Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle parking in Dublin

Options
  • 10-10-2007 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the best place to leave a bike in the vicinity of St.Stephen's Green in Dublin? Is bike theft a problem in this area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'd pick somewhere busy, probably one of the bike racks. I've not had a problem myself in that area. Avoid leaving it overnight if you can.

Use a good lock and a shít bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭markpb

How you lock your bike is probably more important than where you lock it. One, possibly two decent looking locks are important and like blog said, avoid overnight if you can. I had a bike stolen (with lock cutters) during the day from the luas stop at Stephens green so nowhere is immune.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Yorky wrote:
    Does anyone know the best place to leave a bike in the vicinity of St.Stephen's Green in Dublin? Is bike theft a problem in this area?
    I used to hook the bike over the railing, by the jacks there - dunno if you still can what with the posh southside luis stopping there now.
    If you lock a bike high up on railings, it's much harder for some gurrier to work on the lock, cuz they'd be very obvious and it's hard to work bolt-cutters on tip-toes....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

I had intended to park it close to the Luas stop (or at it if possible) but am being severely put-off by the advice given here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Saw some girl come into one of the shops - may have been oasis or something - asking the security guard if he saw anyone stealing her bike - it was in the racks in front of oasis/insomnia/tsb there a the junction of stephens green and grafton street.
    Was about 4pm on a busy saturday I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

I'd wait until they get around to installing one of these:

http://www.biceberg.es/INGLES/index.htm

(Not a very response helpful, I know, but a boy can dream...)

In truth, I think anywhere in town is risky. Strong lock, sh*t bike is good advice: otherwise put the bike on your house insurance, buy a big lock and hope for the best.

There are recommendations on the best locks here:
    http://www.soldsecure.com/Leisure.htm

And there's some good general advice here:
    http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=389

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Bunnyhopper, you don't think that's a helpful response? Thank you for sharing this with me! I had no idea people could think outside the box and actually come up with something useful, as in useful to me, a cyclist. These things are brilliant!

When these new (free?) bikes come to Dublin, why can the council not erect a few of these nearby? Seems like a good place for this ad company to place its wares. And I notice that bags and accessories can be included. Also the price seems to be FREE in most places (can't see that happening in Baile Atha Greedy though).

Great to get a bit of hope:)

Advertisement