Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question..

Options
  • 10-10-2007 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I was driving out of Tullamore on Sunday heading towards Kilbeggan.
    When i passed the stadium (there was a match starting), i saw a Man with a little girl walking in the path towards the town. On his shoulder was what i can only describe as a sniper Rifle :D
    It had a scope etc.
    Is this legal? Is it like the US where you cant have a concealed weapon but can walk with it in view.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Saruman wrote:
    On his shoulder was what i can only describe as a sniper Rifle :D
    It had a scope etc.
    Is this legal? Is it like the US where you cant have a concealed weapon but can walk with it in view.

Having a scope doesn't qualify I'm afraid. A scope is also used for hunting. Calling it a sniper rifle implies that his intention was to shoot people which I'm sure you are not implying intentionally.

Your licence here gives you the right to possess, carry and use. Sometimes that means you have to carry the rifle from your home to wherever you're hunting, but usually common sense dictates that you carry the firearm in a slip or case.

This guy obviously possessed a rifle, but not much common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

The whole "carry" part of the licence is a bit hmmmm as well, since if a Garda stops you under the 1990 act for carrying an offensive weapon, showing him the word "carry" on your licence isn't necessarily going to trump the 1990 Act. From his point of view, you could be about to use your licenced firearm to commit a crime the 1990 Act was written to prevent. Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Besides, if it rains and your rifle's not in a slip, it'll get wet and rusty! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote:
    The whole "carry" part of the licence is a bit hmmmm as well, since if a Garda stops you under the 1990 act for carrying an offensive weapon, showing him the word "carry" on your licence isn't necessarily going to trump the 1990 Act. :D

No, but if you give good reason as to why you are carrying your firearm in that manner in that place then he's unlikely to charge you unless you've actually been up to something.

Where the individual was and in those circumstaces, I believe he should have had the rifle cased. There could have been no good reason not to (bar stupidity of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

No, but if you give good reason as to why you are carrying your firearm in that manner in that place then he's unlikely to charge you unless you've actually been up to something.
    See, now you're down to the individual Garda's discretion. Which to my mind is not someplace you'd want to be if you had any choice in the matter - you're fine if it's John from the local station and you've known each other for years, but if it's the new recuit just out the door of the college, you're stuffed.

Besides, like I said, rusty.

Advertisement