perfect. Now I do admit that I haven't the laser and lamp attachments on the scope...its a bit too McGyver for me:D:D

yeah.. like i said... mine was about 100 quid and its a good one.. you can get them on ebay for 50 sterling... perfect for a 22lr...
    i know , i know... im saving....
    (i know my rifle is like a ferrari with steel rims... dont bother pointing that out)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Lads... Please just stick to shooting rabbits with a .22lr do NOT shoot at a fox
    as you will only cause a horrible and painfull death about a week later!!

TomBeckett wrote: »
    Lads... Please just stick to shooting rabbits with a .22lr do NOT shoot at a fox

never shot a fox with a .22lr, wouldn't do it either i totaly agree
    my rifle is a .220 swift

Woooh! hold your horses buddy, we did this thread a few weeks ago and he general concensus was that .22lr was ok for head shot on fox? Hang on and ill find it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

.22lr will kill a fox. The trick to it is shot placement, and doing it under the right conditions. Little lead pill must enter said foxes brain, not just his head, his brain. I have shot, and killed on the spot, foxes out to 80 yards by this method. I would say no further than 100 yards, a huge clause in that would be how accurate the following combination is you+your rifle+your scope+ammo. If you can't put that bullet where you want it on PAPER then forget about foxes until you can.

Is .22lr the best round to use on a fox? Most certainly not. Better to have a centrefire rifle and do the job right.

revan23 wrote: »
    never shot a fox with a .22lr, wouldn't do it either i totaly agree
    my rifle is a .220 swift

Yeah totally agree i have a swift aswell totally awsome on a fox probably very much overkill i even say.. But then again at €2.40 a pop were paying for that extra power.. id have to say i think a .223 is the ideal caliber for foxing and the ammo is cheap aswell what more do ya want:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

a .223 is the ideal caliber for foxing and the ammo is cheap aswell what more do ya want:D

The Super to licence it :D

The Super to licence it :D

Yeah suppose.. aldough I know a few in my aera that have had no problem
    in getting a licence for them.. everywhere is different i suppose...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭quackquackBOOM

adjustive paralex setting on a scope helps that
    had the same prob upgraded to a decent scope and prob went its just you trying to focus on the target and loosing the crosshairs

Advertisement