Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic Headlines

• 10-10-2007 10:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

I always spot one or two of these a week in the Champion or the Weekender.

Here's my pick this week:

Sligo Weekender - "Driver in fatal crash is recovering" :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

If you took the time to read the article you would notice it was called a fatal crash because other people lost their lives in the crash....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

gustavo wrote:
    If you took the time to read the article you would notice it was called a fatal crash because other people lost their lives in the crash....

Sigh.... I did read the article but the headline is misleading to say the least.
    Be careful not to smile at anything today....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can see both views on that particular headline. But its a nice wee thread and hopefully humorous to boot.

I recall a great headline (well more of a story heading on page 17) in one of our local papers a long number of years ago and I think it speaks for itself:

"Dog bites garda serving dog license summons"

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭-Al-

ha, used to do this a few years back, your always guaranteed a funny headline in local papers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Classic!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This is going to be a great thread. Maybe make it a sticky muffler?

This is going to be a great thread. Maybe make it a sticky muffler?
    Yeah if it takes off I can do that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I have to say it made me look at it the headline twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Reminded me of a classic line from the Simpson's....

“Burns was pronounced dead, then taken to a better hospital where he was pronounced alive.” :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

Maybe we could even move it up a level and make it a North West thing. We can blow the lid right off this baby! (We'll always know it started in the Sligo forum though ;))

• Advertisement

slavigo wrote: »
    Maybe we could even move it up a level and make it a North West thing. We can blow the lid right off this baby! (We'll always know it started in the Sligo forum though ;))
    You mean move it up to the Donegal forum ;)

Seriously how do you all feel about having this moved to the North West forum front page and stickied?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

muffler wrote: »

Seriously how do you all feel about having this moved to the North West forum front page and stickied?

The north west forum has gone a bit dead. I doubt it will get the traffic to be perfectly honest.

I say leave it where it is for now and see if it develops!

Gillie wrote: »
    I say leave it where it is for now and see if it develops!
    That was my initial thoughts - wait and see.

On a general note the NW forum has taken a wee bit of a dip in the ratings with the introduction of the County fora - we are all guilty of being parochial for want of a better phrase.

Im not saying that this particular thread should be moved but something like this should be started in the NW forum - that is something that would be topical no matter what county you are in.

Opinions???

• Registered Users Posts: 25 showgies

I remember two classics from The Sligo Champion

In a public notice for Bereavement counselling it advised that members would be afforded extensive counselling with sex (“six”) sessions!!!

Also remember a caption under a wedding photo that read “Mr xxxxxx, Father of the ride” !!!

That was my initial thoughts - wait and see.

On a general note the NW forum has taken a wee bit of a dip in the ratings with the introduction of the County fora - we are all guilty of being parochial for want of a better phrase.

Im not saying that this particular thread should be moved but something like this should be started in the NW forum - that is something that would be topical no matter what county you are in.

Opinions???

Well we have the 3/4 edtions of the "post", The Sligo Papers, The Leitrim Observer and the Donegal Democrat (Are there more?).
    So surely there would be enough to cover the NW in terms of dodgy headlines.

I have a few threads in mind for the NW forum so i'll pop them up when time allows.

Well we have the 3/4 edtions of the "post", The Sligo Papers, The Leitrim Observer and the Donegal Democrat (Are there more?).
    So surely there would be enough to cover the NW in terms of dodgy headlines.

I have a few threads in mind for the NW forum so i'll pop them up when time allows.
    Yes there are several other local papers in Donegal so it wouldnt be difficult to get the odd "headline" given the standard of journalism and basic English involved.

Maybe we can get a few more opinions on this subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Yes there are several other local papers in Donegal so it wouldnt be difficult to get the odd "headline" given the standard of journalism and basic English involved.

Maybe we can get a few more opinions on this subject.

Ooh, controversy. I like controversy.

smashey wrote: »
    Ooh, controversy. I like controversy.
    Ah sure when you hit the big 40 everything becomes controversial - ask Paddy20 ;)

Happy birthday smashey :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Whenever some of these typos/double entendres come up , i always think of a restaurant in Cascais, near Lisbon, we used to frequent on golfing expeditions.

English translation of the starter was 'Assaulted Mushrooms with a garlic Mayonnaise dip'

Love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I read in a book (see below) about a Guard from Sligo, a few years ago, telling the local paper that Sligo didn't have a drug problem So the local paper ran the headline "No Drug Problem in Sligo".

Some smart ars* photocopies it with "We can get them whenever we want"
    written underneath. These were put up at various places around the town.

(Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawk)

sueme wrote: »
    I read in a book (see below) about a Guard from Sligo, a few years ago, telling the local paper that Sligo didn't have a drug problem So the local paper ran the headline "No Drug Problem in Sligo".

Some smart ars* photocopies it with "We can get them whenever we want"
    written underneath. These were put up at various places around the town.

(Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawk)

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not a headline but what the hell...Was in O'heirs today and heard two wimmen across from me chatting "Yes X, remember if someone kills themselves you have to have them burnt, you can't bury them, cause if you do they'll be in limbo!" (while I didn't look at them I'm sure her eyes were as big as saucers) "What's limbo?"
    "Eh, its when your soul is stuck after you die and doesn't know your dead and it wanders around cause it has unfinished business and it doesn't know it has to go to heaven and eh, when you burn the body you release the soul from it and it can float away."

Had to bite my tongue so hard, it's mad what some people pick up.

Not a headline but what the hell...Was in O'heirs today and heard two wimmen across from me chatting "Yes X, remember if someone kills themselves you have to have them burnt, you can't bury them, cause if you do they'll be in limbo!" (while I didn't look at them I'm sure her eyes were as big as saucers) "What's limbo?"
    "Eh, its when your soul is stuck after you die and doesn't know your dead and it wanders around cause it has unfinished business and it doesn't know it has to go to heaven and eh, when you burn the body you release the soul from it and it can float away."

Must go to O'Heirs this weekend and have a Magic Muffin!

OOoooooookkkkkkk.

*backs a way slowly*

Seriously thougn where do people hear this stuff?

OOoooooookkkkkkk.

*backs a way slowly*

Seriously thougn where do people hear this stuff?

Eh. O'heirs?:confused:

;)

Eh. O'heirs?:confused:

;)

:o I should have seen that coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

O'Hehirs.

Spelt by Sligonians as "O'Heirs".
    Which, to the rest of the world, would be pronounced as "O Airs".
    Correct pronunciation "O-He-Hers".

Apologies all. :) But it hurts me.

All the above is beyond off topic.
    Headline on local Board:
    Muffler BANS Local Girl For Pointing Out Spelling Error

sueme wrote: »
    O'Hehirs.

Spelt by Sligonians as "O'Heirs".
    Which, to the rest of the world, would be pronounced as "O Airs".
    Correct pronunciation "O-He-Hers".

Apologies all. :) But it hurts me.

All the above is beyond off topic.
    Headline on local Board:
    Muffler BANS Local Girl For Pointing Out Spelling Error

You should be a mod!:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement